Countach Prices dropping? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Countach Prices dropping?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by frached, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    , and I find the Countach easy to drive, always did, and still do.[/QUOTE]

Hi Joe,

"more like a Ford Granada"?

Probably what the man meant when he compared it to the more awkward Miura which he felt "wild"

Regards
    L-E

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nothing like a Ford Granada, but still, the Countach is easy for me, Miura too.

Ellagirl likes this.
  3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    During 2004, I passed on a restored maroon 250PF Coupe, for $75K. I picked the BBi.

BoXer is a fun car. Much easier to drive around town. It has nice power. It begs for wide tires and a seat with bolsters. You will slide off of the seat.

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This has been discussed before, but the Countach is an easy and enjoyable car to drive, once you get over the intimidation of driving a Countach and have had a couple of seat times behind the car. The person that drives someone else's Countach once will likely not have a great experience for a number of reasons.

ijvpet likes this.
  5. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Good post , been busy dodging the Hurricane, long story short,all good, moved a 2011 911 speedster to safe ground,after moving my Countach to a different location, only to find out my old countach wich i drove one hr prior, has a far nicer suspension feeling, anyway,my friend got an Enzo recentley,his verdict, feels old and not up to par compared to his new stuff,wich is ,i guess beeing in the "new" category, and compared to La Ferrari and its likes hovewer, the Countach is an old car ,with all its charm and charisma, wich is why it is absolutely fantastic, a feeling and life is good second to none.

6. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    Glad to hear the cars (and you) are safe. What CT did you have before?

7. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Not to confuse , my friends comment on the Enzo was compared to newer Ferraris.beeing it falls in between,i have never driven one, but will shortley. My comment on the Countach was simply how amazing it is, and also felt better i l o a b w comp to the 911 speedster,going down a normal road, i parked the Countach, and smiled, happens every time.

S_AGATA likes this.
  8. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Ha ha Granada has a different meaning in Europe, all good ,still Countach far better ,smiley face, europe Granadas are what we had growing up, you guys in the US had Ls6 chevelles and Stingrays , we had the od crap euro Fords and **** British leylands

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Exactly.

Comparing 2 cars of different makes, 24 years apart, six cylinders versus 12, rear-engined versus mid-engined, is sort of an Apples to Oranges comparo, no? I mean, aren't they expected to be as different as chalk & cheese with the later 911 being more stiffly-sprung?

Well, I didn't grow up in the US, but I did experience Grandas growing up, and I believe they have the same inference universally. Leif Nilsson's suggestion (as originally posted by Lel in the Miura thread at the end of May) that "the Countach is like driving a Ford Granada, but the Miura you know... " is likely the most misguided automotive analogy ever uttered, basically it's nonsense. The notion that the Countach's drive can in any meaningful way be compared to the Granada is redundant, and if that was an attempt at humor, it missed, badly. In fact, having owned as many Miura's & Countachs as I have, I will venture to share an unbiased & candid report that the Countach handles better, is better braked, is faster, and therefore more fun & exciting to drive than the Miura, as might be expected in the later-generation car. The Countach has a much more solid feel and requires firm control inputs, so, its also more of a driver's car. No bias whatsoever, I owned some spectacular Miura SVs and remember them fondly, but, as beautiful as it is, a Miura is not a Countach, and neither can remotely be compared to a Ford Granada.

10. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    This isn't really funny. I own a 3.0 Liter Ford Granada and this car is anything but crap. It's a very very nice 70's sedan, in my case a very rare special edition version, that drives lovely because it is set up correctly.
    FYI I also own a Countach. No FI car :) Think "earlier"...

11. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    I only can assume that LEL must have had in mind the same as you are saying. Otherwise this comparison is nonsense, indeed. A Ford Granada was a good car in its time with not many flaws, and in my opinion a Countach is very very good car in its own way, too. I like Miuras, but I'd prefer an early Countach anytime, and probably I'd say the same about a DD QV, too.

12. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    I thought you were clever enough to understand that this Leif Nilsson, who used to deal with Ferraris, Porsche RS, Lola T70 and a lot of Lamborghinis knew the difference between a Lamborghini Countach and a much more simply family car. But he probably felt so comfortable with driving the Countach, making no fuss, that it was as easy as driving the Ford Granada. And I, who was addicted to the looks and technical idea of the Miura was deeply impressed by the passionated look in Leif's face when he explained his experience of what he thought was the wild thing, the Miura.

Doesn't we all speak nonsense now and then?

13. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    "the Countach handles better, is better braked, is faster, and therefore more fun & exciting to drive than the Miura, as might be expected in the later-generation car"

Does this also means that you think the Aventador, Huracan or perhaps a Mercedes GT or Ferraris F12 is more fun & exciting than your Countach QV?

14. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Joe, is that hard to find a euro Granada in California? That should be a blast to compare, especially, if you get a pic of the three, haha.

I blame newer cars for being focused on lane-changing more than actual long turn feel or overall predictability. 911s might be fast, but they're not predictable, you don't feel the edge, since it's all computer controlled.

15. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    No disrespect to your Granada intended, i grew up with far worse, but easy to put them all in one category, i do think as we grow older,we want some of the childhood ordinary cars one more time, but have to add,once you buy one, i am pretty shore most of them are,perhaps not crap,but not what you remember as a kid, i do hovewer remember the 3,0 Granada to be the top of the line in its segment,was offered a green one, at some point. That beeing said,my father had an Oldsmobile at some point,and i will say this,it blew avay anything else in my neighborhood, also my friends father bought a new El camino ss 454 mid 70s, it was to say the least an absolute power house in the euro car enviroment,it blew my mind, it would pull our boat at the ramp at idle,while the euro stuff would burn clutches and bearly get up the ramp, long story short i m h o.the Americans had The upper end back then.

16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Just a random observation in the heat of things, i do understand there would be a difference, point is,the Countach is quite comfy once you get used to it, that beeing said,i would expect a new car with todays computer/air suspension and all its possibilities to be more comfy on cruise,yet hard core when needed.

17. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Hi Joe,

"more like a Ford Granada"?

Probably what the man meant when he compared it to the more awkward Miura which he felt "wild"

Regards
    L-E[/QUOTE]
    In terms of wild, i once drive a a Canadian customers 1200 hp Gallardo,tuned by Underground performance, absolutely out of control,the word explosive got a whole new meaning.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you for a sensible contrarian view Christian, much-appreciated, the digs at British cars are unnecessary & irrelevant, as are the comparisons with Miuras or Countachs.

I can see that Leif was trying to illustrate (rather poorly) that the Countach is tame compared to the Miura, but that is simply not true. Having owned 5 different Miuras and twice as many Countachs as a good basis for experienced comparison, I am adamant that the elegant Miura is a more delicate drive, you can pilot the car using that thin-rimmed steering wheel with just the tips of your fingers, the Countach you must grab that steering wheel tightly and hang on with a higher handling and performance envelope, the notion that the Miura is a wilder car car is just nonsense. The wilder of the two cars is the Countach, no question, and not just in looks.

Leif certainly did that day.

Yes, when you can go 217 mph, its definitely even more "fun & exciting" than the Countach.

The Countach is more of a hardcore, wild, old-school, no-holds-barred, connected, driving experience, when you go down the road in a Countach with sport exhaust popping, you think to yourself, this is sheer anarchy, what planet am I on?

19. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    For the special LP400 versions (Walter Wolf etc.), and all cars after 1977 (Countach S), I agree. Not sure, however, if I would say that a LP400 is a wilder car than a Miura.

My opinion: maybe two or three times, until you know "how it is". But this can be also seen in a different way. Some prefer a more delicate drive (your words), others prefer sheer power.

20. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    No offence taken. You are correct: my Granada is not what I remember as a kid. Simple reason: my parents used to buy the 2.3 liter version (several of them) but I've always wanted a 3.0 liter since I was 10 years old. And a Countach. I have both, and therefore I couldn't be less interested in dropping or rising Countach prices, and now we are back on topic :)

21. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    "Leif certainly did that day". (talk nonsense)

Saying that a human being talking about his feelings, love and passion is nonsense, that's really nonsense!

But let us leave this now and praise that we are lucky enough to be able to choose if we want to drive either Countach or Miura.

By the way, we had a really wild thing here in Sweden thirty years ago. Like the Granada a german car, an Opel Commodore with a Jarama V12 under the hood.

L-E

22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Undoubtedly true!

23. True Granada story. When I was around 17 , a wealthy lady named Margie S asked me to drive her around in her Granada to different places. She couldn't drive its anymore due to vision. It was new & had maybe had about 7500 miles on it by then. I don't remember the year of it, but it was a series 2 with the US bumpers, straight six, and of course it was a down draft . I can't remember if it was a 1 barrel or 2. Anyways I dropped her off and decided to put that thing thru it's paces. Manually shifting it, starting in 1, I ran it up. With no tach I had to wait until the valves rattled & then bam, slide it into second. Moving briskly along I went into third, or drive. ****. I went straight past neutral into reverse. It made a noise similar to a baseball card rattling on a bicycle wheel. Only faster & louder. I quickly pulled it back into "D" and that was the end of my sprinting drives in a Granada. No damage done, but I knew better.

24. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    Is this thread about Contact values or Ford Granada values,,,,,,,talk about getting off topic !

S_AGATA likes this.
  25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No, I'm saying that the analogy of the Countach driving like a Granada is nonsense, utter nonsense, no matter if it was made by Joe, Simon or Leif, this has nothing to do with a persons feelings, love or passion, let's not spin it awry, and by the way, we can agree to disagree and still be friends, that's cool too.

I laughed so hard I am in tears, well-written, that made my day, awesome story!

Agreed, you can thank Lel for bringing back the Granada comparo nonsense all the way from the Miura thread from when it was debated last May, so, back on topic, IMO values dropped for a while and have settled, so my thoughts are, if you are a prospective buyer and think they are at a low, it may be a good time to buy now or soon, if you are an owner who is thinking of selling now may not be the time, and if you are an owner who is not a seller, then none of this really matters!