FOR THE OLDER FOLKS | FerrariChat

FOR THE OLDER FOLKS

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by FerMaz, Apr 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have been reading the threads on fitness and they all seem to be involving the younger generation which I think isa great because the sooner you start the better off you afre going to be. Keep in mind that anyone who is in their fifties or younger is young for anyone who is in their seventies or older.

So lets see if we can get a site started for anyone in their 70s or older. What do you do to stay in shape and keep your weight down. We can all benefit from your experience.

I will try and start. I am 80. I was gaining weight and losing fitness so I started weight watchers and tai chi and walking. Also did some light weights with repititions. It woked for me and I lost over 50 lbs in two years and am keeping the weight off. Also I love weight watchers because whenever I am hungry I can eat all the fruit and veggies I want to fill up. Tai chi is great for older folks like me because it helps you with flexibility and balance.

Lets hear for some of the older guys and gals.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm one of the younger lads you mentioned, but I think it is (excuse my language) ****ing awesome you're doing what you're doing. Fantastic!

I wish my parents would start working out.

Many kudos to you sir.

3. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Mel,
    Good for you!..never too late to start. I'm 68,been doing triathlons for four years..inspired by my sons and daughters..couple of full bore iron men in the group...I finished a Olympic length and did the swim leg of a half iron last year(five years ago I couldn't swim across the pool sideways and didn't own a bike,or running shoes either). Ran a half marathon last fall,too...now that was hard.( I had been going to the gym but just piddling really). Haven't committed to an event yet this season,but just narrowing my aim..I've actually been taking it pretty easy. I'll also say that swimming is a true joy;it leaves you wonderfully tired and not beat up,not like biking which is pain and torture(mainly in your neck and butt) and running which is starting to bother my feet..I know,I've got some adjustments to make..but again swimming is fabulous.
    If you have a chance,read What Makes Olga Run..Google Olga Kotelko..she holds 23 world records track and field,her ag 90/95..truly mind boggling.
    The wife sez I need to do yoga,but I'm wired too tight in body and mind..which is why she sez I need it..but she enjoys it and it works,for her.
    But keep up the good work..keep moving,eat good,sleep good..keep it up.
    Cheers,
    RE

4. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ralph

Fantastic. i think you are an inspiration to all of us young and old. I really enjoyed your comments about swimming because as you get older the impact sports begin to get to you. Swimming has great cardio and doesnt cause some of the problems that impact sports can. I am definitly going to read about Olga and may add swiming to the schedule. Thanks for your input. I hope we get some more comments from people about what they are or are not doing.

Mel

5. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Would be great if we could get a few more people to participate in this thread.

6. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Mel,
    I meant to put in a word about massage too. A masseuse can do wonders manipulating the fibers in the fascia and I never considered the therapeutic side as much as the relaxing side.
    These new foam rollers can feel good too if you can't get to the table right away but there's a good chapter in the Olga book about the process. I'll say more later,right now I gotta take the chicken off the grill.
    Cheers,
    RE

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    my uncle and his friends(62-68) started crossfit and yoga when they retire and progressed to triathlons.

results are less arthritis pain, better medical numbers (BP,sugar cholesterol etc) less med taken

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Hoodude you are my inspiration to complete a Olympic length triathlon.

I put in writing ...

9. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Juan,
    And finish was "all" I did...the swim was a total washout,twenty five mph wind over the damn big lake,there were white caps!..wave action fought you completely on two segments of the triangle shaped course,awful..and it was late April and had been chilly so the water was numingly cold,sixty iirc but don't quote that,wetsuits help a lot but hands feet face are numb,face is actually stinging,the wave troughs were so high the buoys disappeared,and the wind blew the finish marker over,it was one of those blow up figures that wave around and dance,it didn't work today..har. I kept going way off course...I recall the guy on the paddle board yelling"you're going the wrong way".. No she it ...but I was mentally whipped before I even got in the water...
    The bike was ruff too..I mentioned the wind..but the blow was protected a tad by woods and brush and hedgerows close to the roadway..but I kept moving. And the run was anti climatic...I recall jogging to the sound of music being played at the finish line,which was a relief to cross.
    Thanks,really..but that race was a true beaotch...
    Cheers,
    RE

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    If in your sixties , you go from the couch to the finish line then you should be inspiration for many.

My goal is to be doing tris , hockey and other sports until I slide into the grave. To me it's about having a better quality of life as I age . Not to be your typical older/old person who can't run upstairs or chase their grand kids.