Training for high heat ? | FerrariChat

Training for high heat ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Aug 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The endurance races are kicking my but

Think the last one the cool vest & helmet blower weren't working or it was so hot they were just nullified. I'm guessing it's 120-130 in the cockpit.

Do I need to work out in a sauna to handle this ?

After last race I made it back to RV & lay down for 30 min to recover

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Cardio. Lots of cardio. Then more cardio. High heat cardio. Running (not lightly jogging). HIIT training. Interval training. I'm talking 1000-1500 calorie sessions multiple times a week...and then more running.

Mark

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    While wearing jogging pants and jacket.

Hot yoga might be a good idea too.

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks, can't run but I can do it on my bike on the beach

5. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    You need to find a way to go high intensity (I mean extended high heart rate and sweating buckets intensity) and if you can do that on the beach, awesome. If not, check out other venues. The beach has always been too crowded for me to ever really train hard, at least on a bike. Also, you have to increase your resistance, which means a lot of hills on the bike.

Mark

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    training intensely in the heat acclimates yourself to the heat. and it takes time

7. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    What Mark said - and get yourself a stationary bike and as others pointed out long pants and jacket......turn off the AC (or outside) and get going. But start out slowly and work your way up.

8. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Yep. The key is to raise your body temp and sustain that raised temp to train your body to deal with it. Everyone deals with heat and humidity differently, but you can train yourself to adapt, but it takes A LOT of work.

Mark

9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I've been running forever, but lately I've been really enjoying running in Houston's triple digit heat! I'm building my endurance at a faster-than-normal rate, and I'm leaning out more than ever. It's very difficult at first, but the human body is amazing in how it can adapt and succeed in a tough environment.
    Greg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    They mentioned on the telecast that the F1 guys were doing this before Singapore, riding stationary bikes.

11. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Adding heat to a workout is a terrible idea unless you are an elite athlete or are doing yoga.

Like Joker said, high intensity interval training. The make you puke twice kind. Most people don't know what a hard workout feels like and are very surprised when they finally do one.

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I would think that one of the more critical issues is cognitive functioning at those temps. Even with training to condition the body to heat there is still the issue of the brain getting to hot. Visual motor coordination is useally the first to go, it's one thing running or riding a bicycle but it's a whole 'nother ball game piloting a 200MPH race car. There is a lot of brain processing going on as a race car driver.

heat training for cardiovascular efficiency is a good idea, though it sounds like something that should be monitored by a trainer familiar with doing such as hyperthermia is dangerous on the brain.

A couple links to cover the basics:
    F1 Framework: Psychological and physiological demands of F1
    Car racing: in the heat of competition

Here's an article on vapor compression vests.
    http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2238&context=iracc

Apparently there are sauna suits for hyperthermic conditioning as well.

13. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I too - like others here - advocate cardiovascular training like HIIT -- biking is an option if running doesn't work BUT -- I'd highly recommend getting a once over from at least a GP or a plus would be a cardiologist.

Have a stress test, and EKG done under medical supervision so you can see any potential issues.

after that -- start small and work your way up..A clean diet full of natural vasodilating foods will also help

Good luck on your journey!

14. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Bikram Yoga
    90 minutes 26 poses in 102degree heat

it improves your concentration as well as stamina

15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Crossfit.

No AC, high intensity, constantly varied.

If you'd like to try it for free let me know. I go to one up in Pompano but it would give you an idea of what to expect. We train all year in the heat. You'll work your way into it but you will work like never before. I lost count of just how many "in shape" people came in and couldn't keep up.

Every location has a different focus and mindset so be sure to look around and find the one where you click and won't get hurt.

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #16 WILLIAM H, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I started working out In sauna at 125 F doing a long complex set including squats & upper body. I look like I just came pit of the pool after 20 min. It definitely helped w the racing. Now I just need to fit an excercise bike in there LOL.

As for elite athlete, yeah !!! ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I def had at least two ridiculously hot races. Sebring in Aug & another summer race at Homestead. After 55min @ Homestead @ 130F in the race car my judgement was out the window. The Sebring race was just brutal.

Luckily I recently discovered a head cooling system by COOL SHIRTS that I'll try put in the spring.

No more sauna training for me till March :)

18. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I would agree. I started at a box in Vegas in June. It's run by all military, ex-military, and other law enforcement personnel. Their original focus was getting people prepped for boot camp or selection for spec op units. They've since established a more diverse clientele, but the workouts are still rough. The guy who programs everything LOVES long, grueling workouts with lots of cardio and lots of outside in the sun and heat. We definitely have our heavy days, but that's not the main focus.

In the heat, it's brutal, but the results speak for themselves. As you said, lots of athletes come in and get killed. It's a really humbling, but fun, environment. Great group of people there.

Mark

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Its a game changer

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Heat coming back to MIA. I dropped 20# since Jan.

Going back into Sauna soon

21. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Was karting yesterday, that's a Beehatch of a workout.

Was far more strenuous than a 2 hr bike ride.

It's like you're wrestling w the kart.

22. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Break any ribs. I know cart racers that wear what looks like a modified flack jacket. Intense for sure. (Of course, depends if you are talking about a bike ride on a level road or bombing down the side of a mountain.)

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes got my rib vest on & a motorcycle armor suit

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Car racing when outside temps 75+ even with a cool suit can really tax your body. When temps 90+, a little longer race, and no or little cool suit = torture! :) my early days racing in Texas you had to put up with heat or never race, we didn't wear cool suits either. I was doing triathlons at time and running half-marathons, but when I hurt end of a race I knew everyone else was hurting that much worse. Many times racers had heat stroke symptoms and ambulances were called. There is only so much you can do, but do all you can!

1) As said expose yourself to heat much as possible and high intensity workouts in heat (HR racing can hit near your max, so workout near max). Running is best, hard to get your HR up that high walking or cycling, so maybe stair climber? Summers college I worked a warehouse job where it was 90+ inside 10 hour shift. My body got so use to it I couldn't stand the AC on at home.

2) If you don't have one already, spend $10 on a window air vent that blows right at your head. Easiest thing to do and makes big impact!

3) I never used a cool suit, but get the best one you can.

4) Stay hydrated days before and during event, no partying with Bubbles!

5) After each session pour cool water on head and put icepack back of neck. Also get back into AC to recover.