Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 284 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    We all agree on its brilliant design, poss judged from different platforms, from mine,its a very pure and simple,wich is why the end result is brilliant and stunning,

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    ijvpet and cnpapa24 like this.
  4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The rear view of the Downdraft's power dome has become as iconic a Countach feature as that of the Periscopa's roof, an instantly recognizable feature that defines the car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Still looking for the chassis number of this Massa-Carrara (MS) Italy-registered Downdraft (almost all the the 200 Homologation cars are identified), I think this car was originally delivered to the ME, then went to Holland, just a guess.

S_AGATA likes this.
  11. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No sale.

12. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    #7087 blown daytona, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2017

As equally iconic, is Lamborghini's departure from the old to the more modern fuel injected QV model :) Looks much more masculine IMO

13. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree!

14. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed, the USA-spec Fuelie Countach does look more masculine when you modify then rear end to resemble a European-spec Downdraft.

I was comparing the Downdraft's iconic feature with that of the Periscopa, but since you invite the comparison with a Fuelie, allow me to share my thoughts on the subject. My view is that the Downdraft's engine cover is a more aesthetically pleasing & successful design than that of the Fuelie for a number of reasons. Firstly, it's shape is dominated by a central power-dome that speaks to purposeful intent as successfully the power-dome on the hood of a 250 GTO. Secondly, it's design is reflective of the trapezoidal shapes that comprise the Countach's design so it is beautifully-integrated with the car's overall design. Thirdly, the Downdraft's prominent & centrally-mounted power-dome speaks to power, appropriately so, as it contains the engine of the most powerful factory Countach variant. The Fuelie's hood on the other hand, looks more like the some of the other necessitated compromises bestowed upon DOT-mandated USA-spec cars, appearing designed with heating as the priority, and the three longitudinal slabs that dominate it's surface appear to give it a cluttered and undefined look.

As regards instantly recognizable iconic features of all Countach variants (my earlier point), I'd say the Downdraft's engine cover is at this point second only to the Periscopa's roof. That said, it's worth noting that the Downdraft's most prominent iconic feature serves a practical purpose, that of housing those glorious Weber carbs & trumpets.

Just for fun, I'd rank my top 3 Countach engine hoods in terms of styling as:
    - Downdraft (Power Dome)
    - LP400S > LP500S (Classic)
    - LP400 (Original)

FWIW, we had GLA12997's engine cover in pieces during the car's restoration, and I came to the conclusion that the Downdraft's hood is a thing of utter wonder & beauty, truly a Lamborghini design triumph, sometimes I just stand and stare at it. Looking at the image below, I should point out that masculinity is not just what shows on the outside, but what is contained within.

Before I forget, as regards your comment "departure from old to modern", if old also means raw sound that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end, more prodigious power and better performance, please give me old Weber 44 DCNF carburetors any day!

BTW, some of this discussion will be in yet another fun magazine article upcoming, please stay tuned.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I have a topside image of my Downdraft which highlights the hood's design nicely, but I can't find it tonight, perhaps tomorrow, so meanwhile here is a similar backside shot of the car's business end, as the Mimran Downdraft is a 1986-build car, it features the Series 1 Downdraft hood with vented sides, unlike Harry's 1987-build car.

BTW, the claim that rearward visibility in the Downdraft is worse than that of a Fuelie is Bollocks.

S_AGATA likes this.
  18. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    http://www.zeperfs.com/duel972-903.htm

interesting comparison btw a countach quattrovalvole carburatori and a lamborghini diablo
    while at the 400 meters the cars are still very close, the diablo is 2 seconds quicker at the 1000 meters from still

19. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A good Diablo is MUCH faster than any Countach.. They are only close off the line, using your chart as an indicator, the Diablo hits 100kmh only 4/10s of a second quicker, yet it hits 220kmh over 5 seconds faster.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    With the Downdraft at 455 Bhp/500 Nm and the Diablo at 492 Bhp/580 Nm one would expect exactly what the data in this test indicates.

The next-generation Diablo ought to be faster!

That said, is this a real test, or a hypothetical scenario based on extrapolation of numbers?

FWIW, perhaps not a relevant comparison, but my personal experience is that the Mimran Downdraft GLA12997 post-restoration feels at least as quick as my USA-spec Diablo SE30 027/150 ever was.

What I'd really like to do is make the relevant Ferrari vs Lamborghini comparison and test the Downdraft against its nemesis the 288 GTO, thats what the next magazine article will be about once the GTO is ready.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  25. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I was wondering the same thing reg the actual base of these test results. Love the ide of a real world dd versus gto comparo, i will say this,i drove the gto last year,and my own Countach as a comparo,to me, my Countach felt torquier an quicker, i will also say this,my 91 Diablo did not feel much quicker than my Countach,but my 01 Diablo was a waay quicker.