Fitness Goals for 2013? | FerrariChat

Fitness Goals for 2013?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 575Mike, Dec 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What are your fitness goals for 2013? Lose fat? Gain muscle? Enter a bodybuilding contest? Run a 10K? Etc.

I am going to go from 11% to 7% body fat by May 1 while adding 10 pounds of muscle. To get there, I'm following the leangains.com program, but I'm going to add 3/week aerobics in the morning on non lifting days.

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    What is your current ht/wt?
    What type sups are you taking?
    Ed

3. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ed, I'm a little over 6 feet and my last weigh in (early November) was about 197. I take Whey Protein, Casein Protein (before bed), Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Multi Vitamin, Fish Oil, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Garlic, Green Tea Extract, Super Cissus, and I've been thinking of taking creatine.

I'm 51, btw.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    6', 197, 11% bf.
    Already muscly. Congrats.
    At age 51, doubtful you can put on 10 lbs muscle in 6 months. Especially when trying to loose wt.
    You will need to add pharmaceutical rx to do that.
    Ed

5. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    There was an interesting article in MB in the late 70's written (supposedly) by M Mentzer where he systematically went thru the process of protein assimilation by the body and calculated that the best the body could do (without chemical assistance) was about 7 lbs of pure muscle per year under the best conditions. It all made sense nutritionally and mathematically and was one of the few articles that was ever worth remembering.

When you consider folks like Arnold were juicing and living optimally for muscle gain and LOST weight from 72 to 75 and yet was the best ever at that game then it should make most others have a bit more realistic views. Large, quick gains are usually BULK (mostly fat with some muscle) or induced by massive doses of bad stuff.

Slow and steady wins the race and at the age of 51 I would suggest steering clear of drugs like creatine that can mess with very important internal organs. Gains can still be made but I would if I were you and am myself looking to preserve what I have and the ability to continue doing it w/o injury by removing certain riskier exercises that I used in younger days.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'll post.

I'm 42, and have been hovering around 200 for a couple of years. I'm 6' 0".

I want to be 180 and get off Lisinopril. On it, BP is 120/80.

I'm fairly active, exercise on a stationary bike for regular cardio, and play squash and tennis 3 or 4 times a week.

Most of my weight loss is going to be from more disciplined eating, I think.

I also want to find some way to quantify my flexibility. I would like to do more yoga, or other stretching, and set some flexibility goal.

Matt

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I dropped almost 40 pounds since Father's Day, the old fashioned way - diet and exercise.

I am shooting for another 20 pounds this year.

As for diet - I have started cutting out a significant amount of animal proteins and eating more raw foods. Also got a juicer for Christmas, so will stop spending all of my allowance at the juice bar down the street.

As for exercise - I have been doing 2 "boot camp" style workouts a week with a trainer, running and/or biking as well (3-5 workouts a week).

I am doing the Tough Mudder in Miami in March. I am using that to stay on track for the weightloss/fitness goals. Once I get past that, I will reset goals.

In June I was almost 240. Even with holiday splurging I am at 197. Lost 6 inches from my waist. I haven't had my body fat measured for some time, but it was mid 30's when I started, probably low 20's now???

Still got a way to go!

8. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 575Mike, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Vinny. My daughter is at Notre Dame and interns for the Brian Kelly Foundation. I have had lengthy conversations with ND's football trainer, Paul Longo, and I've received some great tips on nutrition and exercise. He would tell you that their players have put on more than 7 lbs of muscle in 12 months and they are not juicing. Of course these are 18/19/20 year old kids.

But also, take a look at some of the stuff Timothy Ferris has written on the subject of muscle gain and fat loss. I tried, for example, the "almond" therapy for testosterone boost and it worked for me. My sex drive went through the roof too!

I've found that when I hit legs hard -- squats, deadlift, RDL -- I get good gains everywhere, i.e. arms.

Fantasitc! Inspiring!

I try to mix things up with kickboxing, running, wall balls, burpees, stair climber and running stairs when it's nice outside. :)

And of course lifting. My lifting consists of core exercises with free weights and kettle balls, along with bands. I don't lift heavy like I used to as I'm prone to injury or tendonitis. And I stretch like crazy, every day.

