New Bicycle Advice | FerrariChat

New Bicycle Advice

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by walnut, Dec 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've recently moved to Holland and commute by bike everyday. I'm only here until next summer and well, I was thinking about getting a new bicycle when I get home to ride during my lunch break to continue the exercise I've been getting (lost quite a bit of weight, less asthma related issues, etc.). My current bike is a mountain bike which is great for what I'm using it but I'm thinking about getting something more road focused.

Question is, would I regret getting a single speed road bike instead of a 24+ speed? I'm not racing anyone, just want to keep going and know that a single would be cheaper up front and easier to maintain.

I've also been looking a little bit at used road bikes on Craigslist and realize I could get a REALLY good bike for what I'm thinking about spending instead of getting an ok one brand new.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rich, I understand you intend to commute daily on the bike you are looking to purchase.

Here's what I would suggest. Since you seem to be new to biking, you should look around your intended riding routes and see what other people are using and then consider where your physique and exercise preferences lie. This will allow you to leverage what other people have already learned, sorted out for themselves and let you identify where where your own potential lies within the spectrum of riding preferences that are practical for your intended routes. Once you narrow down most of the issues, you can even become more creative with your biking, after you rack up some useful experiences of your own. But for starters, you would do best by learning from people who have already figured out how to commute on your routes.

I would not pick a 1-speed or a multispeed bike based on finances or maintenance requirements. Neither of these 2 issues would affect anyone if they are looking to optimize their daily biking commute. As I said, you should first reflect on where your biking potential lies, before deciding on what part of the technical spectrum you should shop your bike from. However IMO, unless you are race-training on a fixed wheel, 1-speeds are only for posing. It's best to join a serious bike group/club to learn how to ride fixed wheel (fixies) as doing so with no experience on a city route is not a good idea.

As for buying used over new, be very careful buying sight unseen And you need to be an expert to pick a good used one or simply lucky - same as with cars. I would also not buy a used carbon frame or carbon fork bike as structural damage to carbon components are often not visible... until they suddenly fail.

Enjoy your commutes!

3. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Michael,

Thank you for the advice. I'm glad you mentioned the issues with buying a used carbon frame/fork bike. I should have thought of that on my own, but honestly, I'm not sure it would have crossed my mind until it was too late.

I guess I wasn't too clear in my original post about what I intend to use the bike for. Currently, I'm commuting by bicycle and love it. When I get back home though, that won't be possible. The new bike that I'm looking at purchasing would only be used during my lunch break to ride around the "campus" where I work which is quite flat. This would just be for continuing exercise.

Your advice applies none the less. Thank you.

4. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Sounds like the perfect situation for one of the newer-style city bikes. Internal gearing, fenders, and upright bars, but more lightweight and with less relaxed geometry than yesteryear. Swobo makes bikes like this. City bikes are super versatile and are almost always the right answer unless you're going to suit up for a road ride or plan to go bombing down some single-track.

Outside BMX and the velodrome, single-speeds and fixties are an aesthetic statement, not a practical solution to a real problem.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rich, I re-read your original message and I realize I didn't quite put together the full sense of what you explained. I thought you simply wanted to explore bikes beyond the mountain bike you currently commute on. I missed your point about the campus environments.

I was enthusiastic about cycling when I was in university. I was an active member in the local bike club and learned from experienced riders and racers including a buddy who was the provincial time trial champion. If you get serious about riding bikes, you will soon have multiple bikes and your daily ride would be on a beater that mimics the feel of your "serious bike(s)" but is otherwise heavier, more robust and less expensive to kit/repair. We saved our serious bikes for races, important tours and important training rides.

Do you intend to train on the campus grounds or do you simply want to commute to, around and back from campus? You should reflect on your personal nature, whether you are naturally competitive, tend to always go to the limits; or do you normally take a more practical approach and restrain how far you delve into sports. In either case, I think you should begin with understanding what sort of bike frame your next bike should have. This will lead to understanding the level of components the frame should use. Multiple gearing will make the bike versatile. You can always put a track cog on a road bike. That's what we used to do - otherwise riding around the street on a track frame is asking for grief.

If you are competitive you will eventually look at carbon frames which tend to be much lighter and more compliant in feel but know that they are also generally not as durable as metal frames unless you are very careful and avoid accidents. Otherwise I think steel alloy and aluminium frames are generally more practical if you want to restrain your budget and urge to be competitive. Ask bike shops about bikes left over from previous years - they can be offered with steep discounts in late Fall and Winter. Bike shows also feature attractive deals but you must do your research beforehand.

FWIW, the weather here is pretty awful at the moment so I train on a carbon cyclocross bike with fenders doing circuits in suburban neighbourhoods that lend well to allowing me to make (almost) all right hand turns (so I don't have to stop or cross intersections). I imagine your campus will offer similar or better conditions, just keep a lookout for the buses, local wildlife and unsuspecting students. ;)

6. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Are disc brakes worth getting on a road bike? I love the ones on my mountain bike that I'm currently using as a commuter but well, it seems as though they've only just started to be on road bikes over the past couple of years like its a gimmick to make more money on selling what people want over what they need.

7. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I crash everything at slow speeds. Fast has been no problem. My iceboat is carbon fiber for strength & speed, but I've avoided carbon fiber on my road bike. Titanium holds up better when you loose your bike out from under you after slipping on thin oil or a road full of milk...yeah, I've done that too...

8. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Unless you are riding in a lot of rain, and or snow disc brakes wont make much difference...you can also throw some narrow wheels on your mountain bike to make your bike an easier ride also...

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They want folks to buy complete new bikes and discard all their existing (and often very expensive, very high tech) wheelsets and components. Disc brakes compromise many critical features of well-designed road bikes - aerodynamics, ease of maintenance, low weight, broad selection of components as well as aesthetics.

Hacking MTB brakes onto road frames with no regard for common sense or love of the sport is cynical and it's not just me who say this, all the bike shops here I speak to also see it the same way. They don't want them and serious bike riders don't want them either. Even the pro tours, those venues that function as show windows for merchandise don't want them and they have been politically pressured to take them and flog them nonetheless. At the end of the day, the teams and riders still want to be in the game and win races. Disc brakes do not make good sense to them.

I guess it happens when greedy people sink a huge whack of money into useless low-tech technology and inventory hoping shoppers would be just dumb enough buy them. They were looking for easy money but now they're stuck and want to pass their mistakes onto unwary shoppers.

10. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Once winter is over or the knobby tires on my mountain bike finally wear out, I'm going to replace them with a higher pressure and narrower set of "street" tires to make my commute a bit easier. I've been riding at least 4 days a week, often all 5 (sometimes I take my motorcycle instead) no matter what the weather is. Once I get home, I'll do my best to keep the same schedule for lunchtime riding at work with the only exception being lightning storms which strangely enough there doesn't seem to be much of here. The mountain bike will probably go to work in the winter with me so I can ride on snowy days, etc.

Sounds as though getting a road bike with disc brakes is pretty much what I thought, an unnecessary expense.

11. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #11 walnut, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Ok, its time for my next stupid question. What about the option of getting a track frame (alloy, not carbon) and equipping it with an internally geared rear hub with coaster brake? I've read great things about that shift mechanism. Basically building something up from components... No, I don't normally do things the easy (or correct) way so this sounds fun to me and would let me build it into exactly what I "think" I want instead of what's available off the shelf. Other thoughts were flat bars with bar ends integrated in the grips which I am more comfortable with than drops and a set of triathlon style bars on top to allow for different hands and body positions on longer rides. Yes, I know I will not be able to afford top end components on my budget but that's ok with me. I want a comfortable bike that enjoy riding (yes, I want it to be aesthetically pleasing, I'm shallow like that when it comes to these things) not a top end race bike. If I ever get to the point where I want to do something competitive, I'll buy a quality race bike and budget appropriately.

More in line with what is probably a better idea, I've been researching bikes quite a bit and have found some that seem to be well equipped for less than $1k by Fuji and Felt. Any reason not to continue looking at either of those?

I'm sure that first thought might get ripped to bits, but just bear with me, I'm trying to learn and want this to be fun or I'm afraid I'll just stop once I get home and everyone I work with is constantly going out for lunch instead of exercising.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 4th_gear, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    I don't know much about coaster brakes but they have been around for a very long time and they worked OK, sort of, for slow-moving bikes. They don't provide the modulation and control you would want if you need to suddenly stop from high speeds. Front brakes give better stopping power but coaster brakes are rear-only. They're going to skid if you brake too hard and suddenly so they're really meant for gentle riding.

If you really want the novelty of riding a track frame or fit in with the campus scene I think you'd be better off to get a fixie like a Bianchi Pista which is a metal track frame with 2 rim brakes as well as a fixed wheel. Just be aware that you should allow for a bit of a learning curve.

BTW, fixies often come with brake levers that operate from the tops of road bars instead of along the drops so you can ride with a more upright position. Tri bars are not comfortable for casual riding. They won't work for what you intend and you'd look kind of silly (way over posed).

In the end, hopefully you will realize that riding a bike in of itself is the reward.

13. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hmm... Lots to think about, thank you.

14. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Ok, next stupid question. Last night, while researching, two more options came to mind.

1. Buy a good road frame and use the hardware from an old "guest" bike we have sitting in the basement that no one ever uses to get it up and running. From here I can upgrade components as I go along. Granted, the old bike is a mountain bike so the gearing won't be up to the ratios normally used on a road bike, but it could be enough to get me rolling with only having to buy the frameset and wheels to start. This would get me a dedicated road bike and keep my dedicated mountain bike totally separate.

2. Buy a new full-suspension frame to replace the one on my current mountain bike. Buy getting a rear shock for it with a lock-out feature I could make this my one bike with multiple uses. Would it be ideal for road use? No, not really, but it would get me a better mountain bike which I could use for my exercise bike with a second set of wheels/tires to swap out depending on the weather or what I'm going to do. The roads around work aren't in the best shape and I have had issues with my wrists getting VERY sore anytime I've ridden a solid fork bike due to some old injuries from ice hockey so I'll admit, I'm a bit leery of a traditional road bike fork anyways. In this case, I'd be able to use almost all of the components from my current bike which I do really like even though its quite old.

