Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mikael-F360, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If for some reason Ferrari sales fell below production capability (recession/depression, significantly increased competition, or something else) I could see them at least considering introducing a stick, but otherwise, nope.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

+1. Another data point. Jeep is about to bring to market a Trackhawk SUV with 707 HP and a 0-60 time of 3.5 sec. And already there are exotic cars like Ferrari (e.g. McLaren) that can go around corners fast, too. So competing on pure performance is not really a viable strategy into the future. Porsche, for one, realized long ago that the cars they sell are entertainment first, and transportation a distant second, or even further down the list. Even a Prius will get you where you want to go. People pay the premium for Porsches and Ferraris because the cars are fun. Or at least they're supposed to be. A significant number of people would find a manual at least as fun as a paddle shifted car that could shave 0.2 off a 0-60 time or a second or two off a lap. Last I looked, there is a waiting list for manual GT3s.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Sales have yet to reach production capability. The factory is designed around 10k cars. In 2015 they actulay reduced prod below the prior 8k units.

Past the first year of a new model percieved shortage is artifiicial for brand management purposes.

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ^1 +1 on all of that. i was shopping for a DD and test drove a 991. absolutely horrendous to drive: no feel or personality at all. i got back in my dad's 997 and knew it was a car. bought one that day. take away - faster and more tech is not always better

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This is why the historical metrics used to judge performance are obsolete IMO. Unless one is professionally racing, 0-60, 1:4 mile, top end are completely meaningless.

Honestly i dont even look at performance stats any longer.

All I care about is 'feel'. Am I having fun ? Thats what matters

Peter and 911&F430 like this.
  6. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California

I'm right there with you. Had a McLaren 720 and a 488 for a weekend. Neither of them did anything for me. The McLaren was so quiet it was sad. I could care less about speed these days. It's how I feel. I'd take my old 360 over a 488 any day based on driving characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter likes this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The feel of the aluminum ball on the end of a stick that controls the engine revs to forwad speed relationship.

The feel of the clutch pedal going down and the blip of the throttle before feathering out the clutch.

Peter likes this.
  8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Probably won't happen because of all the wealthy & connected collectors and prospectors that would lose money on their "investment" Ferraris.

Wish it would though.

9. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I owned a 430 gated manual and still own my 1997 993TT and a 1994 Ducati Monster. So, I get nostalgia. But are some folks seriously suggesting that cars like the F12 or 488GTB aren't fun? That's laugh-out-loud funny.

My 2016 Panigale 959 is a hell of a lot more "fun" (and just way better) than my 23 year old Monster or any other bike made over 5 years ago.

I just test drove a 1984 512BBi with a gated manual. It pretty much sucked. Gorgeous lines but hardly more "fun" than a modern Ferrari.

10. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Then put 2037 after the dash on my Tombstone.

Joe

911&F430 likes this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's not fun to drive an F12 or 488. The thing is, there are different sorts of fun. The cars have now gotten so fast that you can't drive them anywhere near their limits on public roads. Getting some side-slip and revving the engine to get the best of it is fun. Getting a car to dance on the edge of its performance envelope is fun. Great fun on a track, but try that with a 488 on a public road and you'll be pulling over 1.0g and hitting well over 130mph down even moderately long straights... and risking jail if not worse. Drive a 488 at 6/10ths to keep one's license, though, and is it as much fun as rowing a 360's stick at the same pace, but closer to its envelope? The more modern car is likely more fun on a track, whilst the older car more fun on public roads. All subjective opinion of course!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter and 911&F430 like this.
  12. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    #37 Cinque, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    I can't see Ferrari producing another manual transmission car. If you look at the current Ferrari engine line up, there are no engines that even remotely make sense with a manual transmission. The 488 engine is turbocharged and 661 horsepower and the 812 engine is almost 800 horsepower. Why go to the trouble of turbocharging the V8 to get 661 hp out of it and then pairing it to a manual, it just makes no sense to have an engine all about these crazy numbers, and a transmission that is all about feel and experience.

That's what makes sense about the 911r is that the idea behind the car and the manual transmission go very well together. The car is all about the driving experience, of course a major part of that is the manual transmission, but the rest of the car also fits the mold. It has a naturally aspirated engine under 500 hp, and is a lightweight, raw car all about the driving experience. It's not a manual transmission, but with a 661 hp turbo engine.

