For how long will I hate the gym? :p | FerrariChat

For how long will I hate the gym? :p

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DriveAfterDark, Apr 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Worked out today, for the first time in many years. I got three months with a lot of spare time and I'm around 30 years old now and thought I might as well invest some time in my body for future health benefit.

I know some of you guys love working out like a passion, and a lot of people have told me that they get lots of energy from this activity... Well, I don't.
    I'm not looking forward to going back in two days, but I must get in better shape and I'm just going to hold on to the hope of loving it after it becomes a routine.

/rant

Btw. the gym owner owns Frank Sinatra's ex Miura, along with several other Lamborghini's (Diablo and LP640 too, among others I don't know of). We talked a little bit about cars, his office was loaded with Ferrari and Lamborghini pictures on his wall so it was bound to happen.

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Here's what's worked for me:

Do weightlifting or strength training. Move major muscle groups. You might want to do the simple 3 sets of 8-12 reps each until fatigue.

As your muscles develop, you'll want to show them off, which means getting rid of fat, which in turns means a better diet or more cardio.

But in order to get out of the rut and actually enjoy it, I need to see some results.

Good luck!

Matt

3. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Yes, I know the "major muscle groups first" part :) I just seem to always be missing the "fun" and "gives you energy" part of weightlifting. That's all :p

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I have problems finding the energy to work out on the days I'm not working (I work in a busy hospital). I have tons of energy at work for 12 hour shifts and it continues when I get back home to lift. On my days off...I'm a couch potato and have a hard time getting up and lifting. I suggest lifting on your buys work days when your heart is still pumping away from trying to meet deadlines and what not...

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Get a trainer. They will 1) possibly get and keep you motivated, 2) make sure you don't hurt yourself, and ensure a balanced program, and 3) be able to adjust what you do to your energy and tolerance level. You may have to try several to find one that works, and it may be a "once every 6 months" tune up kind of deal, versus working out with a trainer every time you go into the gym.

Disclaimer--I don't use one, but I also (weirdly) don't have a motivation problem when it comes to working out.

6. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    My 6-7am hour in the gym is the highlight of my day (till 5), makes the day so much more tolerable.

Wouldn't trade it for anything.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Keep going for 2 weeks and it will become a habit & you will see results

Keep in mind if you want to lose fat best way is to fix your diet first

8. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    That's part of the reason, anyone returning to resistance training or just starting is going to be hurting big time. Go slow at first, then intensity will determine frequency.

And it depends on your personality, for me, it is hard work and has been since I started almost 40 years ago. It's serious business with a good workout providing satisfaction (my fun). For other types of people it can be carefree and types of equipment/exercises you do will determine that. In general, machines are much easier than free weights, and certain exercises much less demanding than others.

Either way it is something all people should do their entire lives.

9. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks for the replies. I'm actually not in it to remove fat, I'm in it to gain weight because I'm skinny (losing that belly fat would be nice though).

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This.

And when once you do get into a grove and then get that feeling you don't feel like going, take the week off and begin the next. I just got out of the phase.

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    After losing 70+ pounds last year and starting at LA Fitness, people often ask
    me "what is your workout routine?"

SHOWING UP. That's my routine!

JUST GO. Do what you can - add stuff as you can - but BEING THERE and DOING STUFF
    is what counts initially. Worked for me... and I still have "off days" where I either don't
    have time or have lower motivation - but at least I hit the weights and did cardio.

Good luck to you!

Jedi

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    BTW...
    Was / is that miura an orange color with shag carpets.
    I looked at FS's car / miura about 10 years ago,
    I passed because i thought 149 g's was too much to pay for it .
    So thats who got it!
    Worth at least 800 g's now

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You know how it's said that if you do what you like for a living, you'd do it for free?

Do you like hiking?

Other than boots & a backpack, hiking is free.

It's also living.

14. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #14 DriveAfterDark, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you for the replies! My arms are not working today, lol, even holding a phone to my ears is difficult!

Exactly. When he bought it it wasn't in a good shape, but he fixed it up again to immaculate condition. He has won several awards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDdufQzI3aU

"Former Frank Sinatra 1969 Lamborghini Miura S wins the best in show award for the Concours d'Elegance from the 50th anniversary of Lamborghini."

It was also the first car from Lamborghini with metallic paintjob.

