Cycling & Mountain Biking | FerrariChat

Cycling & Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by afb86, Aug 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Anyone into cycling or mountain biking? Gym workouts can get boring and running on a treadmill can make you feel like a hamster on a wheel. I recommend cycling as a great alternative to staying active & health improvements. Post your bikes or pictures of trips and were you ride if your into cycling of any sorts.

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I have 4 regular rides. A Seven Odonata that I ride on the hills around my house for MTB training purposes. At my weekday house I have a Titus Switchblade. At my weekend house I have a Pivot Mach 5 and a Pivot 429. My MTB rides are usually in central Oregon, Bend and Sisters area. I ride almost every chance I get (it wins over running/trail running, but has to fit in between my weight workouts).

I'm thinking about getting a fat tire "snow bike" for the winters.

3. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Lucky you! I live in Chicago, all I can ride is forest preserves and we have a new Mountain Bike park called Andres Park which is growing and has wooden obstacles and drop offs. We also have Rays Indoor Mountain Bike park in Wisconsin I go to. I do some road biking also, we have a lot of road cycling clubs in the area. I recently got a Surly Moonlander myself, fantastic bike and fun to ride. I own a gym and also have a small bike shop included, if your interested in getting a Fat Bike I can get you a brand new Surly Moonlander any size for hundreds below market cost!

4. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I ride, mainly at palos. It's the best we have.

5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #5 climb, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anthem.x.advanced.29er.1/11658/56552/

I ride my Giant Anthem 29er from my house and down the beach a mile or so to a state park that has 8 miles of cross country trails. It takes me about 2 hours to go back and forth including a 10 minute or so dip in the ocean on the way back. I love it. No bike rack or car ride just hop on and go. So hot this time of year and sometimes it's like a sauna under the tree canopy covering the trails but that just makes the ocean feel that much better! Never could stand gyms. I do it everyday that I'm home (8 months of the year).

6. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    I have to check those trails out still! Was at Andres Park this morning, it is developing nicely, not bad for Illinois.

7. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    That's a nice ride and great routine! Wish I lived by the ocean

8. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I've never been out there, I live in the city, is it good? what do they have?

9. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    They have a pump track, some good roller jumps, log obstacles, and wooden drop offs. If you checkout there facebook page Andres Bike Park there is more info and pictures to get a better idea. All the trails run downhill.

https://www.facebook.com/AndresBikePark

10. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    A few weeks back, daughter finished the Leadville Trail 100 MTB race in Colorado. She is nuts.....You can look it up on "youtube" or Google it...

Described as "One hundred miles across the high-altitude, extreme terrain of the Colorado Rockies. Celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2013, this event was created for only the most determined athletes. Starting at 10,152 feet and climbing to 12,424 feet, you’ll be challenged to catch your breath — while the views try to take it away"

11. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    I just saw the 2012 race on YouTube, simply amazing! That had to be an incredible experience!

12. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    I ride a Fuji team pro 3 times a week on top of the Ms river levee. For fitness mainly but enjoy cycling.

13. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I have a Trek Ion CX that I ride on the levees around the Everglades.

I also have a Jamis MTB - haven't been on it since I got the CX.

14. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #14 PureEuroM3, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I prefer mountain biking but have not got my bike up to spec yet for the season. Needs plenty of work and this summer didn't give me the time to do hit the bike (MTB or Road) as often as I would have liked. Poor thing is sitting in the shed all dusty and broken.

Road bike is a Jamis Ventura that does the job for now. Snapped this one on a 25 mile ride, such a beautiful day for one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

have you seen CAMBr - Chicago Area Mountain Bikers ?

it's a great resource for local Chicago people.

16. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am also near chicago in the west burbs, luckily I have routes to ride training for Ironman races that allow me to ride 50-100 miles in almost no traffic at all!! If you guys want to see something nuts for training, this is a link to my cousin Dons website, hes a professional climber who has started to organize "althatalons" high altitude racing and training. The video is him going 142 miles from Death Valley, cycling to Mt. Whitney and running up the mountain in 19 hours 41 min. Hes a freak of fitness. Hope you enjoy! For those in the city, check out Get a Grip cycles, they have rides out of the shop a few times a week that apparently avoid some traffic as well.

New Video: My idea of a hard training day... | Don BowieDon Bowie

17. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Yea, I am on there forum. Very good organization and great group of people that communicate and maintain a lot of the trails in Illinois.

18. afb86

afb86 Karting

Jul 20, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Amazing, major credit to Don!

19. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #19 PureEuroM3, Sep 13, 2013
    Took a ride on some beautiful country rodes in the area just last weekend or so. It was a shorter ride but at a quicker than usual pace.

20. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    #20 coledoggy, Sep 13, 2013
  21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #21 sherpa23, Sep 29, 2013
    Here are some random pics of me on this computer from various races.

22. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Plenty of MTB trails as well as paved trails in the SLC UT area to ride my Giant Trance X 29er on. The Best part of the paved trails is in the winter they will plow them so you can still ride on them even though the temps are in the low 20-30's.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #23 4th_gear, Oct 8, 2013
    One of my new bikes, still testing setup using my training wheels but it's an incredible machine even with the modest wheels. It normally rides on Bullet Ultra 50s.

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #24 4th_gear, Dec 1, 2013
    I needed to carry my training over the Winter but running and Nordic Skiing don't agree with an old injury so I bought a Scott Addict CX cyclocross bike, made a few mods and upgrades to see if I can ride it through the Winter. CX bikes are designed to take Winter abuse. :)

I've been riding this bike in temperatures down to -5°C (23°F) with moderate wind and it's been no problems at all as city road surfaces were clear. I imagine it should be bearable down to -10°C (14°F) so long as it's calm.

The yellow tires are Veloflex Corsa open tubulars and they are really sweet with a mixed pattern tread that does an excellent job even on wet cold asphalt. They have a very light and easy-to-go feel to them, very low rolling resistance. Have to avoid snow and ice though. Crud fenders weigh only 180 gms and work really well, after I fashioned an attachment for the front fender.

It's very nice to ride. The only drawbacks are the complicated clothing and overshoes that take more time to put on as well as the dirt that sticks when it's wet.

Does anyone else ride a Winter bike here?

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yes.