Looking for ideas from locals | FerrariChat

Looking for ideas from locals

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by blue986, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blue986

blue986 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Girlfriend and I are going to HI next week. Home base will be the Hilton Grand Hawaiian Village in Waikiki. Looking for info on things to do while we're there that outside the norm for your average tourist. Already have some ideas as my brother and his family are stationed there (Air Force), but we won't be spending all of our time with them - actually much of it during the day will be on our own. Looking for ideas from those of you that are living "on the economy".

Thanks,
    Matt

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Make sure you get a car and you can see the island. Of course all the tourist spots are pretty cool. I'd spend a day up at north shore and check out the sea turtles, they're huge. There are also several amazing places to dine.

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    There are lots of hiking trails for you try. One that is very steep, but not much of a hike is the Koko Head Crater trail. It goes straight up a mountain using old funicular tracks. The Diamond Head Crater trail is another one. Both will give you incredible views once you are up top. I would stick to these two as they are both busy trails and are relatively dry. Other hiking spots here might be a little damp as we've been having a lot of rain recently.

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There are a lot of dedicated threads to activities here in this section. I am not sure what "living on the economy" means though. I know it is touristy but a sunset dinner cruise is a fun thing to do if you are staying in Waikiki. Beautiful views! Will you have a car?

5. blue986

blue986 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks for the insight so far - I appreciate it. I will have a car for the duration of my trip so mobility is not an issue.

6. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Make sure you hit Rainbow Drive Inn and get the mixed plate.

7. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Use your Brother's MWR benefits to your advantage. You can go for a ride on the Navtek submarine for $36 (last time I bought one) right there in Waikiki. Dinner cruises are seriously discounted. I personally loved Germaine's Luau for taking family. It was small enough you didnt have to wait for 30 minutes to get alcohol. If you rent a jeep, Kaena point is beautiful, and fun place to use 4wd (dont get stuck or beat up the rental too much though). I loved Haleiwa when I lived on Oahu. Laie shrimp trucks are great eats ("ono grinds" as the locals would say). Also make sure to see the historic sites. Pearl Harbor is well worth a visit.

For food:
    -Diamond Head Health Bar (great fruit smoothies/bowls etc)
    -Leonards Bakery (get a fresh malasada)
    -Shokudo Japanese (it's a fusion sushi place..very unique. Finish with an order of honey toast)
    -Any of the North shore shrimp trucks. Giovannis is popular, but I like Romy's because of the bigger menu
    -Blazin Steaks/Great Steaks (steak plates are awesome)
    -Teddy's Bigger Burger (burger place, usually have some pretty cool creations)
    -Cinnamon's (breakfast place in Kailua. Best breakfast on the island...)
    -Haleiwa Joes (go there for lunch, order the catch of the day. It's always amazingly fresh)
    -Whole ox cafe (I keep seeing things about this place, never been, but it looks awesome)
    -Real A Gastropub (If you like beer, and you like food...this is the place to be.)
    -Monkeypod Kitchen (Its just good)

I used to love hiking Koko head to watch the sunrise. You had to start about 5-5:30am to get to the top in time to see daybreak, but jet lag will be in your favor.

My friends are still posting plenty of pics of Humpback whales passing through the islands. If your girl likes those things I'll bet you could grab a whale watching tour and get lucky.

Also, I don't know your age, but if you decide to see the nightlife, stay away from M nightclub (my story, I get contacted from someone once a month who goes through something similar, but because the owner funds the local politicians, nothing ever happens):

Victim in Alleged ?M? Nightclub Beating Speaks Up ? Pictures of Incident | Hawaii News and Island Information

8. MT Wallet

MT Wallet Rookie

Jan 26, 2014
    If you have a GPS or map....you can search for the Pali Lookout which is located up the Pali Highway in the Nuuanu area of Honolulu.

Just don't leave any valuables in your vehicle. There are a lot of car break-ins at lookouts.

Pali is probably one of the worst.

9. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #9 Kevin Rev'n, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
    There is a guard at the Pali lookout that checks to see if you are a local or not so the Pali lookout should be pretty safe. BTW if you are not a local you have to pay a couple of bucks to park there. I would have no problem leaving valuables in a car there.

If food is your thing seek out Hanks Haut Dogs too! Close to where you are staying. and get to over to Ala Moana shopping center and have a wonderful time at...

Ala Moana Center: Shirokiya Restaurant (Shirokiya)

If you are adventurous with food and like Asian fare this is not to miss. Make sure you are hungry.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I just realized that MT might be referring to the hike off the pali highway down below the lookout on the other side of the tunnel. If the parking lot looks sketchy I always take pictures of the other cars nearby and any people hanging out. One big slow panarama shot works well for this purpose.

11. MT Wallet

MT Wallet Rookie

Jan 26, 2014
    Sorry,

Just hate seeing a newcomer get some bad news. It is a great place and I would go there definitely! :)

12. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Zippy's

13. MT Wallet

MT Wallet Rookie

Jan 26, 2014
    That, too!

For some great high end food he could try Alan Wong's restaurant in Honolulu or the Pineapple Room for breakfast (Ala Moana Shopping Ctr).