Spartan Race/ Obstacle Mud Runs.. | FerrariChat

Spartan Race/ Obstacle Mud Runs..

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 150shot, Feb 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Anyone do these? I've been an avid fitness enthusiast / gym rat for close to 20yrs, and have been doing these type runs for a few years..seems to have blown up the last few years also.

Basically, 3-10+ mile runs combined with obstacles, mud pits, walls, dirt, and different type challenges throughout..

This part is a long shot, but if anyone is doing the Spartan Race in Las Vegas (8+ Miles) on Apr. 5th let me know and come join our team! Its a very fun camaraderie type building event..the video at the start of their site is very inspiring www.spartanrace.com

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I don't but I am very curious as to what the genesis is behind this, Tough Mudder, other races, and Xfit.

Was it the economic crash? People couldn't get good jobs so they "went back to nature"? I mean what is it that makes so many women especially want to do dangerous olympic lifts or crawl thru mud? (I think anything that gets the population interested in fitness in general is great)Tiger Woods in his prime was responsible for an uptick in golf participation, Michael Jordan for the NBA. What is the cause for this stuff?

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I'll be there with my brother. I love these obstacle course races. I'm running somewhere between 6 and 10 of them this year.

I did the Socal Spartan Sprint in January. So far, that's the toughest one I've done. I'll probably do the socal Beast later in the year to complete the trifecta also.

Mark

4. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #4 joker57676, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #5 joker57676, Feb 26, 2014
  6. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #6 joker57676, Feb 26, 2014
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    lookin' good there Mark!

8. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    If by good you really mean disgusting, then I agree! Thanks!

:D

Mark

9. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Vinny- I think basically the "hype" over these races is just its something totally different. Doesnt have the normalcy of the typical gym, aerobic class, and so on. Its something cant redo on your own and for the most part it can be used as something to work towards and feel like you did something that you would "never" really consider..

Its pretty crazy though since everyone thinks you have to be in shape , or super fit to complete them but in reality there are alot of willing stranger helpers along the way..

--

Mark- cool pics! I have some of those as well...if you want to join our team let me know! its pretty much just a novelty since we get separated during ( again were not trying to break records) ..we run around noon and we also get a $5 discount if we get two more members =)

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've done a few Tough Mudders, and a few other shorter ones. Dig the long distance ones. But you gotta sign up now to commit to it and sign up for an early slot. Bring a friend. It isn't a race. Got a bad back? You'll be cautious when it comes time.

11. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011

I am just curious about the cause and effect, the effect being lots of people doing these races and Xfit type regimens. What is the Cause? Is it an underground marketing effect? Was it a movie? Was it a person? Was it some late night video? Is it those Tumblr pages with all the hot bodies that are going viral and gaining momentum? Is it ex military?

In a period when obesity is at an all time high, this stuff is very counter-culture. I made a little attempt at something similar back in the mid 90's that I called Hoist & Haul. It would have been a tough sell back then.

12. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I can tell you what caused me to workout and compete in these races as I do (certainly cannot speak for everyone).

I was an athlete my whole life. I played very competitive hockey, fought tae kwon do nationally, and went to college to play baseball at a very big D1 school. Put simply, I was in amazing shape and lived to compete. I got injured and had to stop playing ball shortly into my freshman year of college. I rehabbed but quickly fell out of a fitness routine.

Fast forward ten years, I'm in practice in law and kept getting the urge to physically compete. No matter what I did, I couldn't quash it. I joined a very intense gym (not crossfit, but the idea is the same). Upon joining it was a daily contest with myself to first complete the workouts, then complete them well, then to be one of the fittest people there. I did one obstacle course race two weeks after joining my gym and was hooked.

Both my gym and these races give me the competition I was needing. I train like an animal (nearly) everyday, compete with myself to be better everyday, and test myself against others when these races come up. I have a good group I train with so its a blast even though we're killing ourselves.

With regards to other people, I think you touched on one aspect of why super fitness is gaining popularity. I think women seeing other women hot and working out is motivational and driving. It's addictive when you're in a good environment. Women see men not only accepting then in fit form, but loving it. That's certainly a factor in its popularity with them.

Mark

13. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    That is what I am getting at ^^

As for your situation, You're an outlier, not the same generation, as the most of these people behind this movement. This new bunch is mostly 20's and 30's. Back when I started, the major swing from the Ignorance that was prevalent regarding building any muscle to requiring muscle building programs in every major sport was influence from Pumping Iron, Arnold, and Joe Gold, and even LF's performances in Superstars/WSM. (unfortunately the pendulum swung too far to create an epidemic of roid use)

It use to be, pre 1975, that coaches would preach against any weightlifting, now just look at big time college weight rooms. It was hard to find a gym, any gym, when traveling. Complete change attributable to what I posted above.

But now this new movement has nothing to do with arnold, lou, or joe. They don't even know them. I think it's great because there seem to be an awful lot of these types, at least on the internet ;) , Beauty ? Fitness , I am just wondering where the spark came from.

14. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    How old do you think I am?

:)

Mark

15. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    #15 Vinny Bourne, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    A thousand pardons, I had you confused with DonJuan348, My Mistake. He has made it known that he is 47. Now paying close attention to your timeline above I would say 30. If that is correct, that puts you right in the target demographic.

EDIT(You both have mentioned being hockey players, that's where my mind transposed you 2)

16. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Correct! Someone get this guy a prize!

:)

Mark

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Lol ...I have to admit ...he sound similar to me but I don't practice law and I still play hockey. I would give your age of 37

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

I wish i would have known, I would have signed up .

19. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Ouch, do I look 37? :(

I think I'll go cry now.

Mark

20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    That was based on 10y out of law school . I don't look 47 , my teammates usually think I'm their age and that my 27y son is my brother .

It tick my son off when his female friend think I'm his brother and hit on me ...lol

21. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Still not too late, let me know , I saw a few codes out there with at least 15% off the entry fee for now. YOu can basically sign up till the last week or so but the earlier the better as price goes up the closer it gets.

I think we run around 12noon. Were not out to break records on this one , were out to enjoy and have fun! thanks

22. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Ahhh, you misread my timeline or I didn't write clearly. I'm 30.

Mark

23. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Oh ***** , you're a youngster ...very easy to bounce back. Key is will you be doing it at my age and beyond.

Your age group is who I compete with for hockey flag football and Xfit . It ain't easy to give them a run for the money .

Just keep working , when you don't feel like it at your age , you definitely won't at mine.

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Signed up for hockey tournament or I would . Always nice to meet fellow f chatters and build camaraderie . Fun is the key , which I always like to have ...

Keep me posted on upcoming fun events ..I will make plans to attend . Never been to LA area so that'll be reason to go .

My wife did spartan race at high elevation outside of CO

25. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    No Problem DonJuan- were tentatively signing up for the BEAST race in Temecula ( Socal) in September, such a ways out tho but thats our plan.