Housefire | FerrariChat

Housefire

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Jul 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I heard a siren. This is common as the street out front is the route to three hospitals.Then there were several more sirens and the distinctive horns that the fire trucks use. In addition, the sirens did not seem to be fading into the distance. I looked outside and there was a large column of very thick smoke rising about a half a block away. The streets were closed down and it created a monster of a traffic mess.

It was hard to see the source of the fire from where I was. The Auntie Pasto's restaurant is there as well as an old abandoned house. Next to the house is a small vacant lot where an independent shop had some Porsche cars stored.

My guess was that it was the house that was burning.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #2 sowest, Jul 30, 2013
    The next morning, I walked down the street to take a look. My guess was correct.

This seems to happen with some frequency. A house is abandoned. The homeless start using the structure and, pretty soon, a fire is started. The fire department did a great job. There was no visible damage to the restaurant or to the Porsche cars.

I have always wondered. What circumstances lead to this kind of outcome? Hawaii being Hawaii, any housing or land can be a valuable asset. I have passed this house many times and have had the thought of someone moving in and doing a live in restoration.

I guess there be must all kinds of concerns over codes, ability to get financing, taxes, etc. that make it a "no win". It does seem a shame that this small house with a lot of character meets such an end.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    People pass on without Will, the title to stuff like that can end up with the County for back taxes....

I agree it's sad.

I could have moved in!!!
    Brought my long boards......

4. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow indeed, even if it is a postage stamp size lot it is must be worth at least $500k that close in town. Makes me wonder who owns it as well.

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The property is owned by a trust and property taxes were current. It is just strange for the property to be left empty like that, but it happens. My sister was staying in my house and she left it a mess and moved to one of my apts. I never knew whey until I went over and looked at the place. She used the house as storage, but trashed the place. It sat like that for 3 years until I went to look at it. After that, i had the place cleaned out and renovated. The property sold in 1 day at over asking.

The house that burned down was built around the same time as mine and is a bit bigger. However, it is zoned commercial so they pay a much higher property tax rate. I had another property like that and it was my mother's childhood home. It was later rezoned commercial and I was paying $8k a year for a 1000 sq ft, 100 year old house. I'm sure with the fire, the house will be demolished and maybe put up for sale. It is a small lot and not much can be built there without variances, but it is still a viable property. The valuation for that place was mostly land and I think it was somewhere around $800k.

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    free structure courtesy of insurance? someone is happy.

7. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    What was the address? Looks like my old place sort of

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It was 1095 S. Beretania.

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #9 sowest, Sep 29, 2013
  10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

That property had been listed as sold on 7/19/2913 according to realtytrack.com

Strange timing for the fire!

11. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I saw that on Friday afternoon. They had a crew cutting down that tall mango tree. Traffic was a bit*h in the area with road work, the tree removal and a busted gas line.

12. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave

I should say so!! NINE HUNDRED YEARS IN THE FUTURE! :eek: Wow....

Jedi

13. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Often things seem like that, but just as often it turns out that after the house had sat for so long with wiring sitting there and deteriorating, when the power is turned on, POOF> Or folks leave tools going without thinking about it. Of course the new owner might also have thought it would be nicer for the insurance company to pay for the demo, then for his bank account.