Where are all the Pebble Beach Photographs?!? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Where are all the Pebble Beach Photographs?!?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 134282, Aug 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #126 ferrarip4, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    In the other hand the resemblance is too obvious to be ignored. I will suggest that Sergio, like most designers, is a proud man and would not admit he would be inspired by another car...

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

2. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    Relative to other people here I dunno crap.

That being said if you think the the 0402 is ugly I truly recommend an eye exam. I would also refrain from using large knives / power tools or driving until you do so.

Similarities can be seen between the overall size of 300slr and 0402 but really thats when you are looking in photos. 0402 is much sleeker and skinnier looking. The 300slr is more bubbly and doesn't have the curvature. Really I think over the rear wheel looks similar in photos and gives the impression of a similar shape. 300 slr looks shaped out of a big square where 0402 looks sculpted by the finest most elegant lines ever known to man

0402 is stunning in person. After seeing it up close in beautiful light it's arguably one of the prettiest ferraris ever made

Disclaimer just one mans opinion

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I was not exactly guessing when I said that I would like to find solid proof for a claim about any connection between the Uhlenhaut Coupe and 0402AM.

Lines of 0402AM had been penned long before Uhlenhaut was out and I don't think Mercedes released any premature material on their special coupe project.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Uhlenhaut was a (very well made) mix-match of the street 300SL and race 300SLR. I agree and don't think that it necessarily influenced the design of the Ferrari, just a bit of a coincidence. They were designed for different purposes, anyway.

I like the rear "fastback" treatment of the Mercedes, compared to 0402AM's "boxy" cabin design, but overall I prefer the Ferrari.

5. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #130 ferrarip4, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The people from ultimate-car-page claim that the Scaglietti people who converted the spider to coupe body of 0402AM were inspired by the SLR.

It is also said that Sergio Farina was not responsible for the coupé body which was created by Scaglietti after the car was accidented...

I believe the spider Pinin Farina body was more like this...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #131 kare, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Opinions, opinions, opinions.

Would love to see documentation on the accident too. People always think an accident was needed to initiate a modification or building of a new body as they don't have the faintest idea how CHEAP it was to have a car rebuilt at the time. I am quite sure the car was not crashed before rebodying, several stories are being confused here. The idea of building a Berlinetta to replace the unworthy Pinin Farina body initiated late in 1954. By March-April 1955 it was in construction already, Uhlenhaut was released late in 1955, it had not been shown yet at the time of Le Mans (June 1955). How could Scaglietti be inspired by something that did not exist yet?

ps. I have no idea why Sergio Farina - or any other person involved with Pinin Farina - would get mentioned here.

7. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    Reference to the accident:
    Jalopnik: deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu
    Hemmings: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/08/17/for-first-time-ever-a-ferrari-wins-pebble-beach-best-in-show/

Reference to the SLR:
    Ferrari Ends Pre-war Domination of Pebble?s Best of Show

The last link is very interesting....

8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    They built two 300-SLR Coupe, both at the DB Museum. #0007/55 and #0008/55.

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Words are cheap, looking for photographic evidence.

10. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #135 GIOTTO, Aug 31, 2017
    First one with blue interior. Second one with red interior. And some body details... They had the plan to race them at the Carrera Panamericana Mexico.
    I think that #0402AM has not much in common with the 300 SLR.

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Oops, I meant the claimed crash into a tree. Don't believe it ever happened. Links are worthless, same stories repeated over and over again...

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    But, but, but,.... it's all over the interwebs, forums and even printed media, so it must be true, right ?

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  14. superleggera

superleggera Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Dry Heat, AZ
    #139 superleggera, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    0402AM was crashed by Rossellini. There are pictures of the Pinin Farina coachwork pre-crash and post-crash that I've seen but do not have copies of myself.

