Singapore GP 2017 pre race thread | FerrariChat

Singapore GP 2017 pre race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Sep 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    SEPTEMBER 11, 2017

Ferrari favourite for Singapore says Lauda

Niki Lauda has named Ferrari as the favourite to win this weekend's Singapore grand prix.

That is despite the fact Lewis Hamilton took over the championship lead at Monza last weekend, after humiliating a struggling Ferrari at its home circuit.

Now, a thrilling title battle between Mercedes' Hamilton and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel is in the offing, with Lauda declaring: "My heart is with Ferrari but my head is with Mercedes."

The F1 legend, who is among the most famous former Ferrari drivers, is now the chairman and co-owner of the Mercedes team.

As for his split allegiances, Lauda told Corriere dello Sport newspaper: "It's ok for me.

"We won at Monza and that was a shame for Ferrari and their important event.

"But in Singapore maybe Vettel will change things again," the great Austrian said.

"Many times Ferrari has been faster than Mercedes. At Spa Vettel was very close. Ok, at Monza perhaps a little less, but in my opinion this was due to a mistake in the Ferrari setup.

"Ferrari will be the favourite in Singapore," Lauda declared, "but on the other hand it is difficult to say who will win. I hope it is Hamilton."

But if it is Vettel on top, Lauda admits that his 'heart' still beats for the Maranello team.

"Vettel is a number 1 driver," he said. "His heart is for Ferrari and if the team is competitive, you can't discount him."

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes I expect the pendulum to swing back to favour Ferrari and Vettel on this track.

4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

The Spanish daily 'Marca' is predicting an announcement as early as Wednesday / Thursday.

"The Japanese company has now accepted it is leaving McLaren to supply Toro Rosso from 2018," said the Spanish daily Marca.

Many of the actual contracts will apparently be signed in the coming hours and days, ahead of the Singapore grand prix this weekend.

Honda's McLaren split and deal with Toro Rosso, for instance, "will be made public on Wednesday or Thursday", the same sports newspaper added.

Marca is following the story closely, as both of F1's Spanish drivers are centrally involved."

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Vettel has always been mighty around here so my money is on him. We best hope Mercedes hasn't got a ''sudden cure'' for their problems here though! We need a Ferrari 1-2 here with at least 1 red Bull in between them and the mercs.

6. DF1

This makes sense. To have this data out just before the race...

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    As always, if there is ****, Alonso will be right in the center of it!!

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Going to be an exercise in damage control for MB and a chance at a 1-2 win for Ferrari. Expecting Max and the midst of the battle as well. Until lap 5 when his turbo will burst.

9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    heads-up gents......

The FIA notes that the track has been resurfaced around Turns 1 and 2, "plus a 100m section after Turn 5."

Also resurfaced are "some areas between Turns 12 and 13 and a section around Turns 15, 16 and 17." And the pitlane is 27.5cms wider!

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Low speed mechanical traction has upset the W08 apple cart, and especially Lewis as his setup compared to Bottas just doesn't work as well mechanically. With how Singapore is arranged, I can see Lewis finishing relatively poorly with Bottas finishing in front but still behind a couple Ferrari's and a hell-snapping Red Bull in the mix, in front or behind

DF1 likes this.
  11. DF1

Very excited to see both Ricci and Max do well here. Mix our season up a bit with this race!!

Ferraripilot likes this.
  12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Should be a good one for Macca too if Vandoorne doesn't get any penalties from his broken MGU-K shaft from Monza.

13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I've got Dan pencilled n for this one :)

DF1 likes this.
  14. DF1

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  16. DF1

Steve best analysis Ive seen yet. SKY does do good work. Wish you the best amigo!!

kraftwerk likes this.
  17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Merc will swap their drivers though if they're right behind each other.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    absolutely agree Bas

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Indeed

Malaysia last year is heavy on my mind.

I love the close WDC fight as long as it is a fight. It'd be a shame if one mechanical DNF determines the outcome again.

20. DF1

+1

21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I have this bad feeling that despite all the Ferrari hype Mercedes or Red Bull will show up here and stick it on the pole

375+ likes this.
  22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I know. Was a shame to have that engine let go in Hungary 08 that cost Massa the WDC. :)

Bas likes this.