Protein Intake | FerrariChat

Protein Intake

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by REMIX, Jun 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

How the hell does a person consume a gram of protein per pound of body weight per day without spending a fortune?

By this rule of thumb, I need 170 grams of protein per day...I just bought some Isopure (50g per serving, 200 cal) to bump up the average...I'm downing this 2x a day and, at $40, this is going to last me around 10 days.

Any other ideas? I want to pack on some muscle while watching calorie intake.

RMX

2. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    #2 Evolved, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
    shakes, protein powders and chicken.

Costco has protein shakes pre mixed

160 calories 30 grams and about a buck and a half each. Powder they sell is good and even cheaper but lots of calories

Oh yeah, and eggs.

3. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Chicken
    Eggs
    Beans

I think 100g of protein from powder is too much. Realistically speaking, you only need one serving a day, and that's after your workout.

www.thedailyplate.com <- go there and input everything you eat on an average day. I think you'll be surprised at how much protein you're consuming.

Good luck.

4. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada
    eat six small meals a day with protein at each one. example....8am 6 eggs 25g for breaky one buck, 11am after wo shake 22g one buck, 12pm tuna sandwich 22g one buck, 3pm turkey sandwich 20g 2 bucks, 6pm chicken dinner 30g 2 bucks, 9pm 1 cup cottage cheese 30g 2 bucks. not to hard to do if you really want it.

5. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Try Gold Standard 100% Whey Gold Double Rich Chocolate by Optimum Nutrition. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=OP-1011 . It comes out to 1848 grams of protein per tub at $40/tub.

The Isopure comes out to 1050 grams of Protein per tub at $40/tub ($34 @ VitaminShoppe.com)

Spend over $99 and the shipping is free.

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Greek yogurt and edamame are two other excellent protein sources if you want a change from the shakes. I get both at Costco, the dried edamame are fabulous and they have a 12-pack of the yogurt for less than $10.

7. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    It's tough. Now you have some insight as to why pro bodybuilders do nothing else but train, eat, and recover. I.E. that IS their day jobs. Getting that much protein has you either eating, crapping, eating, or preparing the next meal. When I was building I found the constant eating actually tiring.

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Totally agree. Fish too. Go to Sam's/Costco and buy the large packs of chicken, it'll save you a ton.

And unless you're trying to compete I wouldn't try and force yourself to consume 1gm/lb of protein.

By the way what type of beans yield the highest protein, is it black beans?

9. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Agreed, eat real food! My trainer thankfully suggested cottage cheese; it's low fat and high in protein. With berries it can be quite good.

10. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    I think so. I usually mix kidney beans and black beans. The problem is that the liquid that they come in is so rich in sodium that it almost negates any health benefits incurred by eating them. I guess you could just buy the beans in bulk and not in a can and problem solved.

And how could I forget about cottage cheese! Cheap, easy, rich in protein... the perfect food (though all the cottage cheese I find has a lot of sodium in it as well). Natural PB as well!

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Definitely. Since I limit my sodium intake so much I make exceptions for some foods like that. I had refried black beans sunday.....sooooooo good.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's pretty easy for me. Egg whites for breakfast, turkey sandwich for lunch, steak/chicken/fish for dinner, and cottage cheese for dessert...

13. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Don't forget turkey.

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Bump.

Rather than start another thread, I thought I'd tack two questions onto REMIX's original one.

How does a person consume a gram of protein per pound of body weight per day without too many calories?

I saw that Isopure seemed popular here. What have been the community's experiences?

Matt

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    how many grams of protein is in one chicken breast?
    ed

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    According to LoseIt, the average cooked skinless breast is 142 calories and 26.7g of protein.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Each gram of protein is 4 calories. Not that hard to avoid eating too many calories if you weigh 200lbs and eat 800 calories (200g) of protein a day. Just don't eat foods that are filled with more fat/carbs than protein to reach that number. Egg whites, fish, and protein shakes can meet that number if you're really aiming for 1g/1lb figure.

I have a tub of whey from Costco. ON WHEY or something like that. Works out to about $1 a scoop, which is 30 grams protein. I think as a percentage, each scoop is about 80-85% protein so not much filler.

18. Blk458

Blk458 Rookie

Nov 15, 2013
    I'm basically vegetarian/vegan (For almost two years). I've been using Soy Protein Powders from Sprouts and It's been working great for me. Haven't really lost any muscle mass and became super cut up.

19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If you are eating clean and exercising you don't have to worry about calories.

I recently got tanked and was given all my stats. I found based on my rate of exercise, weight, and age I wasn't getting enough protein and had to up it to the recommended level of 1.2 - 1.5 grams per pound of body weight. I currently shoot for 245 grams a day but I don't always hit it with work and kids, etc. if I lift heavy that day I make sure I do.

My resting metabolic rate is 1958 calories a day and I need a minimum of 3,000 calories a day to meet my program.

I eat non-stop. As mentioned above it's a chore but you have to fuel the fire. I rely heavily on lots and lots of farm fresh eggs, grass fed beef, almonds, turkey, fish, etc. I would do more milk but I cut out dairy. To supplement I get Optimum Nutritions gold standard 100% whey from gnc. I try to limit the powder and bars because they are full of fillers and other junk. Nothing beats mother natures options.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks, guys.

The 1g of protein = 4 calories is a helpful formula.

I need to eat a LOT cleaner.

Matt

21. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Another way to reduce the sodium on canned beans or canned anything for that matter is to thoroughly wash then in a strainer before using - a good chunk of the sodium can be done away with by simply washing the canning preservative which is primarily sodium in its many iterations

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Avoid the sodium by buying natural and cooking them in a pressure cooker

23. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    +1. This is a really good way to go too.