April Auto Lunch | FerrariChat

April Auto Lunch

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Mar 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    The next meeting of The Auto Lunch Bunch will be Wednesday, April 1. The place will be the second floor of the Hawaii Yacht Club and the time will be 12:00 noon.

On display this month will be a 2015 Lexus RC and a 2015 Volvo XC-60.

A speaker will talk about pending legislation to fund a new racetrack on Oahu.

2. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So what happened at the meeting? Are there some minutes somewhere that we can read? I'm curious about the "pending legislation to fund a new racetrack on Oahu".

Thanks.

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Mark

I did not attend the meeting, so I can't report on what was said. The subject of a race track bubbles to the surface now and then. I did read a short article about the subject in the paper recently. Evidently, the supporters of the track are asking the legislature to authorize the issue of bonds for the project.The high hurdles to get over are always who is going to run the track and on what land is it going to be built. In all the years I've been here, there has been so much talk about racing and racetracks that came to nothing that I pay it very little attention. I find it hard to believe that a race track would get serious consideration when big developers are after every piece of land for high rises and sub-divisions. The racers just don't command enough dollars.

It is too bad. There is / was a very active motor sports community here. The old Hawaii Raceway Park had good attendance at drag and dirt track races, even some SCCA road racing. For a while, I worked nights at the industrial park where the track was and people would trailer in some serious cars, including rails, and run drags on the street in front of Hawaii Western Steel.

It would be great to see a track again. I am not holding my breath. If you really wanted more information, I would think Ed Kemper, the person that organizes the lunch meetings, could help. [email protected]

4. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It sounds like a deep pocket investor who is in it more of the passion has to get involved to make something happen. Unfortunately I am decades away from having pockets that deep!