Another ankle thread - Broken? | FerrariChat

Another ankle thread - Broken?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ProRallyCodriver, Mar 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Think I may have broken my ankle/foot but it was 6+ weeks ago. How screwed am I?

First few days in January took my son sledding. Was standing at bottom of hill watching and standing guard of the one lightpole obstacle. Sure enough, he headed directly toward the lightpole and was not jumping off. I diverted him using my leg using the inside of foot. Several seconds later got that nausea lightheaded feeling. Limped inside.

Swelled like a balloon, especially the knob on the outside. It turned black and blue from knee to toes including toes. Since I was able to walk on it, figured it was sprain or torn something, but not broken.

After swelling and discoloration went away after a several weeks and still painful I began wearing a soft cast from knee down that I had from when I broke a toe thinking whatever was torn needed to be immobilized to grow back together. Did that 3 weeks.

Starting new job and didn't want to show up first day with a cast on my leg so got an ankle brace. Foot/ankle still tender to touch on all sides and up/down motion slightly limited. Difficult getting comfortable to fall asleep. My pain tolerance may be affected due to daily high doses of Cymbalta for nerve pain. Sometimes gets cold sensation or pins & needles more than other foot. Top of foot still appears slightly swollen.

So now am stuck. Does not seem to be healing. I am 49. If it was broken they may need to rebreak if I seek medical attention now. Trying not to spend anything because 3 months in-between jobs. Go back to soft cast when not at office job and hope it heals? Have to go to doctor or will never heal?

Thanx,
    Gimpy & Limpy

2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Sadly, I think you need to have this looked at. In 6 weeks my total ankle should be healed. At 6 weeks, you are still hurtin'. Something's not right.

3. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I'm no doctor, but I would go see someone. In fact, since I am in the DC area too, let me tell you who I would go see. You may want to see a local ortho first, but the best guy around is Dr. Mark Lyerson in Baltimore. It's a schlep, but he is a guru and runs The Institute for Foot and Ankle Reconstruction at Mercy, which deas exclusively with these issues, including for many professional athletes. His web site is https://mdmercy.com/centers-of-excellence/orthopedics-bone-and-joint/institute-for-foot-and-ankle-reconstruction/our-doctors/mark-myerson-md

FYI, I did the same thing at different times to both of my ankles over the past 5 years. It wasn't a break in either case, but was severely sprained and/or torn ligaments. In the worse ankle, I tore three ligaments and essentially wound up with them encroaching on a cavity on the outside of my left ankle. I was a bit pigeon-toed to begin with, but this exacerbated the positioning of my ankle and led to constant pain. After diagnoses with X-rays and MRI, as well as several months of physical therapy, Dr. Myerson correctly diagnosed it and prescribed some very specific orthodic inserts for my shoes which relieved the pain almost immediately.

I have been told by multiple doctors that ankles can take years to heal, and if you tore even one ligament there can be permanent looseness in the joint as a result. I still have some weakness in that ankle and get swollen when I don't wear proper shoes and orthotics, but I can now walk, bike, and (most importantly) drive with a clutch with no problems!

FYI, be forewarned that Dr. Myerson is a bit of an experience. His is a true teaching practice with post-docs and lots of students, and he rolls into the room like a four-star general with a posse. But, he knows his stuff! Good luck to you.

4. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Thanks. Opps. I said 6 weeks. 1st week of January till now is 11 weeks.