Hawai'i Life - What'S'up Around the Islands... | FerrariChat

Hawai'i Life - What'S'up Around the Islands...

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Hannibal308, Aug 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Started this thread where we can just chat freely about what we've seen, what concerns us, or any other island topics that come up...

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    all i can say is it is mighty humid this weekend.

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    On my way home...I hope!

Delta Air Lines clown act may F it all up...

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I think that was the case according to witnesses. But the stabber also pulled in front, and brake checked the vehicle that the other guys were in. And apparently has done this before. A self-defense claim cannot be made if you instigated the confrontation.

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    So he pisses someone off, has done it before, they pull over behind him, he runs, two dudes chase and start beating him, he pulls a knife and nearly kills them. That will be really interesting in court.

The whole thing is stupid. I drive like a total puss on O'ahu because I don't want to be part of something like this.

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    #7 Hannibal308, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Friday/12AUG Farrington highway closed well short of the last parking lot with HPD turning us back just beyond Dillingham Airfield and the YMCA camp. Any clues why? Maybe I should have waited to ask the cop, but I turned around after watching 5 cars in front of me get turned around. Went to hike Keālia trail instead.

9. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    It was not good to be on the H1 this afternoon. A high speed chase from Waianae to Kaneohe and back to H1 near Aiea. Suspect was a 'most-wanted' kat who was captured on foot.

Newlywed couple rows from the Mainland to Hawaii in 39 days...on their honeymoon. That should test a marriage. Good on 'em.

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    #10 Hannibal308, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    International Marketplace in Waikiki opened back up yesterday after being closed for about 2 years. It is over the top and amazing. Those looking for old Waikiki avert your eyes.

If you haven't been to Waikiki in years it is worth a trip to check out and get a nice dinner.

12. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF

Our family misses the old tree house restaurant. I don't know if I have the stomach to walk in just yet. Kalakaua Ave has upscaled so much in the last 15 years it's unrecognizable if one hasn't been around. I remember when there was two-way traffic. One-way streets in Town drive me nuts. I always bring my friend Patience with me when in Town. ;-)

13. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I'll check it out in December, I have a feeling I will be sad about the loss...

14. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    two way traffic last time I was there, are you telling me the tree house rest/bar is gone, that's terrible, I remember they had a bird at the entrance that would call down to you, my first blue Hawaii drink was there, and what of all the caravans with all the jewelry and watches etc,. is that all gone?

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think the entire place was leveled with the exception of the tree. Now, it looks more like a fancy outdoor shopping center found in the US.

16. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Brings back memories. I worked there back in '81-'82 at Farrell's Ice Cream. Anyone else remember that place? Also worked at the Ala Moana location in '81.

I was last there just a few weeks before they tore it down. Love to see a photo of what it looks now. I won't be back until the FCA event in March of next year.

17. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    I was there in the early 80's and remember Farrell's well, so sad its all gone it seems,

P.S. you never gave me the correct change!

18. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Money from Japan and China is to "blame". Old Waikiki is nearly gone across the board. Very few spots left. Gotta keep the spigot of money flowing into the state. The more expensive Waikiki is the more money comes in.

Kailua is over run with tourism now. North Shore is crowded most the time. Everyone wants a piece of paradise.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I've only lived here for three months and I have yet to set foot anywhere near Waikiki...I drove through one time (because my daughter asked me to) and could barely recognize anything from the old days when our jets would "break" at Hickham and we would have to wander around town looking for a hotel and testing out all the bars. Now I just stick to the "country" where I walk my young girls to elementary school and go surfing while they learn something.

20. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I had a few drinks and poke at La Marianas Sailing Club...the last of the old Tiki Bars. It's in an industrial area but on the water and totally worth it. It's classic tacky tiki from da 50's complete with pucker-fish ceiling lights and killer Zombies (drink).

21. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Definitely a kitschy, but fun place.

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    A lot of their décor came from Trader Vic's when the Honolulu restaurant closed. Would still like to visit the one in London. Check out the werewolves.

23. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    One thing about living here, when inclement weather is incoming, the government agencies go into panic mode.

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Not sure if I call it panic mode...They have some of the best response I've witnessed...I was there for both tsunami warnings and they made sure everyone, tourists and low land peeps were safe...