Back in the Lifting Game, anyone else coming back? What are your goals? | FerrariChat

Back in the Lifting Game, anyone else coming back? What are your goals?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Aaya, Aug 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Spent a few years traveling and ignoring my body, just spent the last seven weeks lifting. I forgot how good it felt to be lifting regularly. My goal for the next 6 months is to do 1,000lbs combined max on the squat/deadlift/bench.

What are your goals?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Getting ready for ski season

My legs were trembling today during & after workout

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I lift 4-5 days a week, but don't give a **** how much I lift.

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I found that I need to do at least 70# incline dumbell bench to make the pecs pop

Doing leg press w very light weight for 5 min solid to simulate skiing

If you drive on track you'll need to train neck & rear delts

Love seeing faces of 20 & 30 yr olds when they see me lifting LOL

5. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Every time i go karting I realize I'm glad I work out because I'd be dead the next day.

The name of the exercise escapes me, but put your back against the wall and act like you're sitting in chair and hold it for 30 second sets. That ****s is killer for the quads and butt.

I did a heavier dead lift set Monday for the first time in about a month and I'm feeling it today.

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Last night was first night Shrugs with 90lb. dumbells in each hand..
    Took 3 years to get here.

Lovin it!

7. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Wall squats. They suck. :)

GT

8. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Haha, they do.

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I do those but w a big gym ball behind me

Got to get monster quads & calves for ski season

After 15 squats I get down in a tuck & simulate skiing by flexing quads up & down for 60 seconds, talk about a BURN

Need to get up to 4 min so I can zoom by all my friends :)

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I started incline press w 40, I do 3 sets of 10-15 w 80s now

Makes the pecs nice & thick :)

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Great job!

I do crossfit which has a lot of oly lifting in it. I've been focusing more on lifts to get my strength up and have been cycling thru 5-3-1 for 12 weeks now. I go to a special class every Saturday that teaches technique and it's really helping. I've cut my met cons down to three days a week instead of five and it's helping me put a little size on.

I'm gonna do another round of 1 rm's to see where I'm at soon. Don't think I'll hit 1,000 due to my weak squat by I'm getting closer. 400 dead lift, 225 bench, 265 back squat. I weigh 175 and I'm 43.

Always had weak chest and legs but hoping to change that. I love arms, pull-ups, dips. etc. A goal I have is double body weight pull-ups and dips. I just got five reps of dips with 115lb but I only got one 70lb pull-up :/. Long way to go.

12. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #12 99_Carrera, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Getting back baby.

Uploading a couple pics of the supplements I've stocked up on for a six month big arm program I'm about to start.

Going all out this time, implementing a workout log, micro plates, fat gripz, a dip belt, and a lifting program so structured all four frames of tempo are controlled. Really looking forward to this.

Here's a great 3 minute motivational video I revisit on lethargic days:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Gzf599YzqQ]You Know What's in Your Heart (Best Of Yo Elliott) - YouTube[/ame]

Hope it helps anyone as much as it helps me!! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    52 yo - can you provide me with the basic routine? All I do is overhead press, lat pull downs, curls and bench. 3 sets of 10. I don't want to go to a gyn. I have equipment in my garage. It's a cage with squat rack. Seriously can you provide some basics. Need to lose 25 Lbs. Also- any diet advice would help. I lost significant weight be before doing just Adkins and not working out. Just can't do Adkins again. Trying to walk in the evening. Thanks

14. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Would you mind posting picture(s) of your equipment? It would help a lot.

Some of the basics:

Dramatically change your routine every six weeks or less

You're going to want to superset, resting only 60-90 seconds between sets. This will stimulate growth hormone and will basically integrate the cardio.

Squats deadlifts and bench. These are the staples, and if you are doing them, even if only the bar, then you are moving much more fluidly towards full body health.

Fish oils: take them at your age. They are essentially fish fats, but who would buy them if they were called that? Stick with a good brand (GNC & Costco are two great examples) and make sure it has the epa and dha. This will help your joints tremendously.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not at the gym.

Having something to eat before and after your workout is now the thing to do, as research suggests.

Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Coffee and tea are fine. Eliminate everything else.

The Paleo diet is supposed to be really good. It's not as restrictive as the Adkins, but still too restrictive for me. I do like to eat whole grain breads, so I deviate from it. The body needs fiber anyway.. ;-) But you should do a little research on it. It's pretty simple: If a caveman had access to it (green beans, any meat, etc) then it's ok to eat.

Anyway, these are some of the things that come to mind. If you could upload a few pics of your equipment it would help tremendously. :)

Kind regards.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Where are you in FL ? You can try Visalus protein shakes or I started getting
    PRIMAL ORGANICS deliver meals to my door. Maybe they have PO where you are

16. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Holy geez that's a lot of supps. May want to check those expiration dates on the RTD protein shakes because I don't think they last all that long. I love EAS, but they're RTD's (well all RTD's) taste like medicine.

