Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Health & Fitness

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Steve Metz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
That's just defeatist talk right there. Losing weight is not rocket science, and doesn't require hours in the gym every day. If you do it properly, all it takes is 30-45 minutes a day, maybe 3-5 times a week. All the information on how to do so is openly available, you just have to choose to do it. Being in shape isn't something for lucky rich people who don't have to work. It's a choice. If you're out of shape it's because you choose not to put forth the effort. Simple as that.

I may take less time than that. I did Tim Ferris's Geek to Freak test. Amazing body transformation in a month. 3- 1 Hour workouts a week. Most folks can't handle lift to failure or do not do it right. Do it right and it works. I would have had even better results if I had bought more weights to put on the barbell.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpbody44 View Post
I may take less time than that. I did Tim Ferris's Geek to Freak test. Amazing body transformation in a month. 3- 1 Hour workouts a week. Most folks can't handle lift to failure or do not do it right. Do it right and it works. I would have had even better results if I had bought more weights to put on the barbell.
I've been thinking about doing that workout actually, and pulled his book off the shelf a few weeks ago to reread that section. I had fantastic results with the slow carb diet actually, so maybe I'll give it a go and report back..
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Diggler
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
That's just defeatist talk right there. Losing weight is not rocket science, and doesn't require hours in the gym every day. If you do it properly, all it takes is 30-45 minutes a day, maybe 3-5 times a week. All the information on how to do so is openly available, you just have to choose to do it. Being in shape isn't something for lucky rich people who don't have to work. It's a choice. If you're out of shape it's because you choose not to put forth the effort. Simple as that.
Wrong...I've had personal trainers, dietitians, and do it with my family...lim 5'10 and been fighting to stay at 230 for years,and I'm 43 now. The only way i can get to 205 and stay there is to eat under 1,500 calories a day, zero cheat days, an work out for 45 minutes every single day...BS....I live it....and it's not a choice to eat a slice a pizza once a month, it's life.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Zacharias
Gotta say I agree with Big Red. Most people think obesity-related issues are due to lifestyle choices. They can be, but just as often, it's genetic predisposition. Sure, a lot of people with the genetic tendency can work harder and stay thinner, but it's a never-ending fight, with various degrees of success. And some people have zero success, no matter what. Their body is programmed to accumulate fat, and that's what it does.

Sure, there is an equilibrium weight which you can affect by dietary and exercise modifications, but there is also a built-in resistance to change for this equilibrium level. The more of this resistance you have, the harder it is to change the equilibrium, and to keep it at the changed level.

I am hopeful gene therapy and other medical interventions can help these people. If not today, sometime in the near future.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Ryan Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Sure, there is an equilibrium weight which you can affect by dietary and exercise modifications, but there is also a built-in resistance to change for this equilibrium level. The more of this resistance you have, the harder it is to change the equilibrium, and to keep it at the changed level.

I am hopeful gene therapy and other medical interventions can help these people. If not today, sometime in the near future.
There have been recent publications on this how the body actually releases weight gain hormones even in the obese when they lose some weight - as if the body thinks it is starving and reacting to anorexia.

Almost analogous to an autoimmune condition like chronic hives/angioedema, where the body's histamine is released when no allergen is even present, causing persistent swelling and inflammation, all day, every day.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big red View Post
Wrong...I've had personal trainers, dietitians, and do it with my family...lim 5'10 and been fighting to stay at 230 for years,and I'm 43 now. The only way i can get to 205 and stay there is to eat under 1,500 calories a day, zero cheat days, an work out for 45 minutes every single day...BS....I live it....and it's not a choice to eat a slice a pizza once a month, it's life.
Have you had any blood work done? My wife was having problems losing weight until she discovered she had a vitamin D deficiency.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Brake View Post
Have you had any blood work done? My wife was having problems losing weight until she discovered she had a vitamin D deficiency.
Yes, I do blood work every 6 months, and talk to my dr every 4 months when I visit. He doesn't believe me either, we jog every day, and I fight to eat under 2,000 calories a day,and eat every 2.5hrs....here is what I eat generally.

7am warm water with a squeeze of lemon - everyday
8am - oatmeal 5 days a week - eggs the other two days generally.
10:30 - either apple,orange ,or yogurt
12:30 - pita pit, or protein shake of shorts, or fish with brown rice
3pm - hand full of nuts /seeds , very every day ( almonds, pistachios , walnuts )
4:30 - usually some carrots, celery , or cucumber
6:30 - dinner, fish, small steak, or chicken, always with veggies, like broccoli , or asparagus
8:30 - homemade popcorn sometimes, olive oil, with a little cheese...never butter.

And of course, 5-7 bottles of water or green tea every day.

My sister in law said I should find out my blood type and eat foods for my blood type ...and avoid foods tat are not for my blood type..... Think I will look into this.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

I think he'd look better somewhere between the first and second picture. First one is gross. Second is a little too heavy.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jason
He was on The Today Show this morning.

