Moving to Oahu | FerrariChat

Moving to Oahu

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by bcb70, Jun 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Just found out I'm moving to Oahu in a few months and thinking about bringing the Ferrari.
    Any suggestions for a Ferrari mechanic on island?

Any suggestions about areas to live in and rental properties is greatly appreciated also.

Brian

2. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Great place to get some scenic shots of your Ferrari. Just don't get caught going 80 +, that requires a visit to see the judge.
    There is a terrific Ferrari certified technician at the local Ferrari dealer.
    I personally love living on the east side. Nicer neighborhoods and drier weather. Being a car guy not crazy about areas that are typically wet (Kaneohe, Mililani, Red Hill, Manoa).
    Look forward to seeing your Ferrari when you arrive.
    Aloha

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Rental properties as an investment or to live in? House or condo?

4. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Thanks for the responses.
    I'm looking for a house or condo to rent, 2 bedroom 2 bath if possible.
    This might be too much to ask but would love to have a suitable parking spot for the Ferrari

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm pretty sure you will want to live in town since you are looking for a condo. For your Ferrari to fit in, I would say to look at these luxury condos. Rent for a 2/2 is at least $3500 a month.

Kakaako (area around Ala Moana Center)
    - Ko'olani
    - Hokua
    - Hawaiki Tower
    - Nauru Tower
    - Moana Pacific
    - Pacifica
    - Keola Lai

Older buildings in the same area.
    - Imperial Plaza
    - 1350 Ala Moana

Waikiki
    - Landmark Building

Makiki
    - Admiral Thomas

6. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Great info. I'll definitely check them out.

Any rental house suggestions? This will be our first time living in Oahu and we're not sure if we want a house or condo.

And insight or personal experience?

Thanks again,
    Brian

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Where will you be working? (geographically) You can PM me if you prefer. That will help determine an area to live as traffic sucks here and our roads are even worse.

What activities are you into?

8. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What vintage is your Ferrari? Larry (sowest) works on older Italian stuff at his shop in Honolulu.

9. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Hi Larry,
    I'll be bringing a 1997 F355 spider.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You have a lot to figure out! I might be able to offer some suggestions too. I say avoid the wet areas if you love your car. If you like to drive your car to work where might that be? Feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help out too.

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hawaii Kai is a good area but the drive in can be a pain. Thinking about moving back myself, maybe part time, but my daughter is in 2nd grade and I wouldn't say the schools are the best.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #12 Kevin Rev'n, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The private schools are as good anywhere in the world. (Obama went to Punahou) If you don't mind a 1/2 hour commute to your office you might enjoy living in Kailua as we do.

Check this out and get up to speed on the different neighborhoods.

OahuRE Search

If you have specific questions about windward neighborhoods feel free to post up here or PM me and I will be happy to help.

The Ferrari world is pretty small out here so it wont take very much effort on your part to get the full lay of the land. Someone mentioned Larry Thompson. His handle on here is "Sowest". I wouldn't hesitate to PM him about your car, or just to start making friends prior to your arrival.

We also have Aron Inoue at JN Exotics (Ferrari Dealership) to cover the care of more modern exotic cars. From what I hear he is the most trained tech in the state and is a car nut just like us! I can send you his email address if you want to try and say hello before you get here.....disclaimer (he gets very busy and can be tough to reach).

It wouldn't take much to arrange to meet the guys at the Ferrari Dealership too who are tied into most, if not all, of the car events that would welcome your car to the island. I am happy to help with introductions once you are here or provide an email address for you to reach out prior. There are a couple of 355's that I have seen at a couple of the events but I do not know them personally. Maybe someone here can help arrange a virtual intro so that you can feel comfortable with relocating your car.

Here is one I followed at the last event I attended! Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    As of today, the commute is getting worse. They are repaving the highway from W. Hind Drive to Hanauma Bay and it is going to take them 18 months to repave 4.5 miles.

14. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    All,
    Thanks for all of the great info. My wife is excited about looking at rentals in all of these areas.
    I would love to hook up with you guys once I'm on island probably by mid October.
    Keep the info coming its a big help.

15. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #15 yronZFF, Jun 26, 2014
    I had a '97 F355 Spider that was serviced by Aron at JN Exotics, and like Gil and Kevin says, he's terrific and a car nut like us!

Let's see a pix of yours!

16. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wow Ron, that is/was a beauty. Your taste is cars in exceptional!

17. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    +1 what Kevin said!
    Nice pic Ron!

18. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    #18 bcb70, Jun 27, 2014
  19. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  20. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Nice! Lots of top down driving once you get here!

21. rsky

rsky Rookie

Hawaii Roads have to be some of the worst in the Nation. Always fixing, and closing off 3-4 lanes on the freeway. Pot holes and metal plates all over the place.. it's become a night mare. I usually just drive in the west side, from kunia, to Kapolei. Roads are usually smoother not to mention open. North South road is also a nice run. But it's a 35 mph area.

Try and avoid traffic at all cost.

22. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Hi all,
    My count down is on. I'll be on island in less than two weeks for house hunting. I've narrowed the areas down to Diamond head, Hawaii Kai to Kailua and anything in between.
    Any recommendations for rentals in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

My biggest concern is parking for the Ferrari. Does anyone have any suggestions on storage facilities, garages etc. where I can store the Ferrari?

I look forward to meeting you all soon.

23. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
  24. 05roadsterguy

05roadsterguy Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Snohomish
    Full Name:
    Herman
    Even if your only coming for a couple of years, why not buy a condo with a garage attached? I know its kinda late, but I never knew This section existed. Prices are high but not unreasonable, and when you leave you can rent them out for additional income if you buy in a resort zone.

We do not have a Ferrari on Kauai, but we keep a VW van at our place in Princeville in the garage and it holds up well. Rental expenditures, or rental income? Talk to the realtor your using about options.

25. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What do you have in Princeville? Thinking about heading over to Kauai sometime next month. Usually stay at the Westin when on the Northside but option to other options.