The single best fitness thing I've seen: | FerrariChat

The single best fitness thing I've seen:

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Noel, Feb 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Good stuff. Thanks!

3. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Wow. Nice find Noel! This truly is a condensed version of the best of the best. I have used Berkhan's intermittent fasting for several years and I have used the 5x5 for almost a decade. I have gotten fantastic results and I far from a gym rat. I am in the gym maximum 3 days per week.

If people would just read this and actually use it, it would be remarkable.

I get tired of my friends constantly arguing that I have superior genetics, etc. etc. Then I finally convince them to do my program. They give it a half hearted effort for a month, then go back to their own thing because my system wasn't working (after only giving a half assed attempt for a month). Meanwhile they continue to be overweight and out of shape and just say "when your metabolism slows down you'll understand." Sorry for the rant.

4. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

yep.. spot on.

5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Awesome. That is a great resource. I'm going to use it to try and add some muscle mass. I got super lean using similar methods but I'm having trouble putting on more muscle lately. This link will help.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Wow. Most of these sites I look at have a clear bias, or seem trying to advance a particular agenda, or aren't based on published science in exercise physiology, etc. This site (which I just skimmed) seems to be the best I've seen.

A big point this site makes, and that many don't get, is the primacy of diet. While diet without training won't help you do your first 10K, or your first pull up since high school, or whatever physical metric you choose to use, you can be fit and fit. Fit and thin (for many metabolic types) requires diet.

7. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
  8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    It's quite a lot of material. I have noted the URL down in my Evernote...and I go through a portion of it each day. Fantastic resource, thank you. I have been into fitness and health for a few years now, and I am always tweaking my formula and learning and relearning. This site is great.

Thanks again.

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Now that I'm 31, I've suddenly realised I can't eat junk without consequences so have downloaded the free mobile application MyFitnessPal (Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com), as recommended in the OP's link.

So far, I've learned that apart from needing to change what I'm eating, I'm also eating far too much. My usual portions are nearly twice the size they should be. I've replaced cakes with bananas, am tracking calorie intakes for various meals, am building up a database of recipes (and their nutritional info), and started some low-dose vitamin supplementation as well.

Only been using the application for 3 days, but so far it seems quite helpful. The next steps are to start introducing some exercises and then ramping them up. I'm not massively overweight at the moment but I don't feel particularly healthy, so I've got general improvement of health in mind rather than a specific target weight or body aesthetic.

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will

That is a great start. Most people do not have a clue as to how many calories they are actually consuming. It is remarkable what the average person thinks of as "healthy".

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Yours is a good age to start, Andrew.

I never needed to watch my weight in my 20s. In my 30s I came up with a lot of excuses. Marriage, kids, work, whatever. It's that much harder now that I'm in my 40s.

If you develop and maintain the good habits you're describing, you'll be much better prepared for my age than I was.

:)

Matt

12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #12 NeuroBeaker, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, here's the end of my first week. My daily limit is 2220 calories to lose 1 pound per week, so I think I'm roughly breaking even at the moment with a 2449 daily average. I've been l logging absolutely every tiny little thing, even the cognac I had Saturday night. :)

More dietary changes for next week and will introduce some light exercises too.

All the best,
    Andrew.

PS:
    No data for Monday, as I only downloaded the application on Tuesday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thank you very much for sharing, I skimmed through and it's an amazing resource!

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Good for you! There is no such thing as a bad time to start.

Don't forget to make those healthy calories and not empty ones. I've seen people get hung up simply on the number. Make every calorie count!

15. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the encouragement. :) Here's how I'm doing so far this week:

I'll take today as a sign:

I've moved the daily calorie goal from 2220 per day to 1880 per day, as I think I was somewhat aiming for the line rather than trying to be much under it. So, I think I've got a handle on what I need to do (or not do :)) to stay at a healthy limit for absolute calories.

As you say, I should be making these healthy calories, so I'm looking at the breakdown of Carbohydrates, Fat, and Protein too. First week was just a baseline, and second week is from the point of trying to eat healthier:

I was actually intending fat to have a relative decrease compared to the others, but it seems it I've inadvertently reduced protein more than I expected. Here's the breakdown so far this week... amounts consumed so far and the limits for the week:

Will be exercising tomorrow so will be able to indulge in greater culinary experiences. ;) :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Great work! FWIW, the rule of thumb is 500 cals/day = 1 lb/week.

17. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
  18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #18 Smiles, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just reread this. What good stuff!

This bit caught my eye. My normal Saturday indulgence is a three egg omelet and a few rashers of bacon. Still less than half of what a Cinnabon would be.

Most Americans don't know how poorly we eat.

Matt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Portion distortion is a huge reason many are so overweight. My wife is a dietician and has models of what a portion size really should be. I was amazed at how little a portion really is. I have gotten serious about diet lately and have lost 25 lbs in the past three months. I don't regret giving up sodas and my nightly bourbon.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wow. Congratulations, Keith!

That's really rapid weight loss.

Matt

21. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Awesome stuff! :D

Over a similar timeframe I've lost 14 pounds. Admittedly, I too have struggled with trying to keep portion sizes down, so that's taken some getting used to. Importantly, I've stopped incessant snacking on chocolate and I've stopped having breakfasts that occasionally just consisted of half a dozen cinnamon buns dunked in a pot of icing sugar (no, I'm not kidding). :eek:

My original goal was to get below 195 then reassess, but now I think I'll keep going and reassess at 180. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Very nice work, I am really convinced that diet is roughly 80% of the equation. When I first started I left diet alone and just simply worked out with the help of a trainer. Lost a decent amount of weight (10lbs) and got through the initial soreness. Then I started to comply with my wife's eating regimen the pounds really started to melt away. First week was awful, stopped soda cold turkey and no more ordering out at work or participating in food day. Fresh fruit is my reward food. It's paying dividends and I feel so much better.

23. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks Matt, still have some work to do but going to stick with it. Having a dietician as a wife certainly helps. In sure she is glad to see that I am trainable at something!

24. dadswrld

dadswrld Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    JR
    Thank you for the link! The info proves to be very informative, much appreciated!

25. Southpaw F1

Southpaw F1 Karting

Mar 11, 2013
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mitchell
    Wow great information in that site! I will definitely take that into consideration when targetting goals!