Grand Wailea - Maui | FerrariChat

Grand Wailea - Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by rdefabri, Apr 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My wife will be 50 this year, and I am thinking about taking her back to Hawaii. We were married 23 years ago and honeymooned at the Grand Wailea, it was awesome.

For our 15th wedding anniversary, we went to the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua (outstanding, by the way) and visited the Grand Wailea - it seemed to have fallen into disrepair. I know it has been refurbished and is now a Waldorf property - is it in nice shape?

We're in NJ, but found some fabulous deals to stay there - I'm excited about the possibility, but wasn't sure what the state of the hotel was.

Any thoughts?

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Those fabulous deals usually accompany construction activities either at the hotel you are looking at or the next door property. This has been my observation on "deals". Good luck.

3. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yep - why I was asking.

However, we did get a great deal when we went to the Ritz - no such issues. Realize that a big part of the cost is airfare as we would be flying from NJ.

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1 on the Ritz... especially through Amex

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Go next door to the Four Seasons or the Fairmont. They are beautiful.

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was last at the Grand Wailea about 18 months ago and they were under renovation at that time. They should be finished by now.

7. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    I worked at the GW for four months in 1994 after graduation. So I just missed your honeymoon by a year. Back then it was the most amazing resort. Since then, whenever we visited Maui I would always stop by and walk the grounds but have not been back in a few years since we wind up going to Oahu much more these days.

I was a member of the pool staff. Actually pretty mind-numbing work. I couldn't wait to get back to San Francisco and start real work. As soon as I got back though, I really missed the pool! I remember hauling one of the heavy umbrella units from the far end of the kids pool up to the adult pool since one lady needed it. Just happened she was Marlon Brando's youngest daughter. She stayed at the hotel with her boyfriend (booo!) for something like a month. That was some serious coin. Or it certainly was then was then! She was cool.

I would go back just for old times sake. You can say how your love has held up much better than the hotel! Maybe stay a few nights and move to another resort if you are really worried.

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It really was great then. I remember thinking to myself that we didn't belong there - we were really just kids.

Small world - we were there in May 1994, so a little before you got there? Would have been funny if it were same time!

We're leaning towards going - I can't imagine it's horrible, and I'm ok if there's an adjacent property under construction...we don't get too concerned over that. The other times we were there we rented a car and went around the island, we'd do the same now that the kids are a little older.

There are few places I look forward to going to - I'm not a big time traveler anymore. Hawaii definitely gets me excited, I'm blessed to have been there twice, now maybe a third time!!

9. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I was there last Feb. the 4 Seasons is nicer, but we thought the GW was quite nice.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Our thinking is that the GW is very kid friendly - including big kids (me). I loved the pool, and my daughters will have a blast there too. My wife likes to lay out and tan (not my thing), so I need to be occupied.

We'd be in the Napua Tower, which is even better. My only concern was that reno was complete - I think it is.

Never stayed at the Four Seasons, but I'm sure it's lovely. Even some of the lower priced resorts were beautiful - at least compared to what I am used to! :)

11. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    GW is full of Kids, much more than the 4 seasons. You really can't go wrong with any of the resorts along that strip. We also spent a few nights at the Marriott a few properties over and it was great too.

Enjoy!
    dsd

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Four Seasons. One of the nicest properties that I've ever been to.

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you are going with kids, I'd recommend the GW. My daughter loves the lazy river/water slides and rope swing.

14. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Been to GW twice in the past few years, once with my wife alone and the 2nd time with my 3 teenage daughters (actually for my wife's 50th birthday). The GW hotel, as you know, is massive and "old" but I wouldn't characterize her in any condition other than excellent. As far as the Four Seasons next door is concerned, its really not even a contest. The Four Seasons is the best for numerous reasons (hotel design, privacy, elegance, food, service, etc.), but with that moniker you will pay 50% or more for a similar room. Worth it ? That depends on your budget and needs. I personally like the walk on the "boardwalk/trail" that runs the length of the shoreline and the actual beach so for me spending less at the GW is fine as the boardwalk/trail and beach are the same. I also like diving and snorkeling . As far as food, you can eat where you want regardless of where you stay (the Four Seasons had a great steakhouse). Enjoy your 50th !

15. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'm a big fan of the Four Seasons chain overall. My Dad had an account with them. Ate in the Vancouver locations restaurant every day for lunch. Stayed in a few locations. Now though its tough to beat the Fairmont. My overall favorite is the Ritz chain, but the Fairmont's are just as good service and food wise in general.

16. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    I went to the GW last year specifically for the pool ( I have a 6 yo son). What a disappointment. The pool was absolutely freezing cold. I heard people gasping when they put their feet in. It was practically empty during the day except for the tweens shivering while lining up for the slides. But the jacuzzi was packed with people....in the middle of the warm sunny summer days, just so they could enjoy some form of getting wet. And I mean elbow to elbow. I called and left a message for the GM to look at the surveillance video from that and the previous days showing and empty pool and packed jacuzzi. I wont be going back. Four Seasons next time.

17. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The Ritz is fantastic - it's a quiet property, but their club / concierge service was second to none. It was as if we had a personal concierge, the woman that helped us was that good.

Totally recommend that property.

18. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The Ritz is my go to favorite. I've stayed at both in Hawaii. The Laguna Beach location is my favorite hotel period! The Toronto and Montreal are the best in Canada.

But my second choice now is the Fairmont getting up in service to the Ritz level.

19. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    One more vote tor the Four Seasons. We have been their several times over the years and never had a bad stay. We usually take the whole family now including some grandkids and they also enjoy the activities. But there are not many kids there generally.

20. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I visited the GW last week. Sweeeeeeet! I didn't notice any construction?

21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Four Seasons and the Fairmont in Wailea are beautiful.

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Right next door to where we were in the Grand Wailea. Now that I'm back, I can give an assessment - the place is much better than it was when we checked it out 7-8 years ago. However, it's still not "pristine", which is what I felt the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua was.

Our room had a patched hole in the wall (not painted), the lanai had some metal trim coming loose and a coffee cup lid tossed in the (lovely) foliage. Not earth shattering, but unacceptable for a premium property.

The pool had some areas closed, but on the whole, it was fine. We were in the Napua Tower (club level), so drinks, breakfast, and apps were covered. Drinks were made with premium liquor, and the food was good enough to sustain us at times (but still no match for the Ritz, which was absolutely the BEST).

The concierges were helpful, but not "connected". When we stayed at the Ritz, our concierge (an amazing woman named Leslie) was able to get us a prime seat at the busiest time, no problem at all. The GW used Open Table (although I did ask one of them to call, which they did), but we were stuck having dinner at 4:00pm. That wasn't too bad, but just showed they weren't able to pull strings, which may be a perception more than reality, but it sure seemed like Leslie was able to do things these folks couldn't.

Off club level dining in the hotel was, as expected, expensive. I was impressed at the size of the portions, though, and the quality of the food. We did go off property, and that's well worth it. For those that think you can't do Maui / Hawaii on a "budget", I can tell you it can be done. "Budget" is a RELATIVE term, but there are ways.

Paia Fish Market in Kihei - awesome and EXTREMELY reasonable. Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina, also very reasonable and good. We ordered poke bowls from the local Foodland and ate at a Kihei park - excellent quality and taste from almost nothing.

We also tied it on a bit, too. The aforementioned Mama's Fish House was great, but very expensive. The Mill House at Maui Tropical Plantation was more reasonable with some of the best food we'd eaten all week. Another gem is Monkeypod Kitchen - definitely worth checking out if you are on the island. I have to say a personal favorite was Cuatro in Kihei. Nothing to write home about location, but the food was excellent...it's a BYOB, but check it out if you have the chance.

We did some really cool stuff - Haleakala, an outrigger canoe experience, a luau, etc.

Final note - a little plug for Pacific Roots Tatau. I wanted to get a traditional hand-tapped tattoo while on the island. I couldn't make that happen, but did the "modern" route. As we were commemorating my wife's 50th and doing it as a family (kids came as well), I had something done freehand in the a Maori / Polynesian style (an infinity with the words "Ohana"). Yes, it's quite cliched and could be perceived as "girly", but it's not - looks great and the work is outstanding. I had a blast and the artist was a good man.

All in all, a great time - can't wait to get back!

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    What was the cost comparison vs the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua? If the same cost then not so good but if significantly less $$$ then perhaps worth the different level of facility and service. We usually stay at the Four Seasons (at Wailea in the South of Maui) which we have always been well pleased but certainly not a budget facility. Not sure how it compares with the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua as have not stayed there. I think next year we may be taking our adult kids and grand kids to Maui so I appreciate your review.

24. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Good question, tough to say given the time difference. That being said, I recall the cost was similar, although that was 7-8 years ago. This time around, my wife quoted it and it was definitely more expensive - not a huge amount, but definitely more than enough that we couldn't justify the cost.

My wife just checked some sites and it looks like for a week, the Ritz is about $500 more per person (this is flight and hotel). Seems about right.

As you may know, Kapalua is quiet, you need to drive to do just about anything. Wailea, you can walk to more than a few places (golf, shopping, restaurants), and Kihei is very close. With the Grand Wailea's pool, the fun factor is higher for the kids, so it was a no-brainer.

GW wasn't budget by any stretch, but for this trip the combination of luxury and price was better than Four Seasons and the Ritz for us, which is why we ended up there. But if you are picky about things like what I described above (and I am), then Four Seasons or the Ritz would be better choices.

One thing about the Ritz, the concierge was so attentive and so personable that it made the vacation that much more amazing. She set the bar so high, that it's probably unfair to compare concierges at other hotels, but maybe I'm a little spoiled! :)