I did legs this morning. See attached. :)

My body fat was measured this morning. It's up over 12%. Nutrition was lousy this month.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Posting goals is a great way to at least keep one's commitments in mind, so here goes:

60 years old, 6-0 and currently about 225 pounds. 46 inch chest, 36 inch waist, former powerlifter in years long past. I'm almost recovered from the second of two hip replacement surgeries (to address dysplasia, so my wife reminds me I'm lucky not to be a German Shepard...). Post-op ortho surgery requires eating similar to that of pregnancy, lots of protein and no dieting to help with bone growth. I'm back to the gym 4-5 days a week, usually an hour on the elliptical at levels 13-14, and then 25-30 mins on free weights or machines. I still cannot to lower body to any significant weight, or load the upper body excessively.

In spite of that, I've lost most of my surgery weight gain, and my goal is 34 inch waist and below 200 pounds by summer. I'm not dieting, but have changed my eating regimen. I have a friend on the fast-five regimen, very similar to leangains in re fasting for much of the day. My son, who is a professional strength athlete and Strongman, eats more aligned to a Paleo diet.

For me, though, what works quite well is closer to what has recently been labeled a "wheat-belly" diet. I eat almost no grain carbs, nor any white rice or white potatoes (keeps the insulin response to those foods down; I still eat yams and some brown rice). My AM meal is plain yogurt with fruit (berries or apples) and cinnamon, mid-morning one oz of 75-90% chocolate, and snack on raw almonds. A couple cups of coffee for caffeine that helps get me to the gym. Midday meal is primarily protein and veg (salad or hot veg) and evening meal is lighter proteins and a veg side. The only dairy is in cheese, and my only grains are generally in liquid form. I'm not strict, and will still occasionally eat whole grains, but I'm less hungry, sleep better and have more energy. I also spend less on food than with the old ways. In general, weight loss is about 70% diet and 30% exercise, so this part of things has really tightened up the waist and helped minimize fat in the chest, belly and waist. The metabolic response really falls off a cliff after 55 or so (I know you're looking forward to that) and I monitor my blood levels and T-levels twice yearly to ensure things are where they should be.

Re exercise, I do a push-pull routine (chest-lats one day, shoulders-vertical lats the next) two days in a row, with one day rest before repeating. After February, I'll add in a legs day, probably light squats, inverted press and some range of motion work. I do arms once a week, or split bicep and tricep work and do them at the end of one of the other workouts.

For supplements, multi-vitamin, baby aspirin, a low dose NSAID for arthritis in the hands, milled flax dissolved into water or fish oil daily for Omega 3's and psyllium in capsule form for added fiber. Lots of water, crystal light for a drink with taste, and that's it. I'm pretty familiar with the strength world, and am aware that "vitamin S" is one of the primary means folks use for significant muscle gain, no mater what they might hawk in one of the magazines. It is hard to stick with things after the initial push to add muscle or lose fat, but once in a routine, it's much easier for folks to stick with it (I know, we've never heard this stuff before).

Lots of old guys are looking into HGH, but there are emerging studies that indicate tumor growth and other things are possible (anything you put into your body creates a response, some good, some not). After all is said and done, limiting junk food, eliminating processed sugars, eating high fiber, clean protein and natural complex carbs is almost always the best route, along with sleep (without a drug) and exercise.

It is rewarding when someone new to the gym will ask my age; they can't figure out if I'm an old-looking young guy or a young-looking old guy...one more thing, a dram of Scotch twice weekly goes a long way to making the rest of the week more cheerful...

Best Regards, Bob H

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    What is "almond" therapy? Nuts are heavy in fats.
    Ed

11. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'll post information in the next day or two.

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Shred the slopes, burn up the tracks, wear out the MILFs :)

13. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    OK, I'll play!

6'2" 234lbs Goal is 210lbs and I'll be eating clean and uping cardio dramatically!
    Stay tuned for updates!

14. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Almonds (raw) are very nutrient dense, and a significant source of monounsaturated fats, along with protein and fiber. These things all help create a feeling of satiety, which helps limit snacking to ease hunger pains. In my area, Trader Joes has snack-size packets with 200 calorie portions, excellent for 30-45 mins prior to workout, or as a part of an after-workout snack. There is anecdotal evidence they have a thermogenic effect during digestion, and studies that indicate it is more effective than complex carbs to enhance fat loss.

