road-going 'ALLOY' 365 GTB/4 Daytona - barn find | Page 4 | FerrariChat

road-going 'ALLOY' 365 GTB/4 Daytona - barn find

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Makuono, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I speculate in print (in an upcoming article) that it was a political decision. Figure it this way. Enzo had already had his hand slapped by the FIA in previous decisions (such as not homologating the 250LM when it first came out). Who is in a position to know what the FIA is announcing next? The press. The first customer for the car, Mr. Conti, was the publisher of an important car racing magazine. He would be the first to know if the FIA was about to announce a decision that would affect Ferrari's racing future. Even to get one day's notice in advance would allow Enzo to come up with a counter strategy, so having the body panels of just one Daytona coupe made in alloy so the publisher would have something special to brag about was a small price to pay if he gets the right tip at the right time.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #77 miurasv, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    The above would only be true if EF had built this alloy bodied car specially for Mr Conti, but it clearly wasn't built for him, as the car was distributed for retail to the Bologna dealer Motor S.p.A. di Carla Allegretti, where anyone could have bought it, but where Mr Conti bought it later in the month.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Hammered sold at 1,600,000 Euros plus BP.

4. sperry

sperry Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Just hammered at 1.6 million euros, not including buyer's premium.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #80 miurasv, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    They said at the auction that the seller would be responsible for the Classiche Certification.

6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I thought I heard the seller was not obligated to do it, or restore at Ferrari.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #82 miurasv, Sep 9, 2017
    I may have misheard then but I thought the seller was responsible for the Classiche Certification which I took to mean that if anything was needed for it to be as it left the factory specification wise to pass and get the Red Book then it would be down to the seller. The seller would not be responsible for restoration of the car. I believe the car has been offered beyond the certification as normal for the buyer to do with as they please as a restoration project or to be left as is and to be shown at Concours in the Preservation Class.

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bonkers. 1.6m + buyers fees. Then god knows how much at Classiche...another 300k?. Then import duties.

And all of that in the face of prices slowly but steadily declining on "normal" 365GTB/4's.

To me that's nuts. On the other hand, I always admire people who are willing to lose money on cars out of love for them. :)

9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    That car is money as long as folks continue to value things w/internal combustion engines. And, if/when "normal" Daytona's cease to matter - this one, since there is only one, may still ...

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, not really. Especially if the final bid came from C, M, S or S, all commonly known to attend, bid and at times even win auctions, but I hope to be proven wrong. ;)

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The seller will be responsible for the Classiche Certification and all the costs of it. See video at about 1 hour 50 mins here:

For a car to be Classiche Certified it has to be in full working order so the seller is going to be responsible for a lot of work as many things surely will need replacing or attended to to make this car fully functional.

12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    #87 sixcarbs, Sep 10, 2017
    I actually think this car was one of the best values in the whole auction.

I am dumbfounded when I see people paying $1 million for 488's who's only distinguiishing feature is color and production sequence number.

This is truly a unique car.

(I need to watch that clip again to see what I was said about certification.)

But why even get it certified? Everyone knows what it is. It was sold at a Ferrari auction with that description. Off to Patrick Ottis and Perfect Reflections and you are all set.

13. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Great car and photos.

There seems to be consensus regarding barn-find-photos:
    Dirt and rust are appreciated but deflated tires are off-limits.

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I think that the car was being offered with new Classiche Certification after the sale to the new owner, which means that it will have to be made up to full working order, would make it more attractive to most buyers. It may not have achieved quite such a high price had the Certification not been offered.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    bump. Any knowledge of where this stands in restoration?