The owner is an airplane mechanic, but is known for running one of the most reputable bodybuilding gyms in the country, being an ex bodybuilder and of course his immaculate Lambo' collection. He is very down to Earth and surprisingly he enjoys talking about any type of cars, cheap or expensive, and we had a pleasant conversation on sharknose BMW's!

Below is a link with pictures of a 50th Anniversary museum stand where the car sits right now (until June), located in Norway, with 20 Lamborghini's on display. I think I'll have to visit to get a closer look!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I hear you. Despite what others say, there must be a type of person that hates exercising. Hates every minute of it for decades and it doesn't get any better. That's me. Despite trying running, rowing, cycling (real or stationary), weights, stairs.....All I'm thinking of the whole time is what I could be doing with my time that I would enjoy more....like shaving my head with a cheese grater while chewing on tinfoil.

16. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I used to abhor all things related to exertion. I was the kid who puked running the 1/4 mile, couldn't do a pull-up to save his ass, and hated push-ups with a passion unmatched.

Yesterday, I ran four 7:30 minute miles (best yet is 6 6-minute miles) and did speed drills on my drum kit for an hour and a half. The day before, I did heavy leg/lower back/abs circuit training. The day before, I ran a 5k as fast as I could and did supersets of windshield wipers and push ups then jumped on the drums again. The day before that, I did moderate-heavy bench supersetting with pull ups holding a 50lb dumbell with my feet, drop sets to bodyweight when the reps fell off, then moved on to incline/bent over row/toes to bar trisets. I don't have tons of time, so I have to get it all done in 45 minutes or so, which I really enjoy now.

I'm not saying this to boast - there are stronger and faster people than this 155 pound guy out there. BUT, I came a long way, and all I really did was decide that I did NOT hate the gym :) I honestly look forward to hitting the weights or going for a nice run or walk or bike ride.

After a while, with the proper mindset, you will come to love it and live it, and that's when you really find out what you can do! You're in the stage that makes things appear harder than they are; stick it out, start impressing yourself and busting through the barriers of what you think your limits are, and you will likely end up as passionate as anyone here. Trust me. I used to HATE IT!

17. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Hahaha! :)

18. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Yup.. After earlier failed attempts at regular weightlifting, I have decided to most definitely go every time with no excuse... So far so good, but I feel like the weakest in there and that sucks (not looking for pity comments, just expressing that I have a long hard way to go).

19. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I have gained 3 pounds (1.5 kg.) in 2 weeks! That's an achievement for me, I had stayed spot on 143 lbs (65 kg for at least 3 years)! I just couldn't go above that weight, but I have eaten like champ after the exercises and also on resting days and it has shown siginificant results!

I have swapped out milk with water for the protein shakes, and apart from it tasting a bit worse, I was surprised at how much easier it became to chug down a shake without feeling naucious. I also don't feel like I'm ruining the apetite for the next meal, as I was with milk protein shakes.

20. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Now that my basic 3 days a week setup is ready (after the instructor tested me on various exercises the first couple of weeks), I actually think I'm looking forward to the next time (today)!

I think it's because I have understood how to do the different workouts, and now it feels like a setup that I'll go through with no problem. The first times were so confusing and a bit intimidating (my macho ego feels so small when practically every other male in there is stronger than me :p). I am working on focusing 100% on myself when I'm there.

A question... Is there anything I should slot in on the non-workout days? Like running/bike riding or something like that? Or will the 10-20 minute warm-up before the routine workouts be enough - meaning that I should just take a resting day instead?

21. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Here is my suggestion. For me it happened by coincidence . Get involved in a gym and start to friend the people who regularly go. it becomes a club that you " belong to". You by association will enjoy being there and everything comes from that experience. To get from point A to point b just show up and work hard.People will notice your commitment. The right club members want to see you are committed. 90% of the people at the gym stop going. The true enthusiast don't want to befriend them. Jon in Delaware

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Tag.
    For when I get off my behind.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Get a trainer that will help you motivate is what works best. Preferably a hot single girl so you think you might have a shot if you keep going, and will be embarrassed to come up with lame excuses why you can't go.

24. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I agree with the hiring of a trainer. Even for a couple days a week, for a few weeks.

25. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Making it a fun habit is the key to life long fitness. Don't push so hard that you dread going. I go to a gym everyday Monday to Friday. Some days are harder than others and I adjust to my energy level.