Thoughts?

15. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I haven't read this entire thread; but I would compare a rear hub coaster-brake to driving a car with only a hand brake. majority of the braking is done by the front wheels on a bike, just like a car - don't do it!

Mountain bike, road bike - doesn't matter for fitness, get something you're comfortable with and fits you well.

mountain bike components on a road bike is unlikely to work without major modifications. I may suggest you're over-thinking this :) Do you want to ride dirt or road or both? go from there.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No. Bad idea unless you are a masochist. :) You will waste money, time and lost biking opportunity. Make up your mind - do you want to ride road or play with unorthodox ideas? it's easy enough to find an inexpensive road groupset on eBay.

Again, do you really want to ride road or play with unorthodox bike ideas? First of all, any suspension component on a road bike would make it very energy inefficient. An energy efficient road bike is the opposite to an effective MTB - a fast road bike has to be very stiff (and light) so the effort from your legs fully transmit to forward motion.

Suspension bikes are completely different in focus - MTBs spend a lot of time descending tricky rough downhills, hitting or jumping over bumps. MTB = lots of downhill energy absorption. Road bike designs focus a lot on ascending smooth uphills. Road = lots of energy transmission (to the road), tackling high winds/high speeds and nasty uphills.

So good road bikes need to be stiff, aerodynamic and light. Get it? ;)

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I use only fixed gears with aero bars now, basically pursuit bikes. It's like the minimum common denominator of bikes, you can't go wrong. Without rear brake and gears they're also pretty hard to beat weight-wise and there isn't much to steal or break if you leave it locked outside. Training on one also makes your pedalling rounder and more efficient and as you'll have to stand up on climbs, it makes your upper body fit too.

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Cafe Racer ;)

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Or a chopper ;)

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good one!

21. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #21 walnut, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Thanks to the input I've received here, from my friends that are avid bikers, and lots of internet research I have decided to spec out and piece together a traditional style of road bike (rigid fork and frame) with road bike components. So boring! I hate it when I'm talked down from my flights of fantasy! Thanks all from saving me from a potentially costly and stupid mistake.

Why would anyone want to do something like that ;) Don't worry, as soon as I get home I'll be working on the Jersey Devil again.

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ...can be fun and good training; gotta start slow though, get gearing right, make sure toe straps keep feet fastened and... anticipate braking. :)

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    One brake at the front is all you need if you ride fixed. You just apply force back-pedalling for the rear without even noticing it. On Tri bars makes even more sense as you can decelerate without taking hands off the bars.
    I used to race road bikes but since in London where it's pretty much flat, a good light track bike with one brake at the front is all I need and the workout is great. You get in the zone when there's absolutely nothing else to think about rather than pedalling. No gear changes, relaxing your legs, taking it easy. Just going faster and faster like in a velodrome.
    Obviously you can flop the rear wheel on most of them to ride single speed at the beginning but then it gets natural and kinda feels weird on regular bikes. In Amsterdams or the Netherlands in general there is hardly anything else than flats so gears are not necessary and fixed are generally faster. I love them, build my own ones and sell some too

24. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Sweet! Just placed my order... I'll update with info and pictures once it arrives.

25. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #25 walnut, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here she is! Meet "Victoria", my new Ribble R872. Full carbon frame and fork combo with alloy seatpost and bars. Completed with a Campagnolo Centaur 2x10 groupset and a set of Campagnolo Khasim wheels (good everyday alloys from what I've read) and Vitoria tires. Yes I know its not one of the BIG name brands but the bikes themselves seemed to have very good reviews, let me have all of the types of components I wanted to get, and did so at a reasonable price. Oh and yes, those are big dual platform pedals on there with the nice orange reflectors built in. The reflectors are required here for use after dark (so I've been informed) and I don't like riding clipless pedals with all of the stop and go I have to do normally but these give me an option to use any shoe I feel like or my bike shoes. When I get back home, they'll come off and the clipless pedals will go on... maybe.

I am still waiting on fenders, lights, relfectors, etc. ordered from other vendors to arrive before I can ride it to work and probably will keep it as a fair weather bike until I get used to the shift/brake mechanisms. Also, after taking her out for a short spin I realized the stem was far too long and have ordered a replacement and will be flipping it when I install it so it is 10 degrees up instead of down. For now, at least, that will make it much more comfortable as I am used to a much more upright riding position. I've had to add an aero-wedge bag to carry tools, patch kit, and spare tube, a mini frame mounted pump, and will be putting on a second cage shortly. At some point in the future I'd like to upgrade to a deeper section carbon/alloy aero wheel but I'll ride these until they're no good first.

What I still cannot believe is how light it is compared to "Victor", my Gary Fisher Piranha MTB that I'm currently using as a commuter. I'm glad I let myself be talked into getting a proper road setup instead of cobbling together some hodge-podge of parts. Thanks for the advice all!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login