328 GTS broke down, left on side of H1 East heading towards Waikiki. | FerrariChat

328 GTS broke down, left on side of H1 East heading towards Waikiki.

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Doc_K, Nov 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    If it's anyone here, I hope you get her figured out soon and get it fixed! :)

Couldn't tell if it was real or a fake.

2. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Update?

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I got a call from him this afternoon from the side of the freeway. I have no space in the shop so it got towed to the owner's place. I will go and look at it tomorrow.

It is a real car: 308 QV with twin turbos.

4. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Holy crap, Larry! Twin Turbos!? I'd love to hear more about it. Good to know it's a real car. I've seen pictures lately floating around of some fake ones in the area. Stinks for the owner, but I'm sure you'll have it up and running in no time.

5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    It's a cam belt....;>(

One bright spot is that it is the rear bank which is much easier to work on.

6. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    308 TT, sweet. Some cool cars hiding around the island.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is not possible. Everyone knows they never break.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The test is ... why it broke.

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    The belt is absolutely, positively, well and truly dead....;>)

Why? Well, age and one minute too long of high RPM running. I had looked at the engine for another reason several months ago and asked the owner about the belts. The printing on the belts was completely worn away. He said that the belts had been changed "recently". I expessed my concern again about the complete absence of the printing.

When I was doing a lot of these cars for the rental companies, I seem to remember being completely surprised by a QV that had a failed belt and somehow managed not to bend any valves. I will bring a belt to the car, set up the timing, and do a compression check before removing the head. Could we be so lucky?

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The QV and even more so the 328 have a lot of piston to valve clearance. If the cam stops dead it is very possible. The problem is most do not stop dead, they slip and move, slip and move. Then bent valves are a near certainty.

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The island is lucky to have you Larry!

12. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

Brian: Thank you for your input.It gives me a little more hope that the valves may have survived. I know the owner can do without the expense of removing the head.

Kevin: Wow! Thank you for the kind and generous comment. If there is any truth in it, the reciprocal is also true. I am lucky that the Islands accepted me. It is a great place to live. The work has been a lot of fun and, with very, very, few exceptions, my customers have been terrific.

Aloha
    Larry

13. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hope you are keeping busy Larry. I need to swing by and say hello soon. Maybe I will see a TT308 on jack stands when I am there!

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    308 tt = almost 288 gto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    It's perfect. Perfect zeros. Cylinders one through four did not even bump the needle on the compression gauge. The teeth are missing on about six inches of the belt.

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#16 Glassman, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    So are you saying this car was six inches and how ever many teeth that is .....off of timing on at least one bank and no valve piston interference?

17. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Glassman

Maybe I was being too "clever" and muddled the message. No. There is zero compression in every cylinder of the rear bank. There is at least one bent valve in each of those cylinders.

Perfect, but perfectly bad....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

18. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Ok I get it. I was thinking holy crap.....there's that much room in there!!!!

19. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #19 sowest, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Typical failure. Seen it a bunch.

Like I always said, looks perfect except for the broken part.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They have a lot of space but when teeth get stripped off, which is typical, the cam stops, then turns, then stops, then turns until they are all bent. Takes a few seconds is all.

22. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Are you in Maui? I rented a 348 spider for 6 hours back in 2002 while on our honeymoon...the rental place tried to talk me into a "faster" corvette, but realized I wanted nothing other than the Ferrari...he asked me to go easy on the clutch as they just had to replace it. I assured him I wouldn't mis-treat the car. Put 165 miles on the car in 6 hours! I even managed to find one straightway between all the curvy roads and hit 130! (have it in our honeymoon picture album :) ) Nothing beats driving a convertible Ferrari in Hawaii!

Anyway, I wonder if you were the guy that did the clutch on that 348? She had about 35K miles on her when I rented it...(according to the picture in my photo album :) )

23. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Andrew

It might have been me. One of the Honolulu rental companies (I am in Honolulu) had a branch on Maui and I would fly over and work on their cars. There was another rental company that was based on Maui that had Ferrari, but I never did any work for them. They weren't too far apart on the Kaanapali side.

It was an interesting time. A lot of clutches were replaced. Many renters tried to get more than their money's worth....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

24. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Frequent clutch replacement also makes me think the renters also simply didn't know how to drive a stick correctly :)

The place I rented from had only the one ferrari, a vette, I think a TT audi, and maybe several other interesting cars, but I remember also had a bunch of motorcycles. At $325 for 6 hours, it was money well spent! That's wild if you worked on it. Since the owner said it was like $3K+ for the clutch he just had done, I think he almost didn't want to rent it (or at least make sure the customer seemed like they knew what they were doing & was unlikely to abuse it). Based on that, I didn't get the impression he was planning on getting any more Ferraris in the rental fleet. Have to rent it 10 days just to pay for the clutch, before factoring in other maintenance, overhead, etc etc...

25. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Andrew

Unless the rental agent was exaggerating to make a point, I did not work on the car that you rented. I never charged that much for a clutch. They were replaced so often that we did very quick changes and replaced only the disc.

The company owner hated the 348 because it was so fragile in rental service. The 308 / 328 were VERY durable.

Aloha
    Larry