Guess what store closed in Waikiki?? | FerrariChat

Guess what store closed in Waikiki??

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by ReinD, Jun 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Yikes! Must have closed recently, as our friends were just there...T

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wish I could afford it as my office / urban man-cave! Wouldn't even need to repaint!

4. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Yes, within the past few days. I was walking past the back to go to the Cheese Cake factory over the weekend and saw the Ferrari branded luggage in the window.

5. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Ha ha - for sure.

Even a two level bar/dance club would be cool, but the neighbors would complain about the noise.

6. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have been looking for retail space in Waikiki for the past month. I can't even put a guess on how much the rent on this space must be. More than my budget that is for sure!

7. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Granted, I don't know how any of these stores stay in business. But I always go inside them. I almost never buy anything though; I'm not alone it seems

8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I passed by the dealership on Kapiolani yesterday and the F1 car that was displayed at the Waikiki store was in the showroom.

I was in the store once and the only item that I would have liked to own was a 250 era steering wheel which was not for sale. I remember it being in a display case along with a sign that said something like "not for use on a motor vehicle" ???

9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We were there last year and my wife bought a $65 hat and I didn't see anyone else buying anything at the time.

Personally, i didn't like to see the store in Waikiki nor do I like to see Gucci, Prada, etc. I might as well be on Rodeo Drive. I miss the Waikiki days with the Woolworths, Liberty House, the bars on Lewers street, the cheap Mai Tais and peanut shells on the floor at the Crow's Nest and even the International Marketplace.

They may not be economically viable in today's world but they were the things that used to make the area fun. Now I can only see them on a Magnum re-run.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #10 Wade, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Wow, I just stopped into JN exotics the other day, and it explains why they have te replica F1 car on there now, lol.

12. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    The guy I talked to at the store said that this was a model he had to order and put together. Probably not an Amalgam.

13. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    It's a scale model of an F430 coupe. If I recall correctly it had a price tag matching a recent high school grad's first car.

I've purchased a few times there but there is just so much Ferrari wear one could wear.

Sad to see it go, it was nice to find the right size clothing since they mostly are one size smaller than most U.S. Sizes.

14. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.

Maybe it was an Amalgam? Lol.

I liked the store, too! Sad to see it go as well.

15. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Well said

16. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

Waikiki has completely lost the plot IMO. I avoid the place if at all possible.
    I am amazed that it has been allowed to become what it is. It boggles the mind.

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Agreed. It pains me too see so many mainland chain restaurants on Waikiki, but then again, they're usually packed, so someone must want to go there. Last few times wife and I rented a condo, went shopping at Safeway, cooked in most nights. When we ate out, hit places inland that were recommended by locals...T

18. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #18 Jedi, Jun 16, 2015
    Probably because someone posted my "fat Jedi" photo somewhere and it went viral and everyone barfed and said ewwww....

:)

Wasn't much of a store gotta say....

Jedi
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I noticed the change in the '80's when the drinking age changed from 18 to 21. All of the "now" under age women stopped going to Hawaii and we saw the rise of the resort towns in Mexico. Cancun was nothing but a sleepy fishing village back then.

The Japanese economy was on the rise and the shops in Waikiki catered to the new tourists coming to the islands.

Give me the days of the 18 year old girls and the cheap mai tai's (of course I was 19 at the time).

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I lived there for a short time in the 70's. Went back for the first time since, 3 years ago for a day. No need to go to Oahu anymore. I'll stick with Kawai.

Even Hawaii is unrecognizable. Spent some time in Hawi and Kohala back then too. A little different now.

21. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #21 Kevin Rev'n, Jun 17, 2015
    Great Pic Jedi, you aren't wearing slippahs!

May I suggest...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks good but I'll go for the Long's Drugs slippahs!

23. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Me too. Exactly everything you described I enjoyed. Some distinctive island flair, not cookie cutter.

24. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    SF Ferrari store closed last year too. I wonder if this is a trend.

Frankly, everything in the Ferrari store looks cheaply made. The goods don't reflect the brand, IMO.

25. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I'm here right now and as awesome as it is, this is one VERY expensive place to visit.
    Matai's are over $8.00 and taste like s**t as well. It's not my type of drink.
    I'll take a cold local beer any day now.
    The food is pretty good, but far too many people for me now. It's a crazy place and the local economy must be booming.
    I can only imagine the rent these places pay.
    The mind boggles!