Foot docs: feet going numb while on machines/treadmill? | FerrariChat

Foot docs: feet going numb while on machines/treadmill?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ryalex, Feb 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    About 15-20mins into any aerobic machine workout, my feet tend to go numb, esp my right foot for some reason. I have to pick up one foot at a time and shake them out for 20-30 seconds.

What does that mean? Too tight on top? Bad arch position in the shoe? It happens with pretty much every running/cross trainer shoe I've had in the last 10 years.

2. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I spend a lot of time on a mountain bike and began to experience pain and numbness in my feet after riding for a while. I had a sports Doc check things out and he determined that a couple pairs of my Italian dress shoes were too narrow. When your feet are compressed this causes a number of problems. I replaced my shoes and the doc gave me a couple pads for my cycling shoes. Problems went away very quickly.

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    More questions before possible solutions. Have you tried walking on the treadmill barefoot to see if the symptoms are replicated? Do you walk with the treadmill on an incline? Do your symptoms occur at the same time frame after initiating exercise. What is your medical history? Age? Does this only happen when on the treadmill?

There could be many causes for this. Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, An L5-S1 disc herniation. Shoes are toot tight. PAD ( peripheral artery disease ). Intermittent claudication.

4. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I used to have some weird tingling in my feet. I also had too narrow of shoes. Went from D to 4E and its better now. Also my legs and back feel better.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Strange, I get the same thing from time to time. I think it comes from a pinched nerve. My shoes aren't too narrow, I have an abnormally narrow foot. So difficult to find dress shoes that fit right.

6. acuransx20001

acuransx20001 Karting

May 19, 2005
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    I've had the same problem. The bottom of my left foot would tingle then go numb after 30 minutes of playing soccer. Went to the doctor and he said it should get better with time as I had just started exercising again. Since then, I haven't had that problem, but instead, found out I have a moderate meniscus issue in my left knee :(

-Abe

7. cde1218

cde1218 Rookie

Feb 24, 2009
    Like everyone else has said, try different shoes and def. switch up the incline. I used to have bad shin splints and when I would walk on say speed of 4.0 and a 0 incline my shins would tense up and my feet would hurt. If you were to slow down the speed to say 3.6 and bump it up to 5.0 incline you'd likely change the pressure on your feet and shins and it may go away. This worked for me, and is only my opinion but it def worked.

8. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Look up "tarsal tunnel syndrome"... Note, I am not a podiatrist