Allard | FerrariChat

Allard

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Sep 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just came across some lost/forgotten photographs.

It has been said before and it is true. Hawaii is and has been home for some very interesting cars. This J2X came to me after sitting for a long time with a broken rear axle and gearbox problems. I got a new axle made and got a set of Lincoln Zephyr gears for the gearbox. The engine was a 283 Chevy and the car was just a delight to drive. The problems associated with sitting were corrected and the car was pleasant, useable, and reliable. It went back to the owner.

It wasn't long before I heard through the grapevine that the car was substantially dismantled and was going to have a period Cadillac engine installed. I understand that it sat for years in a dismantled state. As car values rose and fell, I would get periodic inquiries, both local and mainland, about the whereabouts of "the Allard". It did end up on the mainland and was a "profiled" car in "Sports Car Market" magazine.

It sure would be nice to see something with such character on our roads today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Was this in the early 80's?

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That was the one owned by a person with the same last name?

4. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Steve and Bryan

I was trying to think of some way to fix a date to the Allard being on the road. The early 80's seems very likely, but I have no evidence of any kind. The prints were in an envelope with the negatives and a contact sheet. The contact sheet has a date of 1998 on it. I can't believe it was that late. I suspect that I had some copies made at that time for some reason.

Bryan, I am not quite sure of the meaning of your question. If you mean "Was the owner's name the same as the car, Allard?", the answer is no. The owner was well known in the real estate community.

Aloha
    Larry

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I know there was an Allard on Kaimoku Way off the Waialae golf course. Back in the early 80s, a bunch of my classmates lived there and the Allard lived in a garage on the Ewa end of Kaimoku. I always thought the guys last name was Allard.

6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Bryan

Yes, you have the right location. The owner had a very varied collection of stuff in a building there. I seem to remember a vintage popcorn wagon and some automated music making machines. I don't what they were called, kind of like a player piano with multiple instruments. I also remember a very elaborate wooden bar that was taken out of a saloon in Alaska.

I will PM you the name.

Aloha
    Larry

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Small world! Didn't spend time on the right side as all my buddies lived on the left side.