maui and restaurants.......again | FerrariChat

maui and restaurants.......again

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Edward 96GTS, Jun 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    haven't been back to maui in 5+ yrs.
    any new great lunch and dinner places?
    what are the old favorite standbys?
    mamas still top dog?
    tia

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I am looking for similar recommendations near Kihei, Maui. I have a group of 20 going there next week for 8 days.

Any f/chatters I could buy a drink while I am there ?

3. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    I would recommend Roy's in Kaanapali, Monkeypod in Kihei, and upstairs at Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina at sunset.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In my humble opinion:

Of those, Moneypod is the best of those three, sometimes good, but can vary widely.
    Roy's is Roy's, a mediocre chain that I wrote off a long time ago - I really don't understand why anyone eats there.
    Cheeseburger in Paradise has nice views, but... It's Cheeseburger in Paradise, you can guess the rest. If you're willing to drive, the food is better and your toes are in the sand at the restaurants in Whaler's Village - but don't expect too much.

Mama's Fish House is for the experience as much as the food, but it's solid.
    You may want to try Restaurant Hotel Wailea.
    You could also book Feast at Lele. It's decent food (great for a Luau,) and a good spectacle. If you get into the mood of the thing, you'll have a good time and even enjoy eating there.
    I haven't found good food at the oceanfront hotels in that area (yes, even the Four Seasons sucks.) The Montage way up there in Kapalua might be good (I haven't eaten there,) but it's a haul.

5. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    #5 gef3rd, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    I used to go to Roy's before they moved to the golf course and I've never had a bad meal there. Cheeseburger in Paradise is not about the food (as you can guess by the name). You can enjoy live music at night, look at the sunset and walk down Front Street afterwards. I usually spend a couple nights a week there when I visit (fun filled atmosphere plus I like their Mai Tais).

There is a show on Front Street at Warren and Annabelle's. If you have time I would try and catch the show. The food and drinks aren't particularly great but the show is very entertaining.

If you're a golfer there is something known as "The Game". Locals show up around noon to play a team competition. Lowest handicappers are captains and they choose players off the board listed by names and handicaps. The Game rotates courses so I would just call the starter at Kaanapali and ask where they're playing and what time you need to be there. Best part is you get the Kama'aini (local) rate and meet some great people. Each player also puts $25 into the prize pool and money gets handed out to the winners at the bar afterwards.

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Thanks for those spots guys ! We are doing the Luau at the Grand Wailea on Monday night, which is 1/2 the distance Lahina would be.

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    have reservations at montage. will provide feedback

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Monkeypod is very good. Luau at GW is good too.

Mama's is still great, but the Mill House gives it a run for its money. Want good cheap eats? Paia Fish Market - there's one in Kihei if you are staying in Wailea...

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Ferraro's at the Four Seasons Maui (next to the Grand Wailea) is really good and a beautiful setting outside... not sure if you need to be a guest at the Four Seasons there or not.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You do not need to be a guest to eat at Ferraro's. However, my last meal there was awful - overcooked steak, wilted lettuce, refrigerated mealy tomatoes, and way overpriced for what you get.

11. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Just back from Maui in the last 2 weeks, I still like Mama's. Don't feel like you can lose there.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    We like the margaritas at Polli's in Makawao

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Always a fan of mamas and paia fish market and have been for over 15 years. Went to nicks fish market last night.... terrible, really went downhill. Spago, Ferraros and of course Thai Mee Up food truck has fantastic
    Thai food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Lesser known locals seafood. Eskimo Candy in Kihei, north end near Napa auto parts = yum!