Fitness goals for 2014! | FerrariChat

Fitness goals for 2014!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by PureEuroM3, Jan 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    New year and new goals everyone.

I'm off to a strong start cutting 10lbs in 2 weeks after the holidays. I'm at 200 lbs right now and want to keep dropping to under 190.

I play hockey twice a week and go to the gym about 3 times. My major goal is a better diet which includes a big reduction in alcohol consumption. My wrist is in pain from hockey but I need some weights in my routine soon.

Get back into running and run at least one event this year.

What are yours?

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good job! I now want to go from 190 to 180. Lost 70 pounds last year, but just
    cannot seem to hit 180. I hit 190 in June and don't even remember it. But that
    last TEN pounds is a bugger. So trying to shake things up at the gym these
    days to shake that last pesky 10. But having been 260 and 44 pants down to
    190 and 33 pants I'm happy enough... just gotta figure out how to make the last hurdle.

Jedi

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Just hit 155 (from 195), and have hit a bunch of weight lifting and running benchmarks. My goals this year are: 1) Weight to the low 150's, 2) Run a half-marathon (I'd like to have the pace be 9 minutes/mile), 3) Bench 200 (dumbbells), 4) 20 pull-ups (any grip), and 5) take 10 minutes off my standard mountain biking loop.

4. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    How you'd do that - the weight loss?

My goal is to cut out alcohol and lose weight - I'm at about 190 right now myself. Just got back from a week in Vegas - that didn't help anything.

MDS

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    #5 Scotty, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    3 years ago I had to go gluten free (not by choice). That cut out a ton of crap food (for example, most fries you get "out" have been dusted in wheat flour, even though potatoes are, of course, GF). 8 months ago I had to go very low carb (blood lipid issue that drugs can't address). That wiped out most of the rest of the crap in my diet. Also, being very low carb has lead to less (not none, but less) hunger craving/binge eating etc. So it has just taken a little bit of additional work to lose the weight (25 pounds came off easy, the last 15 less so). I worked on limiting my alcohol some, but not eliminating it. I am working out a bit more (somewhat because it is easier without the additional weight) but I was fit at 195.

6. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Good stuff! I did the same thing about 5 years ago when I went from the 240-250 mark down to under 190lbs. Great feeling that is for sure and you are right about the last 10 lbs. The first part will fly off as you get active but once that is gone the tough stuff arrives. I'm at that point around 190-195lbs. Anything under that is tough to lose but dropping from +200 is fairly easy.

Went from size 40 to size 36 and the only reason I can't do smaller is because I have big thighs and a big bum as my gf likes to say. Waist for me is actually around 34 when I'm at the 190lb mark.

Keep up the hard work. My approach to the last few lbs is getting on a healthier diet and eating smaller portions. Controlling my hunger is tough and I have avoided just about everything but water in the past few weeks. One or two cheat days with some pop but besides that it is a lot of water and a morning glass of OJ.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just got back from Aspen where I was skiing about 3 hrs a day hammering down the mountain w no break till I got to the gondola. Dropped 1.5# despite easting smores, steak, pizza etc :)

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Crossfit helped my hockey game plus now I play on 2 dek teams with guys 20y younger than me ....

The running has helped much

9. Hamlin

Hamlin Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 6, 2014
    I want to lose 30 pounds in this new year.
    I recently started an outdoor cardio exercise plan to burn all unnecessary body fat and lose extra weight on my body. I hope I will succeed to lose this extra weight within 3 to 4 months.

10. I<3strippers

I<3strippers Karting

Apr 22, 2012
    VIR
    You are off to a good start, but diet has a huge impact. 30lbs in 3-4 months is really pushing it IMO. I have friends who have a weekly work out routine yet eat like pigs, and then I have friends who do minimal exercise/weight lifting/cardio, but eat right and dont lose weight. Both groups claim they cant lose weight.

Keep up the cardio, Im sure you have a PT who is helping with fitness goals/nutrition, and don't get discouraged when you hit a plateau! Don't weigh yourself every week, as it can actually be disappointing. Have had friends do a solid fitness/health plan only to realize they "only lost 4lbs" while they actually burned fat and gained muscle, then quit because the number on the scale didnt reflect how they feel.

Regardless, keep it up man, go for that goal!

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I need to lost about 15-20lbs myself. When this brutal winter is over, I am going to sign up for a membership and get myself back into shape.

12. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    morning orange juice is garbage, just sugar.In fact has more sugar than soda. start eating egg whites for breakfasts. forget the soda as well.

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dropped near 18# since Jan 1

I feel so much better

Energy is way higher, I look better, & my clothes fit much better

Still want to drop another 10# but I'm really happy w results so far

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    What have you done to drop the weight please share

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Today I dropped an even 20# for this year :)

I feel so much better at 218 than 238

My goal was 215. Will have to reset goal to 205 soon :)

16. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Good for you.

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #17 plastique999, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    End of 2013, I was working out regularly with a trainer and got my BF down to around 6.5%. Had a good routine and one of my goals was to bench twice my weight 5'7" 139 lbs. ...got to 250....then end of the year I suffered a bad ski injury and suffered compression fractures in T7 and T11.
    3 months in a back brace.

I just got released from my brace and started physical therapy. It's amazing how quickly my body deteriorated.
    But in a month I'm hoping to get back into the gym to start training again.

Pretty motivated and inspired by my office manager who has the same trainer. She recently competed in a women's fitness competition and placed 3rd. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Before my bypass surgery I was not able to do much and I gained weight and became out of shape and developed some bad eating habits. My surgery was last November and I am now back to a full workout schedule but to break my habit and my cravings I started something new 13 days ago. I eat only fruits and veggies (2 meals of liquid 1 of solid foods), and I am going to do this for 30 days. I use protein powder since I do not eat dairy, carbs, or any meat, poultry, or fish (that part is hard I crave raw fish). I have lost 10lbs I have more energy and feel 10 years younger. It must be doing something my doc called me yesterday my blood pressure is 94/56 Cholesterol down well below 100 and my vitals are what a 30 year should have. Never thought I'd be saying my Kale, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, celery, tomato, carrot, and pepper breakfast drink was delicious.

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Congrats!
    Really shows how important a good diet is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    That seems impossible to sustain for a long time . And I'm interested

21. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Carnut,

How do you make this tastey or palatable ?

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Today is day 16 I am back in 32" waist pants. We eat out often and I have found restaurants very willing to cook me what I ask for the way I want it. Though I would not suggest eating out until you have been on this a while and the cravings start to subside. If you want something that tastes good try this. Kale, sweet potato, spinach (not the stuff in the bag that will not give you much juice) cabbage, carrot, broccoli, celery, pear, apple, and orange. Keep in mind it takes some getting used to but for the most part my craving are gone and my solid food meal is getting smaller (I fill up much faster). A really good solid food meal is grilled Portobello's with roasted peppers on top and then I top it with sauce I make from plum tomatoes onions and mushrooms (I'm a decent cook).