Gooding video of 275 GTB/C 09051. | FerrariChat

Gooding video of 275 GTB/C 09051.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Aug 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2017
    See here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_UjeCA1hK8[/ame]

I didn't realise the power was as high as 333 BHP. I thought the 3 carb layout restricted it somewhat and the 6 carb 250 LM is rated at 320 BHP.

Info and provenance here: http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1966-ferrari-275-gtbc/

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Dyno's don't lie, but dyno operators do.

3. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #3 mcimino, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Just to clarify my earlier comments. I have no reason to specifically question the power output of this car. My comments were rather to state that engine dyno results can be easily varied by whoever is operating the dyno on any given day. The way the car runs and drives is always the final arbiter of the engine.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #5 miurasv, Aug 10, 2017
    What do they mean by the engine was rebuilt utilizing the finest internal components? Does this mean they are non standard? A 275 GTB/C engine produced up to 282 BHP.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Guys, please do NOT over-interpret things and if you try to somewhat "read between the lines" you may make huge mistakes and wrong assumptions. Do not make things up, please. I am sure that it is meant the correct and standard components (for a competition 275 GTB/C).

Marcel Massini

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  8. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    #8 Ferri, Aug 14, 2017
  9. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    " ... NOT over-interpret things"? Unbelievable 333hp is a stated fact of Gooding and no over-interpretation or any "read between the lines". And with the build sheet no "assumptions" are needed anyhow and the "correct and standard components" could be easily checked ...

10. gte250

gte250 Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Alwin Hietbrink
    #10 gte250, Aug 14, 2017
    Hello,

We have received in the last week multiple emails from people who are interested in the history of #09051. The car was in our workshop at Hietbrink Coachbuilding where we have worked on this car in the late 80’s / early 90’s. The car has a new made body (except the roof). The chassis and sub frames were repaired at a few locations.

The new body was made of 1.5 mm aluminium as request of the client who wanted a new and thicker body.

The original thin racing body was send in 2008 to the new owner of #09051 in the USA.
    This was including the original nose, rear, door panels, boot and the hood.

The information of Gooding is currently incomplete. A few years of history of the car is missing.
    Roelofs Engineering in The Netherlands received the job from F. Leiser (Belgium) for the restoration of #09051.

From Roelofs I received the job as spoken with the customer to build a new body for the car. Leiser requested the thicker 1.5 mm body, because he thought the original body was to weak.

The upholstery was done by the company “Cools” in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1992.

To make the story complete, we would like to receive the photos of re-installation of the original body at Motion Products / MPI.

According to some people, Gooding has a restoration dossier, which would be available at Pebble Beach. If possible, we would also like to see this information / photos.

If there are more question, you can contact us.

Below are some photos of the car #09051 before starting the project, after the re-body and also some photos of the original body that is shipped to the USA in 2008.

Alwin Hietbrink,
    Hietbrink Coachbuilding

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I'm sure you know this, but almost no Ferrari made the power alleged until the 90s, especially the old V12s.

12. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Thank you! This is most valuable first-hand information. It really helps to complete Gooding’s documentation for the late 80’s/early 90’s and it also prevents to make any “huge mistakes and wrong assumptions”. I would like to see the restauration dossier as well and not just hear about it from experts or the auction firm. Because again: history and not auction campaigning should be the issue here.

13. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    I guess that actually still the (wonderful) Huitbrink replica body and no Scaglietti body is on 09051. 1.05 mm thickness makes *visually* different edges than 1.5 mm (+50%). This can be easily checked from anybody by simple measuring and without expert reports or auction catalogues to avoid “huge mistakes and wrong assumptions”.

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #14 miurasv, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Has anyone at Pebble Beach seen the Gooding & Company restoration dossier who can confirm if there is any evidence, photographic or otherwise, contained therein of the re-installation of 09051's original light gauge aluminium Scaglietti body that was removed by Alwin Hietbrink as shown above?

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Sold, hammered for $13,200,000 plus BP.

16. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I have seen all the documentation and photos. The ORIGINAL body has been reinstalled on the car. When the car was under my care, it was easy to tell the body was not original. I also inspected the car at Pebble. It was very well done. Just remember that some people have agendas and you should take certain statements with a "grain of salt".

17. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Very interesting and thanks! However, Gooding nor MPI were willing to provide such confirmation. Let’s eliminate any "grain of salt" of this important car’s history and may be somebody could kindly provide some pictures of the original body’s reinstallation and tell us, who did it and when it was done. Unfortunately, all this is missing in the detailed auction catalogue and the expert reports.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ???
    Care to elaborate ?
    I assume you have fair amount of experience with these types of "visual" inspections and "simple measuring" ?
    Just curious.

19. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    LGS: Heitrbrink rebodied the car in the late 1980s-early 1990s, but kept the original body which was not badly damaged. The man who sold the car at Gooding's was able to acquire the original body from Heitrbrink, and MPI reinstalled the original body on the chassis in 2013. I have seen a number of photos of the work, but they belong to the seller (and the new owner) and I am not at liberty to release them.

20. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    This is my naïve understanding and last humble knowledge about physics: If you bend 1.0 mm instead of 1.5 mm (+50%) thickness, that produces a smaller radius and different, sharper edges.

And finally: Measure, if the roof has 1 mm and the rest 1.5 mm thickness ….

21. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Thanks. Fully understood and accepted!

However, the real issue here is history and the problem campaigning of auctioneers and experts with incomplete information and undocumented claims. If you don’t present the market long stories about the first owner's wife’s favourite dog and its birth date but instead just the unbroken, documented and complete history of the car’s frame, body and engine, any “huge mistakes and wrong assumptions” or hidden agendas will be avoided.

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #22 TTR, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Theoretically fair assumption, but in reality when sheetmetal, especially in these these thicknesses, is formed/shaped, whether by breaking, hammering, rolling, stretching, etc it tends to loose its manufactured conformity. In some cases it can do that to +/- 50%.

Also, assessing/measuring sheetmetal thickness of coachwork in a refinished automoblie can be hampered by thicknesses of materials, including fillers, primers, sealers, paints, etc. applied on top of metal finished panel.

P.S. Above comments are only opinions based on my personal hands-on experiences, though admittedly I have none with alloy body 275 GTB/C.

23. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Hidden agendas :)

Research is a key factor. It is important to know as much as possible about a car, with every little detail. People invest huge amounts of money and they want to know what they buy. It is all about doing your homework or have it done by a real expert.

24. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Relevant, unbroken and documented information is the issue here - and elsewhere. The re-conversion of a steel GTB from later added competition features and the switch of its “incorrect” chassis number got recently declared from an expert poster as “… now back to original and really superbly done … “. Of course, these are happy news, but detailed information about the re-conversion and miraculous switch of chassis numbers would be of far higher historic importance, than mentioning the used Salchi colour code. And yes, if you buy an important car, you have to independently check unseen of any expert reports, certificates and auction catalogues, because anyone commissioned from the seller does have his horse in the race and own agenda.

25. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #25 GIOTTO, Aug 31, 2017