Alkaline Diet vs Alkaline System | FerrariChat

Alkaline Diet vs Alkaline System

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Piper, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There was a discussion recently on a friend's facebook page regarding the myth that an alkaline diet can combat tumors. Specifically, the discussion was regarding a sensationalist article suggesting that supplementing with significant quantities of sodium bicarbonate might cure cancer. I started asking some questions to get to the bottom of whether an alkaline diet has any appreciable impact at all in terms of prevention, not cure, but the conversation died off before I could get answers from the seeming expert or experts. I have a close friend, my best man, who has twice survived colon cancer and his body and life are permanently altered from the necessary surgeries. He and his wife have done immense amounts of research on the topic, and I freely confess there's an immense amount of conflicting and misinformation on the topic of nutrition, but they maintain a highly alkaline diet now as a lifestyle. My nutritionist wife swears by it as an important aspect of an overall healthy diet, not eating sodium bicarbonate, but a glass of lemon water, or some apple vinegar, lime in soda water, whatever it be, along with a general trend toward more alkaline foods. Healthy nutrition packed foods tend to be more alkaline to start with, so we're not choosing food items based on alkalinity. Just happens to be the case.

So the question for, preferably experts, is there any evidence that making a concerted attempt at consuming alkaline food and drink have any appreciable impact on acidity in the body systemically, or is the body's ability to adjust acidity itself far more efficient than to be impacted by a tablespoon of vinegar here and there? Would striving for a more alkaline diet take stress off the body and thereby also assist in general health and prevention? Or is it a waste of time?

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm not an MD, a nutritionist, or an immunologist, so I'll probably get flayed alive for the following.

Eat a diet that isn't terribly high in sodium, such that your body has an easier time maintaining a proper sodium/potassium level.

Keep the amounts of sugars you consume low.

When eating fats, keep them natural - not "hydrogenated." Nuts, seeds, butter, avocados, coconut, etc are good - just don't be a pig.

Inflammation is your enemy! Consume things like turmeric, ginger, black pepper, and peppers with capsaicin.

Otherwise? Keep a decent mineral balance, and don't be horribly concerned with the pH of what you're eating.

Oh.... and some fiber is probably good. :)

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I couldn't agree more on everything you said. All great advice. But I do want to know about the alkalinity thing. We have a habit in our house of throwing a tablespoon of organic apple vinegar in a glass of water with a few dashes of cayenne and tumeric each morning before we get going. Sometimes use lemon water. I'm truly curious how much the vinegar helps. It's an acquired taste to say the least.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Don't really know about the vinegar, other than have at least a few friends who use it in a fashion similar to what you describe. At the very worst? Have a hard time seeing how it would be likely to hurt you. :)

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Aren't vinegar, lemon, lime acidic rather than alkaline?

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    In October 2012, had a colleague diagnosed with Stage 4 adenocarcinoma. Basically a death sentence as it was in his bones, liver, lymph nodes, etc. Was given 3-6 months to live with only a 20% chance of surviving 2 years if they did all the chemo and treatments that would have made him miserable in the time he had left.

He made a decision not to do the chemo and instead went with the alkaline diet you describe. Completely changed his diet and lost about 40 pounds and, for a time, actually felt better than the extreme fatigue he had had that entire summer of 2012 before being diagnosed.

He made it until the day after Christmas last year, so 3-6 months of life (presumambly most of that in the process of dying) turned into about 13 months of reasonable quality of life time for him following this diet. The last couple of months were tough on him and his family as the cancer took over. But you could look at it that he gained a year extra give or take.

7. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Bob,

I think the problem you are going to run into is defining an expert. Cancer docs are likely going to say there are no peer reviewed studies. Nutritionists may point to some anecdotal evidence. Lots of circular sensational articles that cite each other when you did.

I've never seen anything by anyone who wasn't ultimately trying to sell something. Lots of things in our past that were pushed as scientific nutritional information turned out to be fads.

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd say margarine versus butter would be a glaring example of that.

Unfortunately, that may well push strong & repeated anecdotal evidence to the forefront of what the typical person should rely on, versus the standard, peer-reviewed scientific approach.

Bugger! It seems impossible to know who or what to trust when it comes to biological/medical systems these days. Pure, hard physics and math sure is simpler. :)

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Eat less, work out more. As a guy, 34 or smaller belt. after that it's fine tuning.

90% is easy. We're all discussing/arguing about/making money on the last 10%.

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes. Acidic and alkaline are opposite ends of the same spectrum.

I am certainly no expert, but it sounds like the "alkaline diet" fad stresses the intake of acidic foods (lemon, vinegar, etc.) and other foods that are generally known to be healthy (fruits/vegetables/etc.) as a means of lowering blood acidity levels.

From WebMD (judge the source for yourself):

Alkaline Diet Plan Review: Does It Work?

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I believe there are 2 concepts that validate vinegar, lemon, lime as alkalizing foods.

First of all, there's a big difference between the pH level of these substances OUTSIDE your body vs their pH INSIDE your body. Lemon and lime juices become alkaline (due to their mineral content) when metabolized in the stomach. They are generally recognized as alkalizing foods.

Second, we should also compare the relative pH (1.5 to 3.5) of gastric juices vs the pH of vinegar (pH 2.4-3.4), lemon (pH 2.0-2.6), lime (pH 2.0-2.35) as well as keep in mind that gastric juices need to be kept within range to keep your stomach "happy". If you mix higher pH of vinegar, lemon, lime with gastric juices, the result is that gastric juices are then simply maintained at the higher (more alkaline) safer range of normal gastric juices pH. So when compared to gastric juices, vinegar, lemon and lime are more alkaline.

Gastric juices are required to digest food as well as kill bacteria, viruses and fungi that you inadvertently ingest. If you completely neutralize your gastric juices, you will suffer sever malnutrition as well as gastric infections and increase the likelihood of allergies to common foods.

12. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Anybody knows or heard of kangen water? What's your opinion on it?

13. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast

I think that's pretty solid advice. Thumbs Up.

14. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Moderation is everything.

Eat what you want.

Drink what you want.

Don't over indulge in either.

Smoke a cigar every now and then.

15. wantert

wantert Rookie

Dec 19, 2014
    CA
    my doctor was really into this type of diet and also drinking alkaline water. I didi it and i don't really believe into it. I didn't notice any difference when i was on it.