Looking at 91 Diablo | FerrariChat

Looking at 91 Diablo

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by aventari, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aventari

aventari Karting

Dec 9, 2010
    San Diego
    I currently have an NSX, and I'm looking into getting my childhood dream car, a Diablo. Does anyone know anything about this yellow one in FL?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lamborghini/diablo/1970052.html

I realize I've been spoiled with the reliability and Honda-ness of the NSX--and a Diablo will be much different, but I turn all my own wrenches and am looking for a challenge :)

The main thing that worries me is this though:

2. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #2 Scaledetails, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Looks really good for the price. Only obvious question would be why are the tail light surrounds painted yellow, probably from a prior total repaint, otherwise the Larini tail pipes look good, clean interior, etc. If he has records to back-up his ad, I would definitely take a look. As for the AC always being on, you can always pull the fuse from behind the passenger's footrest. Somehow I was able to turn mine off so it may just be a bad switch on this car.
    I also owned an NSX, what a great car, but the Diablo is a unicorn in comparison ;)

3. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    dont confuse the air conditioning being on with the fan always running. the fan always runs, but the compressor should not.

get a PPI, and I would steer away from one that hasnt been driven fairly regularly.

4. aventari

aventari Karting

Dec 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks, that's the stuff I'm looking for as I'm a neophyte here

Good point. I agree about the not driven thing.. I'd hope with the relatively high miles (24k) that it was exercised regularly. ~1000 a year. A carfax would help determine if it sat for long periods.

The ad says 'engine out' 150 miles ago, I'm assuming you replace all belts and seals when the engine is out, adjust valves and the rest. What should I ask about the engine out service?

5. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    Once you go V12 Lamborghini, the dark side will take you to a wonderful place of no return...

Just get it...

90sLambo likes this.
  6. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Ask to see the service receipts. I made the mistake of buying one that sat for a long time with no history a few years back and it cost me $48K in service (Thank you George Evans), that was painful. A regularly driven Diablo with high miles is so much better than a low mile car that wasn't driven, believe me.

7. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1

8. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    #8 roytoy2003, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
  10. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I love the early diablos
    I had three '91,'91,'92
    All three were different
    The 1992 felt so good

Good luck with your search

11. aventari

aventari Karting

Dec 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Will do. Any idea on the specifics of a 'carbon clutch'?

Thanks but those are a bit more than I wanted to spend. They do look great though.

My plan would be to buy it in FL have it checked out thoroughly and drive it home to San Diego. I wouldn't hesitate to do it in an NSX or a Ferrari, is it a terrible idea for a Diablo?

12. 2aftercannonball

2aftercannonball Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2006
    If set up correct and not molested, they are great cars!

13. aventari

aventari Karting

Dec 9, 2010
    San Diego
    How hard are they to work on?

I can build motors and race cars and weld up cages and fabricate stuff. But it's never fun working on something where there's no room for anything and/or it's poorly engineered.

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    True

15. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    IMHO, pre-2000 Lamborghini are Toyotas of supercar world, i.e. they are incredibly reliable.
    Pretty straightforward in service, if you think like a perfectionist (not the most easy way).

Things to look on this one:
    Due to the front hood position, I think it had suffered some damage in the front left frame portion. Be sure to check it if it was okay or not. Left fender (arch-wise) appears to have been repaired (compare with the right one). You can negotiate a better price on this, I think.
    Engine out likely means they had changed only the necessary stuff and changed the clutch. Likely that's all. The clutch slave cylinder position MIGHT BE MISADJUSTED, be sure to check it with the manual, as usually, people don't look into manuals.
    Rear tail light painted - yes. They must be reflective red actually.
    I don't know whether it's me or is the gap between roof and right rear quarter panel big too (it's bolted and glued in place).
    Overall it doesn't look too bad, I think you can trade and take it.
    Also you can expect somewhat low compression check pressure, that's okay for a car that has been sitting around. I'm also sure they haven't adjusted the valves or anything.
    What's good: if you do it right, it's a robust car. Just check everything, nothing goofy about Lambo engineering, it's not a Mercedes or BMW with weird stuff that doesn't work.

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Looks like a nice car. Only thing that stands out is the tires look old (unless Pirelli re-ran that series pzero).

Have it inspected and if it's good, I'd go for it. Steve Maxwell Exotic Car is in SD, knows the Diablo very well and has fair rates.

17. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    How where they different, they should be same, exept if 1992 where made after June (if engine got large cover on top of it like VT models)?

18. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    As stated before,not good build quality,terrible fit/finish,But brimming with charm,raw and cool to drive, also basic mecanics, simple, what you see is what it is,but cramped, you will fabricate /modifie your own tools /wrenches as you go along to access misc items, but all fun,if sitting for a long time,a few items will dry up,lots of oil leaks,my car misfired,traced it to a tiny leak in the distributor seal,left a almost invinsible film of oil on the rotor,also cam cover end plugs are half shaped rubber,big leaker, the list goes on, all this beeing said, its all basic stuff, if you can wrench, Run and buy, its a super cool car,

19. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    The difference was the care they received before me.
    My 1992 felt so tight and strong versus the pos Forbes Diablo.

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    More than likely the AC compressor clutch is locked up and will need to be replaced

21. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #21 Andrew R., Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    The ad for the yellow one says "all original" but there is plenty of non original items that can be seen in the photos.

Get a PPI from a qualified shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it's a good car, maybe not.. but spend the time to understand what you are purchasing. My Diablo was a learning experience for me with exotics... it turned out to be a great car, but that was after I spent money to have maintenance performed on it that was overdue. The seller had given me a short list of what was wrong with the car, but even with that.. it did not come close to covering what money had to be spent on the car.

Good chance that the Cats Exotics cars will be a better buy after you factor in what services may be needed on the yellow car.

22. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Eh? Forbes Diablo was the very early one. What was different?

23. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I think the care it got before me led to its under power

24. That yellow car is in Miami. Might want to wait on the wire transfer...

25. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    I'm pretty sure, Lambo V12s don't like to sit much. The compression test will show comparable low pressures.
    I got 8.5 bar (123 psi) on most cylinders, I'd worry if I haven't had the experience.