Jiu Jitsu: Improving recovery time ? | FerrariChat

Jiu Jitsu: Improving recovery time ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    JJ is going well although wrestling w 20 yr olds is quite the challenge.

Now that I've dropped 18# I'm doing much better but my recovery time is still unacceptle

I need maybe 2 minutes to catch my breath after grappling a minute or 2

I ride my bike 2 hours twice a week which helps my aerobics but JJ is far more demanding than even fast bike riding aerobically.

So how does one reduce their recovery time ?

apart from getting younger LOL

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well 4 things come to mind instantly. 1st imo over multiple sports cross training is nice but there is nothing better that training in the sport you are competing in for getting in shape for that sport. 2nd are you sure the bike training is really training? The bike is a dangerous tool because it is such a good tool. You can ride for 50 miles and not get tired or 1 mile and be wacked depending on how you ride it. 3rd its all in the brain. Calorie for calorie, effort for effort the one you are mentally relaxed doing will take less effort. I have no clue how long you have done BJJ for but if you are young in the sport and feel like you are always challenged then you will burn more energy. Its like your adrenaline is up when someone is trying to hurt you and you spend extra energy to up your game and prepare for war even if the physical movements never result in you going 110%. Does that make any sense? 4th there is age. The toughest opponent you will ever face. You don't beat it you live with it and learn to compensate. Age and treachery is all we got left.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    HIIT (high intensity interval training)

A combo of weights and cardio mixed together. Sprints. Stairs. Hill climbs. Kettlebells. Kettlebells. Kettlebells.

Mark

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Buy a jump rope and use it. Just like old time boxers.

Matt

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Treachery, jump rope & HITT

ok thnx :)

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Actually, even something more generic than HIIT might help, which is raising your anaerobic threshold. Intervals (they don't have to mixed) will do that.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Carbs Before

Proteins After

Take a hike!

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Row machine . Try rowing for 2m intervals with 1m rest . See how fast your cardio improves

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes I forgot my apple before class

Another reason I was dragging

10. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You aren't breathing well. I don't remember how long you've been doing this but in BJJ you need to stay relaxed. If you are gassing that quick and needing that much recovery (I recall you've been doing this for a little bit and are fairly active in your life.

It's like when someone starts boxing for the first time (myself included) and get in the ring. They ALWAYS gas quick no matter whAt kind of shape they are in because they are tense and forget to breathe every time they punch or get hit.

I'll guarantee when you are across the mat from that 20 year old you are already getting nervous/anxious to "perform". Then to compensate for lack of knowledge you are going for brute strength and "big explosive" moves and probably not breathing well during any of it. BJJ is leverage over strength. Leverage makes it easier.

I would REALLY concentrate on staying relaxed and breathing better. Go into every training role working on taking good DEEP breaths no matter what position you are working from. A gassed grappler is a dead grappler so go into every roll understanding that your breathing is THE most important aspect of the roll. Learn that first. You can have that mastered in two weeks if you work on it. The other "stuff" will take 20 years +.

The breathing part is something my prof works on a LOT when you are new. And he's right. You won't be technically sound if you are gassed. You won't last long. So learning how to stay relaxed and breathe is KEY.

11. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #11 Huskerbill, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Delete. Duplicate post.

12. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    1st thing is get your diet right. Like premium fuel in a Ferrari, you need to supply your body with premium fuel. Quality carbs not surgary carbs; quality proteins, and heathy fats.

High Intensity Interval Training HIIT, would best serve you as well as staying relaxed when ground fighting. Don't fight the guy, flow with the guy.

For fight conditioning, I use crossfit type training. I said type because I'm not sold on the lift this weight as fast as possible and not getting injured. I use a lot of bodyweight exercises, bands, and TRX bands as I'm deployed most of the year and don't have access to a gym. Tires and sandbags can do wonders believe it or not.

If you want to give it a try, you can look into the Tapout XT series of workout DVDs. My team uses those, combined with Insanity Asylum and Rushfit just to break up our workouts when we have access. They are decent cardio based workouts. Bas Rutten has some workouts on DVD that are boxing/fighting related that we also do.

Also make sure you recover meaning take as much time off from training as you spend training especially if you are older.

You will ask this question 10 times and get 10 different answers.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I agree with style.HIIT training is the key. Plus relaxing