Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - USA West > Hawaii

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 AM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Robsky
Cars & Coffee on O'ahu???

Is there such an event on the island of O'ahu? I know there are a lot of exotic cars out there. I wish the owners would take them out and show them off. I'm not talking about NSX's, Supra's, and Skylines, RX-7's, and Evo's. I'm taking about an Enzo, MC12, Aventador, DBS, Superleggeras, Carrera GT, SLS, and more. They are out there hiding in garages. Man take them out for all to appreciate.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Steve
My Garage
I've wondered the same thing myself. Now I'm only on Oahu 2-3 times a year but always trying to find something car related to do when there. When me and my wife relocate back to Oahu in a few years to take care of her parents I plan on bringing my F355 with me. I love the E@RTC we have here in the Seattle area and wish there was something like that on the island. I have searched and not come up with anything. I image they hide out in the garages and meet privately on occasion.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

I really believed that two things that keep these supercar owners from driving their cars out in the open for everyone who cannot afford them to appreciate:

1) Cops

2) Pot Holes

I cannot blame them. Being harrass by cops isn't fun at all even though you're doing the speed limit. Costly repair on those wheels, alignments, and shocks.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

The only place on the Big Island where you can attain any speed over 35MPH is Saddle Rd. and the Bulls are there waiting for you. I once saw two Diablo's in formation near Waikoloa doing about 30MPH!!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
The only place on the Big Island where you can attain any speed over 35MPH is Saddle Rd. and the Bulls are there waiting for you. I once saw two Diablo's in formation near Waikoloa doing about 30MPH!!
Wow, really? I would have thought that the big island would have the most open road for cruising but if there are no real freeways I guess that wouldn't be the case.

On Oahu you just have a few specific stretches to get up to 60 mph on H3, likelike, pali and maybe throught the middle of the island or maybe west of pearl at specific times of day. Kinda depressing to think about.

There are some potholes in the metro area that would swallow a mini and destroy my 355 if I hit them.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Cars and Coffee, if it's still being held = 2nd Sunday of the month 8-10am parking lot top deck of Ala Moana mall by Sears.

Some exotics come to this gathering, it's hit or miss, usually not many tho'. Most of the owners who like to drive their cars take them out solo or on group spirited runs with the other exotics. To see them in the wild I guess you have to be connected to know when, or in the right place at the right time. Ones that really drive them know where the "good and bad stretches" of road are, and most know the HPD's finest....it's a relatively small town. It's urban legend that they get "hassled" more than other makes or models.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigio 512TR View Post
Cars and Coffee, if it's still being held = 2nd Sunday of the month 8-10am parking lot top deck of Ala Moana mall by Sears.

Some exotics come to this gathering, it's hit or miss, usually not many tho'. Most of the owners who like to drive their cars take them out solo or on group spirited runs with the other exotics. To see them in the wild I guess you have to be connected to know when, or in the right place at the right time. Ones that really drive them know where the "good and bad stretches" of road are, and most know the HPD's finest....it's a relatively small town. It's urban legend that they get "hassled" more than other makes or models.
Thanks for the info. I assume the C&C at Ala Moana is a very mixed crowd of just general car enthusiests, is that correct?

I understand why the exotic owners stay on the down low most of the time. There have been problems in the past in Seattle with owners being followed home unenvited by random people after meets wanting to hang out or what not.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigio 512TR View Post

During the holidays 2009 or 2010 I think I was at the right place at the right time. Yup Ala Moana top deck by Sears. There were cars alright many of them, but the only exotic I have seen was a Porsche 911 Targa in deep blue color. Everything else was 350Z, G35's, Civics, Volkswagen Golfs, a rusty RX7, M3's, and some Camaros and Ford GT's. Cars you see everyday on the road and street park by 7-11 parking lot buying Big Gulp not really interested.

I guess I have to be rich to join em.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark Passarelli
Quote:
Try the 11 between Hilo and Captain Cook. South end of the Big Island. You can pretty much do 75MPH+ all day or short bursts of unmentionable speeds when no one is looking..
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

In Hawaii if you are buying a supercar for the speed you are at a loss. Now if you are buying just to put it on display at your garage for the neighbors to look at then you are a winner. Not that there is nothing wrong with that.

You cannot speed in Hawaii. Cops are like vending machines. They are at every corner hiding and gunning. They gotta feed themselves some donuts.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin
There is a Ferrari Club and they do get together for shows on Oahu. I missed the car show they were at a while back, was at Windward Mall, if memory serves it was a rainy day so maybe they weren't all there. Not sure how you would "plug into" the events. I heard about the car show on the radio but heard about the F Car club's planned attendance from a friend.

Last month there was a car show at McKenna Ford in Kailua and driving by it looked like a nice grouping of Cobras and other exotics were on display. I was with my family and we were going someplace so I couldn't stop and gawk a little. Thought I saw some gull wing doors sticking up among the crowd... Bummers.

Driving time is precious but any regular gatherings are probably done at a private residence.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass View Post
Try the 11 between Hilo and Captain Cook. South end of the Big Island. You can pretty much do 75MPH+ all day or short bursts of unmentionable speeds when no one is looking..
And you know this how???????? Last time I was on that stretch it was so cold out I had to put on a coat...thought I was back in Montana. I stopped by your place a couple days later. Nice shop.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Gil
Quote:
I drove faster in a rented Impala last month...of course the brakes were on fire after coming down from Mauna Kea.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Rumor has it, the exotics and some of their friends have a drive tomorrow out to the Laie side.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Ken
Looks like I can't post pictures. I can post links, though.... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Wow Ken! What an awesome day! I would have liked to have been sitting in the tunnel when they all came through!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Those weren't all taken the same day. Those were just a few from pictures I've taken over the years.

....but yeah, driving through the H3 tunnels with high-strung Italian screamers at full song is pretty incredible.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Great shots! Is that your garage?

Which tunnel has the best acoustics?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Man, I WISH that was my garage. Sadly no, it's not.

I would say the best tunnel is H3 Halawa-bound, where you're going uphill the whole way. The engines sound better with a bit of load on them. If you open it up in the Kaneohe-bound side, you pick up speed way too quickly.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
Man, I WISH that was my garage. Sadly no, it's not.

I would say the best tunnel is H3 Halawa-bound, where you're going uphill the whole way. The engines sound better with a bit of load on them. If you open it up in the Kaneohe-bound side, you pick up speed way too quickly.
Great stuff! I always figured that if I got a nice F car I would spend a day figuring out which tunnels sound the best!