Juicing, who does it, and what do you use? | FerrariChat

Juicing, who does it, and what do you use?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Tim1137, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just picked up my first juicer, curious who else has jumped on this bandwagon?

I just spent $25 bucks on some fresh produce at a local supermarket for the week, and did my second juice this morning, so far I am loving it! I typically need a coffee to keep me alive in the morning, but this morning I feel much more energized than before without a coffee, and I am hoping in the near future to be able to replace a meal with a juice. I am drinking it first thing in the morning, as a sort of breakfast replacement. This is almost cheating though, since I typically skip breakfast anyways. My goal would be to have something like a greek yogurt for breakfast, and a juice for lunch... or vice versa.

Yesterday was pears, kiwi, and apple, and today was blueberry, strawberry, cherries, and an apple. Very fruity to start, but I did buy kale and celery to get some greens into it once I am comfortable.

I'd like to start incorporating protein powder into the juice to help keep me full if I plan to replace a meal. Any suggestions here?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  3. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Go the blending route with a vitamix instead. At least you get the finer that way.

I used to juice - primarily celery apples and carrots with a bit if ginger - but the vitamix is a much better option.

If your going to juice go with a high end juicer like a green power / green life. Otherwise you just end up wasting lots of nutrients in your produce. And if you're going to go with a blender, vitamix is the Ferrari of the blender world. Expensive but well worth it.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well, I guess the idea is that your getting the nutrients from the juices of many fruits and vegitables without having to eat all the fiber, and overeat. This morning I had two apples, and 5 carrots... in about 8-10 ounces of juice. I would never actually eat 2 apples and 5 carrots for breakfast.

Just playing devils advocate here, I am still very new to this...

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #6 Smiles, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had to look this up out of curiosity.

See the images below. It looks like you got a total of around 315 calories. You got a huge amount of Vitamin C from the carrots, but not a lot else in the form of vitamins.

However, had you eaten them whole, you would have met two-thirds of the recommended daily allowance for fiber. But you didn't get that fiber, and now should make up for it it somewhere else.

And what you did get is a lot of fructose, or fruit sugar.

Just something to think about.

Matt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting. I am by no means "pro juicing" just yet. I am still in the early stages of trying this out.

I wonder out of all that listed, what else is cast aside. For example, there was about 4 grams of protein somewhere in there, also a third of my daily potassium needs, along with a huge amount of vitamin A, and small amounts of many other vitamins too.

Ginger unfortunately has just about nothing for vitamins and other "good" things lol. I used too much as well so it was overpowering, so that was a total fail anyways.

8. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    So I figured I'd update everyone...

I returned the juicer. It broke after a week.... I dropped a half of an unpeeled lemon in their on "high" setting which the manual said was suitable, and it broke. This juicing thing is such a pain to clean up, and make every morning etc. , I think I'm going to just eat fruits and vegitables the old fashion way, or perhaps try the Ninja blender I have instead.

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Here's a "how-to", 'cept those knives scare me ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cb1DZxIgFc]Chop Like A Chef - Cool! - YouTube[/ame]

10. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I eat a low glycemic diet all the time and have weighed the same plus or minus 4# or so for the last 5 years. I do not think juicing is the answer. I do not eat low fat anything and stay away from foods high in sugar and processed food. I have energy and love that my pants are not tight. I never feel full after eating.

11. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Instead of juicing, try a product called Juice Plus. They use organically grown fruits and vegetables, juice them, and then use a proprietary low temperature process to remove the water without damaging the nutrients with heat. The remaining powder is put into capsules. All the benefits of juicing without the mess. I've been taking it for 10 years now. In that time I've only had the flu once and maybe 3 colds. Check it out at: https://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/content/Home.soa?site=vv49907

12. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    here is my take...I have a juicer and a vitamix and like both but use the vitamix more for a variety of reasons. Juicing IMO is for greens. Maybe expensive and a pain to clean but a great way to pack in a ton of leafy green nutrients in small doses(also things like beets etc.). I believe good for your health and using for a # day fast can be good dependent on your situation. Use an apple, or a pear, etc...if you need the flavor but not to juice fruits. I just go pure green and like it for what it is. Juice greens, make fruit smoothies ( I eat fruit but usually only make fruit smoothies for my daughter)

13. duh_weasel

duh_weasel Rookie

Jul 27, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Reece
    I'm a fitness professional. Juicing is inferior to eating the actual fruit/vegetable for the aforementioned reasons; it limits the fiber you intake. Of course, fruit and vegetable juice is much better than a soft drink would be, so it's a personal preference.

14. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    No it's not. With juice your flooding your body with the vitamins, minerals and phytos by leaving out the fiber, protein, and fats which is extremely cleansing. The vitamins and minerals enter the blood stream very quickly as there is no digestive resistance giving great benefits to the body and is very alkalizing. You are also able to get a far higher concentration of raw organic leafy greens and vegetables in a bottle of juice than a typical person can or will consume as a meal let alone on a regular basis.

Drink cold pressed, organic, raw, unprocessed green juice for a week and see how your body changes and how you feel. One of my best friends had diabetes and after 30 days of drinking juice has dramatically lowered his blood glucose levels to constantly being below 100mg. Juice works.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Just out of curiosity, not argument, do you get the RDA of around 40 grams of fiber a day?

Matt

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Well, that does narrow it down a bit. When most people talk about "juicing" a considerable amount of variety comes with it.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have been juicing for a while now. My morning juice is Kale, Spinach, Carrots, broccoli, Asparagus, celery, cauliflower, and either an apple or pear, and an orange. For lunch I use a blender and make a smoothy. Six months of doing this and I lost lots of weight and my doctor told me my vitals were that of a 25 year old. Considering last October I was told either heart bypass or likely drop dead I am a believer in juicing.

18. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    There is trace amounts of fiber in juice which is all you need during a cleanse. If not cleansing then yes from other sources.

Variety is good. I drink an all green no fruit juice, a beet/granny smith apple/carrot/ginger/ginseng juice, and blended superfood smoothie almost everyday.

19. westtx430

westtx430 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    JHP
    I have done a juice cleanse before and it was great. The first 8 hours are the hardest bc you have the sensation of wanting to crunch something in your mouth for food rather than just drink! After the first day (I felt not great the first day but not awful) things got really awesome with high energy levels, attention zeroed in and just felt better. We eat a lot of crap during our lives, juice cleanses are definitely high on my list of good things to do for myself. You cant go into it without some prep work, buy only organic, try and eat raw foods only or cut out meats a few days beforehand. That will prepare your body for the juice cleanse. I loved it and felt great, also prepare juices that are not all high in sugar otherwise you get just a big ole shot of sugar. I found it easiest to clean the produce one time and then prepare juice for the entire next day and the morning after. This way you are not constantly cleaning the juicer. Make different kinds of juices with different ingredients for variety. There are many websites that will guide you on types of juices you need for a balanced diet and good cleanse. Don't be afraid to modify them to fit your palate, I like spicy so fresh ginger is a staple in my juices.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I still don't see the need for a "cleanse".

Why not eat healthily and cleanly always?

Or, if you want to interrupt clean eating, interrupt it with pure fasting. That'll get you feeling great faster than any cleanse.

Matt

21. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I think I started the last juicing thread.

First off, I still think juicing is great although I don't do it as much as I used to. In fact I'm going to sell my Norwalk b/c it's just too much machine for how much I juice.

Anyway, I have come to believe that part of the good feeling from going pure juicing is the lack of processed carbs and sugars. In my opinion, as much as I have trouble avoiding them sometimes, is that they are evil. I feel so much better and have more energy when I stay away from them as much as possible.

See my ketosis thread.

GT

22. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  23. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    "Juicing" is the wrong term. If you have a Ninja or Vitamix you're just liquifying whatever you put in there. You're not squeezing the juice out.

I use Kale and water. Blending a bunch of fruits you might as well be drinking a coke.

Your body needs lots of leafy greens. I use a Vitamix to get this.

24. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I bought a vitamix a couple months ago and use it daily. My favorite mix: frozen pitaya packet, kale, pinapple, ginger, a dose of protein powder, and almond milk. I drink one daily.

For my greens I'll blend Kale, parsley, celery, cucumber, green apple, and ginger. Add a little ice and water and bam I have a fresh blended green drink. The vitamix is truly an awesome blender, I can't beleive i waited so long to buy one.

25. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Try coconut water, pineapple, vanilla protein powder, passion fruit, and the pitaya packet.