Gooding video of 275 GTB/C 09051. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gooding video of 275 GTB/C 09051.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Aug 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
  2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #09051 - Targa-Florio 1969 with n°114.

3. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    #28 lgs, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Thanks again. Correlations of the pictured TF accident damages and the ‘Hietbrink original front’ are hard to tell (post 25, 8 and 10). Would be interesting to know if any battle traces of TF 69 (and if yes how) can be seen on the car’s actual front. But no side pipes and dual system at TF 69.

4. Schlesser

Schlesser Karting

Feb 12, 2013
    Here a general question: How can we get better transparency of hard-raced cars' restoration history and originality?
    What could really help?

5. Schlesser

Schlesser Karting

Feb 12, 2013
    Where is the car now and do we have any chance to see it displayed or racing? I passionately hope it will not disappear from the public after the auction...like some other cars.

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #31 miurasv, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    At the very least the auction houses, in this case Gooding & Company and their Associates should respond to enquiries about the car. Somebody very interested in 275 GTB/C 09051 asked me to get in touch with Gooding & Company to ask about the body as Mr Hietbrink had posted picture evidence that he had rebodied it and therefore for Gooding & Company to supply evidence of the re-installment of the original body which they claim the car has.

Firstly I sent an email to their website email address to which there was no response so I sent an email to Associate David Brynan. Again no response so I sent an email to Associate Joe Twyman. Yet again no response. I wasn't previously aware that Gooding & Company employed monkeys but as this experience with them has made me think otherwise, I thought I'd better email the organ grinder himself, David Gooding, but you guessed it, no response.

During this time as there was no response from Gooding & Company, I contacted Motion Products Inc to ask if the original body had been re-installed. They replied that the owner is very private and they are not allowed to release any info. Eventually after further email exchanges they said that the original body had been re-installed and that the work was executed by Motion Products Inc, but after I requested picture evidence they replied that they weren't authorised to release any information and to get in touch with Gooding & Company. I believe MPI were trying to be helpful and they quite rightly stated that they were not selling the car and reiterated that I should contact Gooding & Company.

As Gooding & Company did not respond at all, even to acknowledge receipt of any of my emails and then the requested picture evidence of the re-installation of the original body was not supplied, the person I was acting on behalf of was no longer interested in the car.

My experience has been that Gooding & Company did not act in the best interest of their client or their own company for that matter. The person I was acting on behalf of did not indicate to what level he was prepared to bid on this car but I can say that he has a significant collection which includes cars of a similar value. Had Gooding & Company responded with the requested information, 275 GTB/C 09051 may have had a different owner than the one it has today and more importantly for Gooding & Company's client, the consignor, he may have realised a higher price....

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Steve: The major auction companies have to operate within the consignor's instructions in how they respond to questions about a specific car. Apparently the consignor had requested Gooding to not discuss certain items. To you or me, it might have made more sense to fully disclose the installation of the original body, but we were not selling the car. Contrary to your experience, I have found Gooding to be very quick to reply and accommodating to requests regarding cars for auction. In any case, 9051 is with a new home and more correct than it has been for many years.

8. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Pictures of the bare body and chassis and an ‘explosion picture’ presenting all used engine parts. All this *before* painting and assembly and: showing all welds and available numbers. The truth is in the metal and a few pictures would offer all relevant information and provide more transparency of the car’s status than most expert reports and catalogues. But overall: Repair and preserve if possible because any restauration (and re-restauration) destroy per se history and originality. And never manipulate the smile of Mona Lisa. Not the taste of the owner or restorer should be reflected but the purpose, nature and character of the original. 09051 had certainly not left the factory in such ‘perfection’ and with that output (and a dual exhaust system).

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you for your reply, Dyke.

It was all a bit suspicious that Gooding & Company did not disclose the ownership of Francois Leiser and the thicker gauge aluminium rebody he commissioned Alwin Hietbrink to do. Mr Hietbrink posted the details and pictures of the rebody in this thread so it could not be denied. If the original Scaglietti body had actually been reinstalled why not reply and disclose the details and pictures of the re-installation? Why the secrecy? If the omission wasn't on purpose, and a mistake, or even if it was on purpose, they were given the chance to allay concerns by replying with the requested information but instead they discourteously chose not to reply which compounded the suspicion. My interested party naturally had to conclude by their failure to even acknowledge and reply to reasonable requests for information on a multi million dollar car, and in the absence of any evidence, that the original body had not been re-installed, regardless of whether that really was the case or not.

10. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    The only thing worse than a liar is a liar that's also a hypocrite Mr. Robertson.
    What would their motivation be?
    I found numbers and letters somewhere in a document or report: F.Y. 298-281-674

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I'm sorry, Tom but I don't understand your post.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Now, that's some funny commentary right above.

13. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Can you really add something to this discussion or are you just annoying an other poster?