New Home Gym - New Year's resolutions.. | FerrariChat

New Home Gym - New Year's resolutions..

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SCFerrari, Dec 31, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #1 SCFerrari, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My wife and I decided to repurpose a unused bedroom into a home gym... and starting to look at equipment to buy this week.. Any advise on brands to buy or stay away from?

I'd like good solid quality stuff. Not so worried about price..

Thanks for any opinions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #2 SCFerrari, Dec 31, 2013
  3. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #3 SCFerrari, Dec 31, 2013
  4. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I have been reading this thread lately, just an interesting read, I don't frequent those forums much but this came up in a search when I was looking for a piece of equipement.

Cost No Object Machines and Free Weights, the Best of the Best - Page 50 - Bodybuilding.com Forums

It depends what you want to accomplish and what your restrictions are, but a bedroom is not much floorspace and would not stand up to much abuse. See the "jogging" thread and save money on those first 2 items. Some multigyms are just rickety crap.

Limiting it to one small room depending on ceiling height, a smith machine, an all-purpose bench, plates and dumbells would cover you. Or simply something like a bowflex.

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Have you considered simply joining a gym and hiring a trainer? For the cost you're going to sink into good equipment, you can buy a lot of training sessions with a professional that can design a plan specifically for your goals. My experience is that it's a lot easier to stay motivated and see real results when you have someone assisting and guiding you along the way.

Mark

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the hardest part is just doing it. buy some dumdbells and an exercise tape and just do it.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    That looks nice

I ski so I bought a SKIERS EDGE to train @ home

You can hire a trainer to go to your house

Hardest part for me is diet followed by laziness

The trainer will eradicate the lazy

If you really want results get a nutrionist/ cook at home too

8. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks everyone.. I think a trainer coming to the house might be the answer if internal motivation doesn't work by itself... I travel a bunch so schedule is always my 'excuse'..

9. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The best thing I have in my gym is my Precor elliptical EFX 5.33. I'm 6'4 250 and it's solid as a rock. I'd start with one of these. I'm not sure what the new model number is, but get the EFX with arms.

10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Trainer is a great idea. I have a road bike on a trainer and an AFX treadmill at home. Motivation for me is not a problem. I think having some things at home, belonging to a gym, and engaging a trainer would be a great start.

I use an elliptical occasionally at the gym. The pluses (easy on the joints, etc.) are well known but it is relatively easy to slack off on one (versus a treadmill, where the moving belt forces you to keep up.

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm on Visalus shakes for as long as I can stand it. Great for losing weight fast.

Doing a Ski focused workout now. Did 20 min on the Skiers Edge today + 60 min gym w focus on legs. I'm beat.

Skiing Jan 20 so got to go full throttle till then

12. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  13. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    1 piece there is the best piece made for a particular bodypart, a couple others very good. All in all an amazing collection of the real AJ Nautilus stuff. BUT the price is not cheap, shipping would be a PITA, and getting it into most people's place a nightmare. Thanks for posting.

14. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Gym equipment should always be bought used, and preferrably at estate sales.

3 month ago I bought a $4000 or so home gym, basically new, for $125. Has all the weights/gizmo's, etc. The thing must weight a 1000 lbs or more.

No body wanted to buy it, because folks didn't want to disassemble it and haul it away.

Bo

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There are plenty of places that offer second hand commercial units like this: View Products - Store | Outlet - Pacific Fitness, Inc.

For me, I have found that I need the assigned time at the gym to focus on fitness activities… I got a nice elliptical last fall and rarely use it. Same for the barbell set in the closet. But I force myself to get out of the house. If I was going to drop $15k, I would go to a nice gym (our mega-gym is only $30/ea/mo with amazing childcare area) and then a few hundred a month on a trainer.

16. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

While I wholly encourage exercise, diet is a larger part of the equation.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we just did the same, moved Mia to new room and her old bedroom making exercise room we can still put airbed in for guests. has wood floor, want to add TV, maybe some mirrors. right now just a rower, spinner for bicycles, and a few weights.

18. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    This is a good endorsement. My wife and I are considering replacing our Sole elliptical, which isn't as stable/smooth/solid as we expected based on previous success with our Sole treadmill.

I went to look at the Precor EFX 5.33 yesterday - it's a great machine but a tad bit on the pricey side. I also considered the EFX 5.25, which is similar except it is built cheaper, and in Taiwan. I dunno - might spend the extra $1,500 on the 5.33. We'll see.

Thanks.

19. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I've got equipment shipped and new flooring/ reconfiguring of the room going on now…..should have pics next week some time..

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes & for me by far the hardest part.

I'm on protein shakes now till I drop 20#

Dropped almost 6# in 5 days

I'm using Visalus shakes, they have all sorts of stuff like Cereal, vitamins, Appetite suppresors.

I'm set to give up all the goodies till I'm down to 215

21. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    Cereal is not helpful. Appetite Suppresors are a chemical soup which you should not take. Rapid weight loss is not sustainable. Not sure of the diet your on but focus on eating real food.

22. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    that cereal is junk . Here are the other ingredients

Other Ingredients: Protein Blend of (Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, and Whey Protein Concentrate), Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin (Fibersol™), High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavor, MCT Oil, Maltodextrin, Gum Acacia, Xanthan, Sodium Caseinate, Lecithin, Aminogen™, Mono & Diglycerides, DiPotassium Phosphate, Sucralose

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you just don't drop several pounds of fat in a couple days, it is water weight.

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm always retaining a lot of water so its welcome to be rid of it.

At this rate another month of hard core dieting & I'll b at my goal so I don't think a month is too bad

I have some real food in the diet too, chicken, celery, tuna, broccoli, blueberries, raspberries, water etc

25. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    True. You have to put your body in a state where it actyively burns fat for energy. Water weight always comes back witha vengeance.

I found the best way to lose weight is to simply start walking more. I started walking each morning, progressing to jogging then short full out runs. I lost. 80 pounds in 11 months. And far more important, my heart was far healthier.

Diet is important, but being active is just as important.