Ketosis | FerrariChat

Ketosis

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GTHill, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I've been doing more and more research on Ketosis (keto) and have found it very interesting. It's very much like Paleo / Atkins type things. It's your basic high fat / low carb diet.

Here is what I like about it:

- It can be measured in other ways than weight. You get Ketostix and pee on them. If it changes color you are in ketosis and are doing the right thing.
    - You still get to eat some carbs
    - I'm never hungry unless I just haven't eaten
    - I don't count calories
    - It's not hard when I travel.

I've been doing this for about 5 weeks of which ALL of them have been on the road. I've lost almost 20lbs and I feel great. About week two I seriously was wanting the sugar but I pushed through it. Now I can have lemon in my water and feel like I'm having lemonade.

If you are interested I recommend the book "Why We Get Fat". It's a good book and not a hard read.

Any thoughts?

GT

2. zvezdah1

zvezdah1 Rookie

Feb 20, 2005
    Why not just exercise, eat reasonable portions of everything in appropriate percentages and you'll lose weight/get healthy.

The long term effects on the body by forcing it into specific states to drop weight fast aren't necessarily good, trashed gall bladder, etc. etc.

3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Read the book. Research carbs and sugar. They are the enemy.

GT

4. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    So Asians and Italians shouldn't live that long if carbs are the enemy.

+1 on exercise and good diet. There's no easy way other than to do it and be consistent. Plus Hill you have a rower ...Use it ...

5. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

ignore the haters, you know that you're right. (so do i)

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Very hard on your kidneys.

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I did it strictly once for a few weeks, I have never wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich more in my entire life.

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The point that is ignored here (and often in these threads) is that we humans are a bunch of different metabolic types. We all probably know the person who eats whatever they want, doesn't really work out, and is as thin as a rail. Ditto the hard core gym rat who is clearly carrying ann extra 40 or 50 pounds, even though they are clearly both strong and fit. That's point one.

Point two is that we don't know everything. I am currently chasing the current vogue (LDL particle size) and it works very well for me to avoid inducing insulin (I have flipped my metabolic profile). So I am on a high fat, low carb, high protein diet. My lipid numbers look great. Am I grinding on my kidneys--probably. Do I know how to weigh kidney abuse versus intimal artery abuse from bad lipids--I don't.

So, at the end of the day, it is hard to know what to do. Other than being fat probably isn't good, sky high LDL's and Cholesterol probably aren't good. Super high protein diets probably aren't good. Even with what we know, it is hard to know which parameters to focus on.

9. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I've just started a Paleo nutrition plan. I've been on a high protein/low fat diet for some time and am very fit (5'9 and 150 lbs) but despite that I don't seem to have a lot of energy and am frequently tired. I'm going Paleo to see if adding the fat back into my diet while eliminating potential allergens like dairy and starches (bread and potatoes) is what my body is missing. I'm giving it a month and going to monitor my weight and energy level. Hopefully, I can find a happy medium somewhere!

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed. As someone that has competed in bodybuilding, jiu-jitsu, and has worked out for over 30 years of my 48 years of life, I would just moderate - eat well, but smart, and exercise!!!

Before anyone makes excuses about body type or metabolism, bell curves apply. 10% are blessed with a great physique / metabolism, 10% are cursed with a poor physique / metabolism. 80% have to work hard(er) IMHO.

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Were you low carb and low fat? That would be why you had little energy.

I'm no expert, but I'd just play with higher fats or higher carbs and see how you feel.

It's amazing how a steady walk on the treadmill or stair climber for 15-20 minutes can make you feel better.

12. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Yes, low carb and low fat. But I can't seem to find a happy medium. If I eat more fat/carbs then I immediately gain weight. That's why I'm hoping switching to Paleo might be the answer I'm looking for.

13. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Unless you have health issues, where you need to avoid certain things. Diet lifestyles are a gimmick.

Just avoid what you know is bad for you, avoid large portions, exercise when you can, and get proper sleep.

It's that simple.

14. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    I used to eat very low carb (actually to going into ketosis) but only for very short periods of time to make weight when I was competing. Restriced by daily carb intake to less than 25 g, and once my body was going into ketosis (usually after 2 - 2.5 days) would immediately switch to 100 g for 2 days, and then carb load for one day, then repeat. While it worked well for what I was looking to do (lean out without losing too much muscle mass), I don't think this is a very good idea and most likely a reason why you don't have a lot of energy. As Jason and Sburke have pointed out, up your carb intake while keeping your total caloric intake at the same level.

Might be a good idea go get your blood work done too, but I can't see you you couldn't be tired/lack of energy when carb restricting.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I relied on this method for a year and lost approximately 50 lbs during that time. The problems I experienced were:

1. Even a small amount of carbohydrate would kick me out of ketosis (and then it could take a couple of days to get back).

2. On such a low-carb diet, it was difficult to take in enough fiber (and all that entails).

3. Carb cravings can be a *****.

4. I wasn't able to sustain the diet for more than a year. After giving in, the weight came back quickly (plus some additional) and was then even more difficult to take off under the normal "eat better and exercise more" regime.

As others have posted, these creative diet lifestyles are only good short-term and may alter your metabolism, making it more difficult to control your weight in the long run.

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I've been mostly in ketosis for about 4 years (I have a lipid processing issue--not a weight issue). 1 is absolutely true, and re-adapting (keto-adapting) sucks. Fiber hasn't been a problem--between supplemental Metamucil and a ton of veggies (and whole seeds, nuts, etc.). While I miss carbs, the benefit is that I don't get the shaky, gotta eat now crashes. If I don't eat I do get hungry, but not the typical carb crash thing. My weight has been stable for 6 years now (I lost 40 pounds initially when I HAD to go gluten free). I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, other than someone who has a small particle LDL problem. And it takes an large serving of willpower to stay on it.

17. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Paleo seems to be agreeing with me. I've been on it for almost a month and I've lost ten pounds, I'm never hungry now, and my strength has gone through the roof!

18. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Been doing Atkins for 18 years now. Gotta stay on the diet. I do what I call a trifecta (crossfit, mountain biking and paddleboarding) several days each week and even with that if I creep in too many carbs I'll gain. Like the saying goes; abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. I like the Paleo as it adds more carbs provided these carbs come with fiber and natural sugar but for me, carbs are carbs and I gain and go out of ketosis after about 35 carbs a day. 5'9 159 lbs for several years now. Age 49

19. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Congrats! Sounds like you have found what works for you. As they say, your mileage may vary and Paleo sure ain't for everyone.

20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thanks. Yeah, I've turned several people on to this. Four lost and kept off 45-50 lbs and rarely forget to thank me for getting them on it. Have struggled with three others. I find they either take the ball and run with or you spend enormous amounts of time and energy trying to coach/motivate to no avail.