Story per Sergio from PB 1998: When he personally delivered the coupe to Rossellini at his Monaco hotel (he drove it the entire way), Roberto came down in his pajamas wearing a bathrobe to look at the Ferrari. He was enthused by it and jumped behind the wheel and took off while Sergio was still standing there -- and he waited and waited and waited. Apparently it was a good long while as he was greatly concerned that Roberto had crashed it again! (Sergio waving his arms when telling this) Finally Roberto reappeared and was ecstatic about the coupe. Only at that point was Sergio actually paid the balance due for the work he did. Sergio was truly concerned that if Roberto crashed it again that he might not get paid... and the money was very important to him to make sure all his workers were paid on time.

15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Unfortunately a number of the Pebble Beach &#8220;Best of Show&#8221; winners have been modified from how they were originally built, and I am not referring to paint and interior colors. Some have suffered body modifications and other details. Historical accuracy (which is my thing) unfortunately takes a back seat to PB politics.

I am not an expert on every car, but I do know the ones that I heavily reserach and make models of. Some discrepancies are very easy to see, and other take more work to find or to see.

I personally spent a week of my time with 0402AM back in 1998. Photographing, drawing and measuring this car. I was commissioned to make a super detailed one-off 1:12th scale scratch built model of it. The commission was to make the car the way it was restored. I would have preferred to make it historically accurate as to how it looked when first built. The black and white photo showing the correct front grill shape of the car when it was built, was widely available in at least two books, which were both published many years before the first restoration. I am not looking to start an argument, or to debate this further, but photo(s) of the correct front were available when the restoration was performed. I also have a background in professional photography....
    The photo was a very good one, no distortion or other issues that some people have tried to use as a partial explanation.

As far as people questioning the incorrect grill; this has been brought up in various conversations with some Ferrari experts. Also....there was an article written in detail about this car within recent years, after its PB win, and the incorrect grill shape was asked about, but not answered by parties with the car, hence it was not mentioned at all in the article. Rather disappointing, and I guess a case of more &#8220;politics.&#8221;

16. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Great post!

17. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Lusso do you have a picture of this Diecast? You intriguing me ;)
    Some drawings also...:)
    I love both!
    Merci bien

18. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Thanks for your interesting post. Any chance to see pictures of your one-off 1:12th scale scratch built model ?? Thanks in advance.

19. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  20. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Thank you very much Giotto.

OK, I remember now this incredible model ! Still a problem with the nose but very impressive work !! And scratch-built !! Crazy !

There are also plenty of other jewels in this site !

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, problem with the nose, but only because as I stated... that is the form I was commissioned to recreate.

22. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Anyway, fantastic model ! Really !!

23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    #148 Lusso123, Aug 31, 2017
    *Not* a "diecast."

Photo album of this model on my web site. Here is a direct link to my section: MB

24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Sorry to be hard-headed, but for me this is just a story til I see the pictures AND can verify that it really is 0402AM that is shown in the post-crash picture.

So many mis-identified photos have been used as documentation over the years, as there are not too many individuals who can reliably identify cars in photos and I am not aware of any educated scolars doing disciplined historical research since the passing of Gerald Roush. Human mind is so easily led to believe things that are not there and it only gets worse when there is money in the equation.

I share the case of 0447GT as an example: when sold by RM auctions a few years ago factory photos of 0435GT were used as reference (s/n on clearly chalked on front tyre!) and the visual differences were explained by making a ridiculous claim that the bodywork was modified at the factory. I cannot understand how mistakes of this grade get published and nobody seems to care. Cantelli ownership - AFAIK - is yet another guess, at least I have never seen or heard of any solid proof on that.

1955 Ferrari 250 GT Europa Boano 'Low Roof' Alloy Coupe | Arizona 2015 | RM Sotheby's

25. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Have also a look to the history of 0534/M given by RM for the "Ferrari - Leggenda e passione" the next week.

They mixed the story with another Monza !! Look especially the pic of the 1956 Gran Premio Supercortemaggiore. This Scaglietti spyder body with high flanks and large side vents didn't yet exist in the sequence of "0534" but who cares ??