First advice, take the word TRY out of your vocabulary. You're either going to exercise and eat healthy or not. No matter how tired you are, you have to force yourself.

For diet, the easiest thing to do is eat grilled chicken, fish and veggies/fruits. The typical way to measure food is each portion should be no larger than your fist. I'm not an expert on portion control though.

Just go to bodybuilding.com and look through all of the various exercises they have. As 99 said post your workout set up. If you're motivated enough stay at home, I have to go to the gym. It not only gets me out of the house, it forces me to go. You honestly may want to consider finding a local gym and work with a trainer. You'll learn a lot and see results much faster.

17. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    M if you are not a seasoned lifter be careful. I just want to say 2 years ago at age 49 I tried to get back into it w a trainer and I tore my pec tendon benching what we didn't think was a lot. Rare but up and coming popular injury I was told by surgeon. Was not fun but worst I hear is Hamstring tendon ear.
    I have been doing atkins (again) for 6 months now and it works. Yes you hit a wall and nothing comes off, but ******* it I feel great every morning. It's the damn carbs (breads, pastas, potatoes, sugar and the like) that are the culprit. Eat veggies for your carbs, Atkins still works imo.

I run and do basic calisthenics for exercise.
    Good Luck

18. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    EAS is okay. Honestly I'd consider anything that's pre-packaged in single serves. Beats getting a blender out or a stinky shaker. Can't stand that!

The expiration dates are all a year or longer so I'm good. ;-) Thx for the heads up. :)

19. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    This is my equipment. I live in Ocala. 52 yo - I do bench, curls, lat pull downs, and overhead press. Need to incorporate legs. Advice?

20. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help and advice

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    HAHA! That reminds me of Seinfeld when Elaine says she's tired of shaking things up. :p

Good to hear about that expiration dates. I bought some of those EAS RTD's for a trip in July and couldn't remember what they said.

That's a pretty nice set up.

For legs I would do squats and deadlifts. Start with just the bar. I would also find something that's sturdy and gives you height so you can also do calf raises.

22. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'll post up a three week workout routine sometime tonight. It will be for your first three weeks. I want weekly feedback from you on how everything feels, etc. If everything goes well, I'll post up the next three weeks, etc. We should get you to lose a substantial amount of that 25 pounds in 12 weeks. I just want some communication from you throughout the course.

Two questions. How many pull ups and chin ups can you do? Please try them and get back to me on it. They are far superior to lat pulls, even though that pulley system is a great advantage to have for variety.

My second question is, do you have an ez-bar (a mid-length bar with several bends in it) and also, do you have a rope attachment for the pulley system?

23. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mmmmm.... Elaine......

24. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Okay, here goes. Everyone, feel free to chime in. If you feel like something is wrong I'd like to hear about it. I have a pretty solid knowledge base to where I'm comfortable doing this, but I don't know everything. I'm always open to criticism.

Tempo: will be expressed i.e. 4210. You will read this as the first number being the lowering phase. The second number being a pause phase. The third number as being a raising phase. The fourth number as a pause phase. So for example, if it were bench press, you would lower the bar for four seconds, pause for two seconds, raise the bar in one second, then immediately lower the bar for four seconds, etc.

Form is everything. Do not move your body for any reason unless it is the muscles you are using. Concentrate on this throughout all movements. Be deliberate with every move, and every breath. Concentrate and think about the muscles that are moving and contracting. Do not lose focus.

A radio and full length mirrors might be a good investment, depending on how you feel during training.

Stretch. I will link a video for stretching that you should do pre-workout. This is especially important at your age. If you don't stretch, you will get injured.

You know what to do on diet. High protein low carbs. Keep the carbs good quality like whole grains etc. Water, tea, coffee and that's it. No juices. Try to stick with fruit that is darker in color. The darker the fruit, the more rich in antioxidants they are. But if you want to lose weight, you want to limit your fruit intake and stick more with vegetables instead. After three straight weeks of being serious, allow yourself a cheat day to reward yourself. Eat before and after training. Not too much within your dieting phase. Taking a nap after lifting will help speed up recovery. For your breakfast, some kind of a meat (sausage, etc) and a handful of nuts is best. It will give you energy throughout the day and even out your dopamine and acetylcholine which is important to start your day. Salt and fat is fine in your meat, stay away from meat with sugar added. Again, no milk or juice with this. Only tea, coffee or water. You can opt in for carbs at lunch, etc, just don't eat them before bed. 6-8 glasses of water a day. Aim for 8. Multivitamin & fish oil need to be your staples every day.

You will need a stopwatch to time your rest. This is imperative.

You will need to build or buy or use something you already have to do your Petersen step ups and standing calf raises on.

You should get a set of wrist straps from your local Academy. Loop them around your barbell and do your Upright Rows holding the strap ends instead of the bar. This will put less stress on your wrists.

Keep a training log. It's important to know what weight and reps you did last time so you can refer to it and add an extra rep, or a little extra weight.

I know I'm missing soooooo much, but this is a decent start.

