308 front right clunk? | FerrariChat

308 front right clunk?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Colorado308, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Colorado308

Colorado308 Rookie

Sep 22, 2014
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brian D
    I have a "clunk" coming from the right front whenever a bump is hit at speed, say over 20 mph. It only comes from the front right and not the front left. Lifted the front end and grabbing the right front wheel at 12 & 6 found a very small amount of play and then 9 & 3 found more play. Hoping it was just bearings I did a full remove and replace of everything (races and bearings) and then reassembled. This eliminated play along the vertical axis (12 & 6) but not along the horizontal axis (3 & 6).

On further inspection I can now see play in the tie rod end. This will be replaced next. My question is: are there other items which potentially could be causing this play? I will inspect ball joints while in there but anything other than that? The car has 61K on it and the left front is solid as a rock. would like to hear if anyone else has similar experience in fixing this a similar issue. As always, thanks in advance for reading and any <ahem> constructive suggestions...

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Any associated suspension part. Sway bar, sway bar link,etc

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    If it's the right hand side, that is the side with the bushing in the steering rack. Could be the bushing has disintegrated

4. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Since you will be doing the tie rod and ball joint, while you're in there might as well do all the bushings(control arms and shock). Do both sides, since you will need to do a full suspension alignment afterwards. Inspect the steering rack bushing as mentioned and replace if needed. You don't want to take it apart again just for that. On the outside chance it could be the shock needing rebuilding.

5. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    First thing first, are your wheel nuts properly torqued? I assume you'd know if the wheel was loose on the hub, as opposed to the hub getting free play, but worth an easy check.

I'd try to pin down the problematic issue first before taking more things apart for restoration, like a full control arm bushing job; just adds more variables to confuse the problem point. That said, ball joints can start to go, drop link connections and bushings, remove and inspect your steering rack, also the rack mount bushings, and also see if you've lost any control arm shims through the frame slots below the control arm attachments.

6. Colorado308

Colorado308 Rookie

Sep 22, 2014
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brian D
    Dflett- when you say "bushing in the steering rack" do you mean the rack support bushing (part #103287) or some other bushing?

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    No, I mean the plastic bushing inside the steering rack casing that supports and centers the end of the rack on that side. It's under engineered and often breaks leading to play in the right hand side tie rod connection. The solution is to rebuild the rack with either a brass or delrin replacement bushing.

If you disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle, you'll feel the tie rod loose inside the rack if the bushing has deteriorated.

Regards
    David

8. Colorado308

Colorado308 Rookie

Sep 22, 2014
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brian D
    Got it - thanks. Appreciate the clarification.