They do contain a lot of arginine, which is used as apart of an amino stack for muscle growth, and in glutamic acid, which is an amino related to neurotransmitter functions in the brain (none of this stuff is magic, but almonds and their properties are studied pretty intensively)

There are some who say that roasting them takes out some of the desired fats (or adds other fats often used in roasting); others say raw or roasted, they have the same benefit. I'm interested to hear how almonds are used in the previous post re recovery or muscle gain, etc. Bob H

15. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    I have been around the block a few times and "heard" a lot. ND is a catholic univ. but I would be amazed that the football roster is made up of angels. Roids, hgh, creatine, insulin, and all kinds of other ****e are epidemic amongst today's Pro's, gym hacks, College, and High School "athletes". The ones making progress are using. Except for a few baby hueys the users in HS are the ones that get recruited to the top colleges and the ones that use in college and perform at the combine get fat NFL contracts and bonus'es. Just go to some of the online muscle forums. It's unreal what is being taken and how widespread it is. That being said the great majority of college and pro football players don't have much muscle, neither in quantity or quality. Don't quote fat percentages or anything else the mirror tells the tale (and performance).

Outside of a few top stars these guys would get laughed off a bodybuilding stage, my point being that BULK is way different from mature defined muscle that comes from years of hard work and proper form.

As to Ferris, never heard of him, googled him and from what I see he might be selling something but it hasn't worked for him. You mentioned 3 names in 2 paragraphs. I think you want to find a quick fix from some GURU, it doesn't exist. How do I know? When it comes to building strength and muscle w/o drugs no one has more credibility on the subject than I do. If my life had been different you'd be quoting me on here, lol. I'll drop some names I have talked to and been instructed by over 30 years ago Boyer Coe, Tom Platz, and Danny Padilla and others. Worked out with Dr. Terry Todd and knew Joe Gold. They had no secret answers (other than the obvious) but they weren't really selling some snake oil. I'll stick with what I said before about Mentzer's article.

16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I'm cardio fit, I took up running in 2009 and ran a marathon that year, one in each of '10 and '11, then ran 3 marathons this year. I'm 53 now, 5'10", weighed 215 at the start of '09, and am around 200 now - proof that exercise alone won't lose significant weight! I've been down to 190, but have been stuck in the 190 - 200 range for 3 years.

Goals this year - 2 marathons, likely one in May and one in October. Drop to 170 lbs. I also did a few long bike rides last year, so this year I'll try to fit in one or two Gran Fondo rides in the 120 - 140 km range.

The marathons and bike rides will be relatively easy to train for and do at this point, it's dropping 30 lbs that will be tough!

17. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Vinny, I've never been under the delusion that a "quick fix" exists so I'm not sure how I "want to find" that which I deny exists. So right off the bat we need to get that straight. I've lifted weights, off and on, since high school, and even when I started to get out of shape about the time I reached 40, I would still do push ups, dumb bells, etc. But I got fat!

It could be that my goal is unrealistic. Again, I'll consider advice/information which credible people have to offer, including you. I'm always learning. Thus, I would love to talk with you or correspond with you. Your background is fascinating!

By the way, you may want to read Ferris' book as opposed to forming a knee jerk conclusion based on a google search. Ironically, Ferriss cites the work of non other than Mike Mentzer! In fact, Ferriss endorses and has followed Mentzer's "Occam's Protocol."

Finally, here is a direct quote from "Heavy Duty Nutrition" written by the now deceased Mike Mentzer...

"How much can the average bodybuilder expect to gain in one year of regular, intense training? In their very first year of training, some will gain as much as 20 or 30 pounds, especially if they are underweight to begin with. Once such an individual's bodyweight stabilizes closer to a more normal standard tor his height and age, growth will then slow down considerably despite heavy training.

For the individual of normal bodyweight who has been training a year, the addition of 10 pounds of lean muscle tissue is possible, but a considerable achievement nonetheless. And it's an achievement that's only possible if one is willing to train as hard as is required and eat properly. Of course, just about anyone can gain 10 pounds of bodyweight if that weight is fat or a combination of fat and muscle."