------------------------------------------

Okay, there are two different workouts. They are to be done Monday, Wednesday & Friday, or Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. You will alternate between the two. You will do workout 1A for Monday, Workout 1B for Wednesday, Workout 1A for Friday, Workout 1B for the following Monday, etc.

Remember, this is all supersets. So you are going to have 1a and 1b, 2a and 2b, etc. What this means is that you do 1a, rest the time allotted, then do 1b, rest the time allotted, the go back to 1a, etc until all sets are fulfilled.

Week 1A

Order - Name - Week - Reps - Sets - Tempo - Rest

1a - Petersen Step Up - 1 - 15-20 - 2 - 2010 - 75 Seconds
    1a - Petersen Step Up - 2 - 15-20 - 3 - 2010 - 60 Seconds
    1a - Petersen Step Up - 3 - 15-20 - 3 - 2010 - 60 Seconds

1b - Dumbbell Bent Over Rows - 1 - 10-12 - 2 - 3110 - 75 Seconds
    1b - Dumbbell Bent Over Rows - 2 - 10-12 - 3 - 3110 - 60 Seconds
    1b - Dumbbell Bent Over Rows - 3 - 10-12 - 3 - 3110 - 60 Seconds

2a - Lying Dumbbell Leg Curls - 1 - 8-10 - 2 - 4120 - 75 Seconds
    2a - Lying Dumbbell Leg Curls - 2 - 8-10 - 3 - 4120 - 60 Seconds
    2a - Lying Dumbbell Leg Curls - 3 - 8-10 - 3 - 4120 - 60 Seconds

2b - Bench Press, Semi-Supinated Grip, Dumbbells with Rotation - 1 -10-12 - 2 - 4011 - 75 Seconds
    2b - Bench Press, Semi-Supinated Grip, Dumbbells with Rotation - 2 -10-12 - 2 - 4011 - 60 Seconds
    2b - Bench Press, Semi-Supinated Grip, Dumbbells with Rotation - 3 -10-12 - 2 - 4011 - 60 Seconds

3a - Stiff-Legged Deadlifts (no weight) - 1 - 12-15 - 2 - 2020 - 75 seconds
    3a - Stiff-Legged Deadlifts (no weight) - 2 - 12-15 - 2 - 2020 - 60 seconds
    3a - Stiff-Legged Deadlifts (no weight) - 3 - 12-15 - 2 - 2020 - 60 seconds

3b - Standing Calf Raises (no weight) - 1 - 12-15 - 2 - 2110 - 75 Seconds
    3b - Standing Calf Raises (no weight) - 2 - 12-15 - 3 - 2110 - 60 Seconds
    3b - Standing Calf Raises (no weight) - 3 - 12-15 - 3 - 2110 - 60 Seconds

4a - Biceps Curl - 1 - 12-15 - 2 - 3010 - 75 Seconds
    4a - Biceps Curl - 2 - 12-15 - 3 - 3010 - 60 Seconds
    4a - Biceps Curl - 3 - 12-15 - 3 - 3010 - 60 Seconds

4b - Supine Tricep Extension - 1 - 12-15 - 2 - 3010 - 75 Seconds
    4b - Supine Tricep Extension - 2 - 12-15 - 3 - 3010 - 60 Seconds
    4b - Supine Tricep Extension - 3 - 12-15 - 3 - 3010 - 60 Seconds

Week 1B

1a - Pulldown, Wide Parallel Grip to Throat - 1 - 10-12 - 2 - 3110 - 75 Seconds
    1a - Pulldown, Wide Parallel Grip to Throat - 2 - 10-12 - 3 - 3110 - 60 Seconds
    1a - Pulldown, Wide Parallel Grip to Throat - 3 - 10-12 - 3 - 3110 - 60 Seconds

1b - Squats (no weight) - 1 - 15-20 - 2 - 4020 - 75 Seconds
    1b - Squats (no weight) - 2 - 15-20 - 3 - 4020 - 60 Seconds
    1b - Squats (no weight) - 3 - 15-20 - 3 - 4020 - 60 Seconds

2a - Laying dumbbell leg curls - 1 - 8-10 - 2 - 4120 - 75 Seconds
    2a - Laying dumbbell leg curls - 2 - 8-10 - 3 - 4120 - 60 Seconds
    2a - Laying dumbbell leg curls - 3 - 8-10 - 3 - 4120 - 60 Seconds

2b - L-Lateral Raise - 1 - 10-12 - 2 - 3110 - 75 Seconds
    2b - L-Lateral Raise - 2 - 10-12 - 3 - 3110 - 60 Seconds
    2b - L-Lateral Raise - 3 - 10-12 - 3 - 3110 - 60 Seconds

3a - Seated Hammer Curls - 1 - 10-12 - 2 - 3010 - 75 Seconds
    3a - Seated Hammer Curls - 2 - 10-12 - 3 - 3010 - 60 Seconds
    3a - Seated Hammer Curls - 3 - 10-12 - 3 - 3010 - 60 Seconds