Robotic Heart Surgery | FerrariChat

Robotic Heart Surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Carnut, Nov 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I hope that what I am about to say may help others who were in the same situation I was. After three months of going through every test possible it was determined the only way I had a chance to live was bypass surgery. I was almost completely blocked in fact my body grew an artery to feed my heart. The woman I have involved with is in the medical field and she insisted I go see Dr. Francis Sutter at Lankenau hospital. not everyone is a candidate for robotic surgery but it turns out I was. I went in for surgery on November 5th. I was walking on November 6th and I was back home on November 8th. I was the 1000th patient to receive this surgery and yesterday I was interviewed by the local ABD news station. I have two small incisions and I have already stopped taking the pain meds. everyone tells me I look 100 times better than I did before the surgery. All I can say is that if you or anyone you know needs this type of surgery I would tell you to look into this.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow that's awesome. I had a quad bi pass about 5 years ago and I can't tell you how difficult that was. Now, I feel like I'm 23 again but it's a very tough operation.

Technology is marvelous! I'm so happy this worked out for you!!!!

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A second chance is a wonderful gift.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thank you, as the woman I'm involved with said to me before I went into surgery "you'll make it you have a lot of things you still need to do". I'm glad she was right!

5. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    that's fantastic ...

i underwent an open chest triple bypass 6 1/2 years ago, thus joining the zipper club ...

3 months later a procedure such as yours was successfully performed at the Asian Heart Institute on a 55 year old woman ...

wish i could have had it too instead of the open chest ...

:eek:

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    They finally ran the story on the local ABC station yesterday. My 15 minute interview was cut to one sentence. Lankenau Hospital it seems is the first hospital to do 1000 of these procedures so the hospital is making a big deal out of it. Press releases, commercials etc. I said I'd help after all they did save my life.

7. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I'm happy to hear of your successful outcome -- but very important to watch out for the future.

Check out Bill Clinton's Dr.'s Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn & Dr. Dean Ornish

Dr. Esselstyn is an ex- Olympic rower / surgeon @ Cleveland Clinic.

I heard an interview with Bill Clinton mentioning him -- well worth reading about...

ABOUT DR. ESSELSTYN.

If I recall correctly -- in the interview he speaks of cultures where heart disease does not exist and sees it largely as a function of the western diet that we consume. The link below is well worth watching for anyone who has heart disease in their family -- It could well save your life.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYTf0z_zVs0[/ame]

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with him in any way

8. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Glad to hear of each of your successes and that you are doing well.

9. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011

I just watched the 1st 30 minutes and @ 30:17 he shows a slide where he lists foods that are off his regimen ---- unacceptable and extreme. No oils, fish, meat, fowl, and dairy. If you just want to exist as a bag of bones like the doc then I guess that may be 1 way to do it. You can be very healthy and still look like a winner with a balanced approach.

10. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    #10 crazy canuck, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    I'd say the docs in good shape for being 80 something ?

With all due respect - if you think what he's saying is drastic try having your chest sawed open for open heart surgery like some people I know. That's far more extreme in my opinion

Here's his son -
    10 Questions: Rip Esselstyn | Dallas Observer

He's a firefighter and a professional triathlete - and in pretty good shape following the same routine as his pop.

I'm not as strict as what he advocates but I can't say that he's wrong... He's the only guy that's clinically reversed heart disease through diet alone. Period.

Politics aside - President clinton is a Rhodes scholar and would have figured out pretty quick if this guy was full of it. The studies do point it out - he talks about the historical studies during the world wars and examples of cultures where heart disease doesn't exist- until they migrate to our diets.

I applaud what he's saying even though I'm not doing it. But I'm working to move more in his direction - Because I choose not to do it doesn't mean it's not valid.

Ultimately it comes down to how far we all want to go for our health.. No pain no gain.

11. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011

Good shape? (for 80) Alive, I guess. Is the only choice, eating for and looking like a beanpole or having your chest sawed open?

I wish all well who are struggling with disease, but I make most of my comments assuming a certain proficiency. His diet is no different from Freelee the banana girl from what I can see and she is seen as a kook by most people. Such a diet will also not sustain much muscle.

I just erased some of my response, as I do not know if you crazy canuck, are a heart patient, but it is clear carnut is. So I do not wish to irritate anyone with a condition. Any further discussion would be counter-productive.

12. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    #12 crazy canuck, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    We're all entitled to our own opinions but were not all entitled to our own facts.

Although I'm not vegan - it's not factual to say that you can't sustain muscle mass being plant based.

Check out Frank medrano in this video - now that's strength

Mobile Site Preview

There are plant based body builders and triathletes - google "vegan bodybuilding"

Anyway - the purpose of my posting here is not to argue with anyone - it's to share what I've learned from others who I know have reversed their heart disease. Factually - no drugs or snake oil. Just by watching that the fuel that goes into our bodies is as clean as what we would want in our Ferraris

Another guy I know who just had a coronary scan done after refusing a stent ( not a decision I would recommend or would have had the balls to make), had regressed his arterial plaque over the course of 2 years of clean plant based eating. He has cut is plaques down to less than 50% of what they were.

This guy was about as meat and potatoes and a self confessed "anti vegan "as you can get - but he's now in the best shape of his life. No statins needed to lower what was crazy high cholesterol that his dr had told him was genetic. It just fell into normal ranges with diet corrections. Same with his cRP levels and other inflammatory indicators like homocysteine. All knocked back in line with diet.

I've seen the results and his medical report -- it works. He put it to me like this - he said "if I was a diabetic I'd have to watch my sugar - I have atheroscelerosis - I have to watch other aspects of my diet the same way"

But I don't want to preach to you or anyone else - just sharing what I've learned. I have to confess I don't do it all myself either - but I'm moving towards that direction having seen the benefits in others.

Anyways - back to our regular programming.

13. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    A triathlete preaching about heart health?

Marathons damage the hearts of less fit runners for up to three months, MRI data suggest -- ScienceDaily
    Marathons damage the hearts of less fit runners for up to three months, MRI data suggest
    Date:
    October 25, 2010
    Source:
    Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada

Running a marathon hard on heart, especially in less prepared runners -- ScienceDaily

FACT: Previous reports have established that a significant percentage of sports competitors show signs of heart muscle injury and cardiac abnormalities after prolonged exercise.

FACT:Investigators noted that the race induced a decrease in left and right ventricular function in half of the amateur distance runners. When a lot of the heart was affected, the heart also showed swelling and reduced blood flow

WISFUL HOPE: The investigators do not believe these temporary changes are a cause for concern.

FACT: that type of overtraining will put you in a catabolic state, not good

So I place no faith in these guys or freelee the banana girl :)

14. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    for parlor tricks I would rather watch Bella

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFCNCxnDgc]Bella Falconi getting her calisthenics on - YouTube[/ame]

15. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    The studies you cite prove what we can all agree on -- overtraining is bad - especially for unfit people.

and aesthetically speaking - I think we can probably agree that Bella is better to look at than Frank Medrano.