Thanks!

18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    They'd no longer be MILF's if you wear 'em out. ;):p

Main goal is to be consistent at the gym. Second would be to cut down my alcohol intake.

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Injury avoidance is paramount otherwise all gains will be lost. Therefore, I've de ded to go hi reps with lighter wt.
    Ed

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I'm 47, 190lbs @ 5'11. I've slowly fallen out of shape since getting married 8 years ago. I'm soft and have a gut and as long as I wear my belt under my gut, I'm still a 34" waist.

It's time I get more consistent with exercise and better eating. I was doing well back in Nov by going to the gym 3 days per week but thanksgiving hit and I haven't been back.

My goal: 180lbs - strengthen my chest and arms, and be a true 34" waist, again.

Back to the gym 3 days per week (cardio/ light weight reps), cut out the sweets (too many around the kitchen) reduce my alcohol in take, daily multi vitamin, and figure what the hell I'm eating that's giving me so much gas, belly aches, heat burn and bloating. I hate this crampy feeling I've been having.

I start next Monday.

21. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Valenzo, consider cycle to eliminate the grains, glutens and wheat products from your regimen (and milk products if you are sensitive to them). Most of the modern grain products (including pastas) have supplements and additives, and are far from the "whole grain" of old. They are a primary cause of bloating and that puffiness you may feel. Go to protein, fiber and water (plus coffee, supplements, and more of the natural fruits a vegetables) and you should see some substantial benefits. It is tough in a modern diet to give up the crunchy things, but well worth it. Just wean away from breads, potatoes and rice, as well as simple carbs (processed sugars in all forms, especially the fructose) and you'll be well on your way. Once it is a habit to eat clean, the daily grind isn't too difficult, and your hunger should subside also. Bob H

22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ good advice above. All i would add is that you can literally stuff yourself full with proteins such as meat, chicken, fish and salad and still get lean. You will never be hungry. It not a diet to reduce intake or calories, its just changing what you eat. Its the only way to loose wt and keep it off.
    Ed

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just started running again. Got to get my lungs & heart in shape for ski season.

25 min today, Need to take it up to 45 min By Jan 20th

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    First, i need to fix my knee. I have had ITBS for a month and a half and therapy isnt really helping after 6 sessions. I still feel some pain.
    So instead of running, im swimming. I want to drop 30 pounds before summer.
    Would love to be able to swim 4 times a week, 30-40mns each.

Hopefully, i can get back to running by february.

25. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    #25 Vinny Bourne, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

There is no conflict between the 2. The key phrase in the material you posted being "especially if they are underweight to begin with". If an underweight un-trained kid starts exercising and eating the crazy amount of food that accompanied this and every other bodybuilding routine out there, he may gain a LOT OF WEIGHT, but at best 7-10 lbs of muscle, the rest "bulk".

The reason I said that the article was the only 1 worth remembering from a decade of muscle magazine stories was not only the science and undeniable math that proved the theory it was also the fact that it was 180 degrees opposite of everything else published by back then and since. MB (Muscle Builder before being renamed Muscle & Fitness) had a purpose, to promote the sale of supplements and weights. What I took from reading it -- if you want to look like these guys shove huge amounts of protein down your throat and wala you'll be big and strong. The more you do the better -- THEN here comes Mike Mentzer with science and facts saying the best you can possibly achieve NATURALLY is 7 lbs of muscle in a perfect year. It was amazing it got published. 1 of many things that created a split between weider and mentzer.

There are a million ways to train -- different exercises, different equipment, differing number of days per week, high reps, low reps ................ but all that does it break down muscle tissue, it's optimal living like I mentioned before that heals and builds new muscle. Optimal living ----- perfect nutrition, great restful sleep, no negative experiences during the day. Stress kills your ability to achieve that. Examples - bad traffic, lousy relationship, financial strains, family troubles..... they all release negative crap into your bloodstream that will stifle healing and building of muscle.

You don't look like an undernourished, untrained kid Mike. :) So if you are not happy with 7lbs of muscle (more like 5 or less now that your testosterone production is middle aged) while chanting "serenity now" you can always listen to this tiny yet massively understated bit of truth from Arnold. (legal disclaimer - don't)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX1yOd7P6M[/ame]