Beware of this '92 Mondial on Ebay | FerrariChat

Beware of this '92 Mondial on Ebay

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sixcarbs, Sep 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Let me first say the only info I have on this car is what came up in a quick google search. But if true goes to show how slimy some sellers can be.

Should probably cross-post this in the general discussion area.

Here is the ad in question:
    ===========================================
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Ferrari-Mondial/202051438589?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=46659&meid=6a3d3a98b33c4d5a93f3270c25e945dc&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=202051438589&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A84705890-9737-11e7-a46b-74dbd1809b70%7Cparentrq%3A72d3c91d15e0a860f7ffb760fffc831e%7Ciid%3A1

Zffrk33a1n0091134

Ferrari Mondial T 1992 22k miles very collectible no issues 9.5 out of 10

Ferrari Mondial T 1992 22k miles. Clean car fax. Very collectible. Hard to find in this condition. This car is only goIng up in value. Cold ac, new top, no sticky buttons. No stretching in the dash. No records but we recently had the car checked and a belt service was done recently. Wholesale priced. Call Jason @ 915 929 5133 for more information. Thank you for looking and have a blessed day.
    =============================================

Sounds reasonable, right?

Until you read the last place it was advertised:

==============================================
    VIN: zffrk33a1n0091134

http://www.2040-cars.com/ferrari/Mondial/1992-mondial-t-red-tan-low-miles-super-clean-tubi-recent-service-203460/

We purchased the car from a customer who was having some engine problems. Rather then repair the engine we replaced it with a used engine from a 348 that had half the miles (just over 12,000 miles). Before installation we had all the belts and tensioner bearings replaced with new ones. We have the service records showing the service, and will pass them on to the winning bidder. This car has less then 200 miles on its new belts.

==============================================

Sounds like a 9.5 out of 10 to me.

Caveat Emptor.

(I emailed the Ebay seller and alerted him to this missing information in his ad. Let's see if he amends it.)

paulchua likes this.
  2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I wonder what they did with the old motor.

3. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Seems like a reasonable price, given the history. I do agree in full disclosure however...I am generally a skeptic of a salesmen offering me their blessings.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    So, what is your beef?
    Engine was replaced, it is now running well, and for sale.

5. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    It should be disclosed in the ad. That's a big deal.

yelcab likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You are assuming that the seller knows about it. I can tell you that if I died, my wife will sell all my cars as is and she would not know one end of the car from the other.

The buyer of this vehicle should know that they are buying a used car, ignore the descriptions, check out its conditions and go from there. Even records are of limited values.

7. steve_400i

steve_400i Rookie

Aug 15, 2017
    Nice looking car. With a bit of inspection somebody could get a good car. Motors get replaced. Properly done this is a non-issue.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for sharing!! Always good to have full disclosure. Agreed it could be a great deal, just ultimately depends on how it's condition is now.

9. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Yes, properly done, but it is something major that should be noted.

But it is quite unusual at 23,000 miles. I asked about the reliability of these motors back in July.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/life-expectancy-of-a-348-mondial-t-engine.556078/

Most people said they were good for over 100,000 miles and more. Described as pretty bulletproof. What made the original motor not worth repairing at 23,000 miles? Must be quite a story or have been a motor with multiple defects.

May be a great buy, may be something to negotiate over. Just alerting F-Chat brothers and sisters here. We need to look out for each other. If I see a car advertised that I know has been in an accident or is being misrepresented I will post about it. I hope others do the same.

tomberlin likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I remember seeing this car a while back. My guess is the person didn't do the "3 years" or 30K/3 Year miles recommended service interval. Blew the motor with timing belt snap (or something equally catastrophic that created an instant coffee table out of the Tipo 119)

11. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Those wheels. That's my beef.

IMHO

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    One needs to be careful basing information only found through google. I too have been slightly interested in this car for a while. I too googled the vin and came up with the same add about the (car with the ) engine swap. The google vin search also popped up several other adds and info completely innocent. Bottom line is I'm not convinced the two cars are the same, different top colors, radio and a couple other things I don't recall at the moment. The car has been for sale close to 6 months which also says something.

That being said, I ran across a guy who actually saw the car, had it inspected on some level and he did find some legitimate issues that the seller does not mention in the ebay add. I don't recall him noting evidence of an engine swap though. At the end of the day, don't just judge this car by some "google" info. More often than not there is more to the story. Based on the info I received from a first hand person/experience was that this car does need very close inspection nonetheless!

13. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    You get what you pay for. You want a deal? Here it is...

14. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    The current Ebay ad says "New top."

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I reviewed the notes from the first hand person who saw/inspected teh car. Some highlights were.

More wear on interior than pics show
    no cover for the top
    mirrors don't work
    Top has been replaced and not original color
    cats deleted
    no records/tools
    stereo (or something) constantly drains the battery so whenever he tried to view/drive the car he could not.
    believes to be some paint work around windshield area or more

so i will amend my previous post in that the car with the black top and engine swap could possibly be the same car. But either way this car needs a close look.

FWIW this dealer also had/sold that black 355 spyder which in its ownership history included the Indiana doctor who killed those patients/people and they "conveniently" didn't know anything about that either.

People and sellers need to realize the ferrari world/community is actually pretty small. If a car has skeletons in its closet they usually come out on way or another.

16. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Sounds like the typical deferred (Read never or until it just stops) maintenance and neglect these cars suffer from when owned by many people outside of F-Chat. Especially since Mondials were so inexpensive for some time. "Hey, own a Ferrari for less than a Lexus." But they are not prepared to properly service them, so they just don't. Losing the tools and the top cover I will never understand. How hard is it to keep stuff like that with the car?

Gotta love the last line in the Ebay ad about "a blessed day" between this information and that of the last 355 he sold.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you for this interesting info! And regarding that F355 - talk about "Bad Mojo"

This car sounds like a very questionable example that a buyer needs to go in with eyes wide open!

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Not a complete defense, but dealers buy these at auction and often the misc stuff gets lost int he cracks, not much time/motivation to run a vin or history..etc The car is getting sold at wholesale, they buy mark it up and move on, thats their business...its just $ to them