I don't see a limited edition car either as Ferrari isn't going to develope a whole new engine platform to mesh better with a manual transmission. That would be a massive investment, and I can't see them investing in a less powerful engine with the direction they have gone.

The specs of the 430 (which ironically are very similar to those of the 911r) paired very well with a manual transmission. But now with turbocharged V8's the cars are all about max horsepower and numbers, even at the expense of the sound and experience of the Ferrari NA V8 which many believe was one of the best engines period. Just the way the DCT is faster, but at the expense of the sound and experience of the gated manual.

I am a big fan of the gated manual, and am fine with the fact that for this you must chose from the 430 and back. I personally dont think the modern Turbo Ferraris make any sense with a manual, but that only makes the past gated cars that much more special.

paulchua and Peter like this.
  13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Well I hope they do.

As said above Porsche are, and Aston are for their cars including the new Vantage, which was apparently demanded by a number of loyal clients.

People say a manual is dinosaur territory. In terms of out and out performance, I'm sure it is, but in terms of pure engagement and driving pleasure....a manual cant be beat.

Besides, try driving an old auto...feels like a dog, by todays double clutch systems; but then todays autos will feel like dogs in 10 years compared to the technology of the day.

I'm sure the car manufacturers have only gone that way to a) top performance figures and b) broaden the client catchment (I cant see to many people in high heels doing effective heal and toe!!)

911&F430 likes this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I disagree.

There is no reason any engine that works with a 7 speed dct will not work with a 6 speed manual.

911&F430 likes this.
  15. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Air cooled means no radiators, no water pumps, no hoses to replace, and a much simpler engine/car. Also no IMS failures associated with the water cooled engines.

For guys who work on their own cars (and I am one), this is a big plus. If you think that the "air cooled" engines don't add to driving experience-- I'd argue that.

But, yes I'd agree that today's new 911 buyer knows little or nothing of the nuances of the two. And I'd also bet they couldn't care less about a three pedal 911 either.
    It has been said in the PCA that most of todays 911 buyers are not as concerned with driving a 911 as being seen in the drivers seat of a 911.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    My nephews ages are from 15 years old to 22 years old and have no clue how to drive stick. (thank god). Kinda weird if that was a decade or 2 ago.

17. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I'll definitely agree that air cooled is part of the overall "ownership experience".

I agree the "being seen" part is important to probably a very large number of today's exotic buyers - across all marques.

18. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

I have heard stories about thief's going to steel a car but couldn't because it was a stick and they couldn't figure out how to drive it............................

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Imagine a 2800 pound car with 400 NA HP. That's the one that can use a manual.

20. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Now this would not happen in Europe. Most cars that are sold new are still stick shifts. This also keeps the demand here high in the future too.

For example here in Finland, you have to take all your driving lessons and the final test to get a licence with a manual transmission car. It's the law. Our government assumes that everyone can drive an automatic transmission vehicle without practicing it one bit. Paddle shifts are not regognized separately, although they should IMO.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #46 TheMayor, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    One good thing about stick shifts today.... criminals are too stupid to know how to drive them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRDQy7f-g88[/ame]

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    VW definitely do it since they make more cars in 1 week (~190,000) than what Ferrari made in the 70 years of existence. If you just look at their Porsche arm, they produce the same amount in 2 weeks (8,000) that takes Ferrari 1 year.

Just different economies of scale and resources.'

Michael Schätzle admitted that in 10 years it will be very unlikely they will have manuals...that's with their scale!

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    The manual is likely gone the way of the musket.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I highly doubt Ferrari will ever go back to a 3 pedal. Not only from a performance aspect, but more importantly because of the consumer. Not too many people in the new generation have even slightest idea how to drive one. Or even have the interest to learn. Why shift gears when you can text?

Ferrari is not going to spend millions to make a manual system for a very small number of buyers. If people didn't buy the automatics and only bought the manuals, then this thread would not exist. Ferrari makes what people buy..and they don't buy a manual car. They buy automatics..

25. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and at what point does that clientele / market shift cause you to stray from the marque ?