Vita Mix | FerrariChat

Vita Mix

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I've seen these things around forever and finally decided to order one. Are there any do's, don'ts, tips, recipe books you can recommend?

I am looking forward to having it.

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Here's one "don't" - don't let it just sit unused on your counter! Unfortunately, mine often does - I've been too busy recently to make anything with it. :(

As to recipes? You can google around for some great ones & there are plenty of videos on youtube. Haven't made a soup in it yet that wasn't just incredible.

3. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    The wife makes ice cream and hot soup in 5 min....This thing is nuts. If you ever go to costco the guy there will have some good ideas for you. Cant go wrong.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Don't try and blend Chuck Norris.

5. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I have one. love it.

You'll get out of it what you put into it...meant both ways.

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    If anyone has a truly great lobster bisque recipe done in a vita mix - I'd sure love to hear it.

Otherwise? I'll try to follow up whenever I get around to trying mine - have made lobster butter, have lobster tails in the freezer, and got some cognac, just need the time and an occasion to make & serve it up. :)

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Vitamix laughs at Chuck Norris! Chuck can't rev past Oster levels!

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Pretty sure Chuck uses a Blendtec. No personal experience, but that damn thing will "blend" anything from cell phones to broom sticks...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAuhUTzNwiY]Will it Blend? iPhone 5s and 5c - YouTube[/ame]

9. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I've got my bass at the ready!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y]Bass o Matic - YouTube[/ame]

10. ronzalfa

ronzalfa Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    SW Washington
    Full Name:
    Ron Deaver
    What!..no gatorade joke??

11. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Costco is the best place to buy it -- a lot cheaper than other places like Williams Sonoma etc.

Amazing if you use it -- I've tried both blendtec and vitamix. Like comparing a Ferrari to a Skoda. Vitamix kills that comparison.

The quality of the blending is amazing great way to get your veggies and greens.

12. ronzalfa

ronzalfa Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    SW Washington
    Full Name:
    Ron Deaver
    For the cost conscious, refurbished units can be purchased at a discounted rate directly from Vitamix. I think that is still an option?

13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    It is - and now and again you can get an extra good rate if they're sitting on too many of a particular model. Snagged mine (something like $600+ retail, $400 +/- refurb) for just over $200. Only difference is that the warranty is 7 years versus 10. Big whoop. :)

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  15. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast

Wow really only $200 ? that's a crazy deal !. I stand corrected - I thought I scored big learning about the US pricing of +/- 500 @ costco USA.

I ended up paying the canadian pricing at the Canadian costco but got some extras with it and it was $750 +/- (after taxes) with the extra jug that's like $100 or so.

Regardless of of which pricing you paid -- it's an amazing investment in your health

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I got it yesterday and made a pear and strawberry smoothie because that's what we had in the reefer. I would have thrown in some broccoli for the hell of it if we had any, just because. ;) It was very refreshing though.

I also cooked scrambled eggs, just to see how it would do. The eggs cooked fine but cleaning it was a ***** so no more of those! :)

17. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    do you know about the "auto clean " function ? You just put enough water to go a bit above the blades -- 3 drops of regular dish soap and turn it on to the regular smoothie setting.

It runs for about a minute, and cleans everything.

You just rinse it out after that and you're good to go.

Hope that helps

18. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    +1 on the auto clean. If yours didnt come with the 200+ page cook book, get it. The broccoli cheddar cheese soup is very good(I only use half a boulion cube). The pesto is amazingly easy. I find you have to add more garlic, salt, and pepper to most of the recipes.

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Well, what I did was cook scrambled eggs without any milk (since I was out) and they cooked around the base of the blade and stuck to it. I ran it with water and dish soap for a while too. I ended up having to get in there and literally scratch it off with my fingernail. Won't make that mistake again, milk/cream goes in next time. ;)

Did some split pea soup last night and it was really good. Beat the hell out of those potatoes and raw carrots.