Ferrari Kona coffee | FerrariChat

Ferrari Kona coffee

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by jlonmark, Dec 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    [​IMG]

I'm in Kona visiting from ca when I stumbled upon this! Since cappuccino was invented in Italy, it makes perfect sense that they are trying to keep the tradition alive. I didn't get a chance to try it, but I'm sure it's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I would think that Kona is too mild to make espresso out of, no matter how long it's roasted.

Perhaps Duane_Estill, roaster extraordinaire, would care to comment?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I met her a long time ago at her cart on the boardwalk. Get the Peaberry. :)

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've had ”OK” Kona espresso, but in general, I think this comment is correct (IMO, of course). Straight coffee is the way to go. It probably could be done with Kona beans with enough skill & technique, but I'd think other varities would be much easier to make into quality espresso...T

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    we bought 100% kona coffee while in maui. found it to be very mild. still prefer peets.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Although considered by many an inferior bean, IMO you need some robusta beans for a good espresso. Also, robusta beans have more caffeine than arabica beans if what I read is correct. Lavazza sells a nice arabica-robusta blend that makes a good espresso. Our friends travel to the Big Island a lot and are always sending us coffee. I pretty much gave up trying to make a good espresso from Hawaiian coffee. It's like trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. If you want a nice, mild coffee - Kona is a good way to go. If you're an espresso fan, like myself, you need to go in a different coffee direction. Of course, if you really want a great mild, smooth drinking coffee - go big and try the uber-expensive Kopi Luwak. I got some for my wife last Xmas & it was damn good!...T

7. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    +1 for blue sky coffee company in kona. but I'm biased since our son took his first steps there over 10 years ago. if you are in Southern California +111 for jones coffee company in Pasadena. took a fun barista class there where they teach you how to best tune your own machine. and they recommend good beans for you. they have never steered me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #8 Kevin Rev'n, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice lead on Alan Wong's - one more reason I want to try his place the next time I am in the islands.

I did a mini-tour of some plantations on Kona a bunch of years back

Kona Coffee from Greenwell Kona Coffee Farms, Hawaii
    Kona Coffee at Mountain Thunder -- Simply the best!
    The Trellis Coffee Company - Kona Joe Coffee LLC

and one or two others that escape me right now…T

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I have 5 Lbs of Kona in the freezer. Its been there for two years. That stuff is way too light for my taste. I use Starbucks French Roast from Costco.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I know a lot of people who would be happy to take it off your hands! :)
    Although after 2 years in the deep freeze, who knows what kind of shape it is in…T

12. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    A not to miss dining experience. Mr. Obama just had the place to himself a couple of weeks ago! Listen carefully to the per-arranged menu choices and select the one that makes your mouth water!

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Definitely. Ate at his Pineapple Room place last time & enjoyed it, so very much looking forward to the main event next time wife and I are in HI!

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Alan Wong's! What a great place. Although you would never guess as it's in a nondescript office building.