Athletic recruiting | FerrariChat

Athletic recruiting

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by fullmonty, Sep 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Anyone here have any experience with NCSA athletic recruiting. My son is a junior in high school, plays soccer and would like to play college soccer.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Lightguy's son played soccer at Notre Dame, you might PM him if he doesnt chime in

3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I have no direct experience with this company (although their headquarters are here in Chicago) but I was a division one swimmer and I coached swimming and water polo for fifteen years. From my experiences I always told parents to look at the total number of athletic scholarships available to current college juniors, sophomores, freshman, and high school seniors, and if your child was in that number, there may be an athletic scholarship available for your child. If you are not in that number, there probably isn't. I believe soccer, like swimming, is limited to 9 athletic scholarships for div 2 and 9.5 athletic scholarships for div 1 per team. So there are roughly 10-12k scholarships available. Most college coaches I knew tended to break those scholarships into partials. How connected is your son's coach? I know in Illinois the All State rankings are very political. This doesn't mean great players don't get recognized if the coach isn't connected, but it does make it more difficult. There is also a big difference between playing college sports and getting money to play. I knew a fair number of coaches who would help good athletes who were academically strong get non athletic scholarships to get them to swim. So while they weren't technically scholarship swimmers, they were swimming in college. Hope this helps.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    We never used any of those recruiting company. But, I have been through successful NCAA recruiting in both equestrian and volleyball, My suggestions are: 1) speak with his high school soccer coach and let him know of your son's interest in playing in college. He should have some college coach contacts to help get you started; 2) complete the recruiting info forms and email as many college teams as you can with his stats and send them videos of him playing. You need to keep sending e-mails any time your son receives an accolade, such as MVP, makes All State, team captain, ect...; 3) enroll your son in as many soccer camps being held at various colleges your son may want to attend; and , 4) enroll him in soccer combine type events usually held at traveling soccer clubs in your area. Unlike football and baseball, colleges recruit more at private soccer and volleyball clubs than they do a high schools. It's a lot of work and good luck!