Back to his old self. He said the change mentally and emotionally was a big change that took time to realize what was going on. Went from a 34 to a 46" waist.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Ryan Alexander
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/drew...t-fit-16489980
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasF355F1 View Post
He was on The Today Show this morning.

Back to his old self. He said the change mentally and emotionally was a big change that took time to realize what was going on. Went from a 34 to a 46" waist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalex View Post
Interesting; thanks for the link.

As someone whose weight has yo-yo'd quite a bit as an adult I can confirm the mental/emotional change.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

My Garage
Yawn .... Noticed he didn't pull up his shirt.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
You have to burn more than you take in everyday. Doesn't matter how you burn it but you must keep the ratio of burn more. Look at any wide receiver, you think this guys are starving? No way, and yet they are the strongest, fastest people on the planet. Want to eat a lot? Burn more, get strong, get ripped, F**k your brains out.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vosburgh View Post
You have to burn more than you take in everyday. Doesn't matter how you burn it but you must keep the ratio of burn more. Look at any wide receiver, you think this guys are starving? No way, and yet they are the strongest, fastest people on the planet. Want to eat a lot? Burn more, get strong, get ripped, F**k your brains out.
I know George, just feel like that hamster on that tread mill to nowhere
Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Yawn .... Noticed he didn't pull up his shirt.
He did on nightline, he's got his six pack back and even weighs three pounds less than when he started.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Brake View Post
He did on nightline, he's got his six pack back and even weighs three pounds less than when he started.
Bastige......
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Sal
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/health...html?hpt=hp_c1

Here's another article with his 3 pics; before, during and after.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Stephen
I ordered his book on Kindle (release on Tuesday).

Anyhow, this has got me thinking about my own situation. I wouldn't consider myself obese but I'm definitely less-than-optimal and I feel fat and ineffective. One thing that caught struck me in his interviews was his description of the psychological differences. When I'm more in shape I notice a big difference in confidence, forward ambition, and general attitude on life.

While I'm not in terrible shape right now, I feel like I've just been lucky. I have TERRIBLE eating habits. I eat too much, the wrong things, and I suspect, for somewhat emotional reasons. Sometimes I order food I'm not sure I'm even hungry for...I'm just afraid of not having enough and being hungry later. Immediately after getting the food I feel like I made a mistake. But because it's there I eat it anyway. Additionally, I seem to have an oral fixation. I love things like chips and salsa. I end up like an automaton -- mindlessly stuffing chips in my mouth.

I'm a single guy and it always seems like such a waste to cook for one. Also, eating out is very much a social activity for me. Subsequently, I eat out pretty much all the time. California has a wide-range of eat-out options and I rarely eat "burger joint" fast food. But it's still tough to eat well (and proper amounts). It doesn't help that I really don't like vegetables and I'm somewhat of a carnivore (I often have meat-specific hunger).

I'm not the kind of guy to give up so I'm looking to keep trying and changing what I'm doing to see what will help me change my habits. My latest idea is to write down a list of eating guidelines to remember when I go out. So I can consciously pull it out, read it, and make deliberate eating decisions. I'm thinking I'll put down things like:

- It's okay to get the onion rings, but only eat two. You don't need any more to enjoy them.
- Order small; if you're really hungry later you can get something else.
- YOU DON'T REALLY WANT DESSERT. If you still want it in 10 minutes, you can get it.
- Leaving food on your plate is OKAY! Ask yourself if you're really hungry or just eating it because it's there.
- If something only comes in a large portion (like that awesome BBQ chicken pizza at Lazy Dog's!) mentally divide it in half and take the rest home.
- Chinese restaurants: DON'T EAT THE FRIED RICE!
- Remember how good it felt to be super in-shape? This is how you get there.
- Backpacking trips are always more fun when you're fit.
- Fit is good for business.

Just an idea. I'm open to any help any of you guys have. Right now I'm at 195lbs (5'8") and I'm hoping to eventually be at 165lbs. I'm naturally pretty muscled so anything less would look sickly. I'm NOT after the bodybuilder look of the Fit2Fat2Fit guy -- more just want to be "athletic."
Old 06-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Lukas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysteve View Post

- It's okay to get the onion rings, but only eat two. You don't need any more to enjoy them.
- Order small; if you're really hungry later you can get something else.
- YOU DON'T REALLY WANT DESSERT. If you still want it in 10 minutes, you can get it.
- Leaving food on your plate is OKAY! Ask yourself if you're really hungry or just eating it because it's there.
- If something only comes in a large portion (like that awesome BBQ chicken pizza at Lazy Dog's!) mentally divide it in half and take the rest home.
- Chinese restaurants: DON'T EAT THE FRIED RICE!
- Remember how good it felt to be super in-shape? This is how you get there.
- Backpacking trips are always more fun when you're fit.
- Fit is good for
I think that's a great start. You can still enjoy all the foods you like, just as long as you don't overeat and you can control your portions. Remember that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. You can still eat out a lot, just skip the appetizer and or make it a habit of not eating 25% of what is being served. Do that and you will lose weight - best of luck to you!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Just got back from Drew's book signing. He's a really cool guy. Can't wait to read the book.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339725021.936950.jpg