Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Health & Fitness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Andrew Menasce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetsurfer View Post
You might test for food sensitivities due to leaky gut. With leaky gut, incompletely digested proteins enter the bloodstream and can deposit in joints and cause inflammation. It was the cause for an arthritis diagnosis for me. Three and four day fasts led to a complete removal of the pain and I realized it was foods causing my pain and other issues. Wound up with over thirty foods that my body had built antibodies to, which wreack havoc on joints, tissue, and organs.

If you want to test with fasting read quickfasting.com before taking one on to make sure you start and finish one right and safely.

ELISA (enzymatic linked immuno sorbent assay) is the food testing that I had done. I had injured my knee at work, and wasn't healing, so implemented my old standby of fasting to assist that, and discovered the food connection to the inflammation throughout my body. It was all started by celiac disease which created inflammation in the gut leading to leaky gut, leading to the formation of the antibodies to combat the proteins leaked into the blood supply.

I have been reading about this and that could very well be it. I do have bad eating habits. I love chocolate and when i have some, i usually do not stop until there are no more left.
Thanks for the link. i will do the fast as i can feel my body is telling me to stop. Even my hair feels dry.

Funny enough, my mother in law told me to take Cambodia pills. I guess she knows me better than i do!

Thanks for the help!!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraripete View Post
Andrew, I too am suffering from elbow pain on both arms. It is golfers elbow. The pain is severe at times. It nearly sways prevents me from sleeping well. In fact I often try to sleep on my arms to immobilize my arms so as to let them rest/relax.

I have a doctor appt next wednesday. I want my life back which means I want to be able to ride my bike and work out again.
Let me know what the Dr tells you. I havent ruled out a possible work out injury but the fact that it comes and goes in pain intensity when i eat badly leaads me to believe it's tied to my poor diet habits. I have done 0 work out with my arms and other than picking up my 3yo son to put him in the car seat, i have carried anything for 2 months+. I bought several creams and even took some ketoprofen for a week or so as prescribed by a Dr friend, and while it reduced it, the pain is still there and goes up after i eat badly.

Im curious to hear what you Dr says.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME308 View Post
in my case, I woke up at night by severe pain, could not even hold a tooth brush in the morning, no talking about a glas of water with a straightened out arm -
self induced by over trainig / stressing ... consequently inflammation of biceps tendon and supra spinatus followed suit
had the injury on both sides (tennis arm = outer elbow) - right side took 6 months, left side took 12 months to completely heal

if your doc could exclude organic bone damages, reumatic or arthritic developements, then good for you ... and good advice as for "give it time"

Do you think i can at least do push ups?

that is exactly where it comes from, rowing/pulling would be another exercise that can easily lead to elbow pain - in general: it comes from OVERSTRESSING

2 months is nothing ... think more 6-9 months, depending on how far the inflammation has gotten, maybe even 12 if you start your training too early...

no, although cutting your blood sugar level / carb intake is basically a good idea

is it more your "inner" (thumb) side of your elbow or the outer (small finger) side ?

inner = golf arm
outer = tennis arm (you also feel a "press pain" as soon as you press on your elbow with a finger)

the problem here is that the small tendons which connects the muscles to the elbow are overstressed and mostly inflamed

so what CAN you do to accelerate the healing process ?
the answer is: STRETCHING (arm/muscles/tendons around your elbow area)

try the following exercises 3 times a day - and see if they help
(you should feel relief and considerable improvement in a very short period of time, aka 5 to 10 days or earlier !)

a) if outer elbow pain:

hold your arm straight down in front of your body, make a fist, now turn/roll your fist towards your body and towards your forearm (you will feel pain now !) grab your fist with the hand of your other arm ... and now try to pull and bend your fist further towards your forearm while holding your arm as straight as possible = RESISTANCE - it will hurt !
hold this postion / extension for 10s - repeat 5x-10x (don`t overdo it in the beginning !)
you will feel how the pain eases

b) if inner elbow pain:

hold your arm straight down in front of your body, straighten out your fingers, roll your hand upwards (you will feel pain !) now grab your fingertips with the hand of your other arm ... and now try to bend your fingers further towards you while holding your arm as straight as possible = RESISTANCE - it will hurt !
hold this postion / extension for 10s - repeat 5x-10x (don`t overdo it in the beginning !)
you will feel how the pain eases

c) hanging !

VERY effective and can be started either right away or as soon as one feels improvement from the above two exercises

necessary tools: wall ladder, pull up bar, bar between door frame or door itself (I used the open door)

grab the bar or upper door rim with both hands, now let your body slowly hang loose, supporting it while "standing" on your toes - straighten your arms completely, don`t try to resist or pull ! you will really feel the stretch all along your arms - and yes, it will hurt in the beginning - "hang" like that for 20s, do 5 reps (again: don`t overdo it) - the more advanced you get, the longer you can hang and the lesser the support from your legs/toes can be ... you will advance fast ! it`s one of the most effective exercises to ease your pain in this matter

well, so far that`s about it

a word of warning: sometimes the pain gets a little worse before it gets better - don`t worry, that`s normal

in case you should feel considerable improvement, maybe even unexpectedly fast, keep on doing the exercises anyway - the pain will come back as soon as you stop - so keep doing those exercises for a couple of weeks to a month even if there are times where you don`t feel any pain, btw. you will learn how to control the pain

but: DONīT start lifting weights too early just because you feel you`re getting better, GIVE IT TIME

since your injury is only a couple months old, you have a good chance that the described exercises will help you - they cost nothing and you can`t loose

so it`s up to you now ... good luck and report back !

Thanks Michael. I feel like i have just consulted with a Dr! Actually, this is even more comprehensive than my Dr visit last month!!

I did do some of the stretching exercises in the beginning but i guess i gave up to soon (was not seeing any improvement). I will do these again.
So you think 6 to 12 months without doing any weight lifting? That will be hard. I already like i lost my volume and look like a teenager .

Last edited by amenasce; 04-13-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Ron
I need to stress the importance of entering and breaking a fast safely. The guide covers it all.
Fasting is great exercise for the self control center of the brain, just as physical exercise is good for muscles.

Leaky gut can be caused by the use of aspirin, nsaids, any pharmaceuticals, as well as infection, trauma, stress, dysbiosis, surgery, other auto-immune diseases.

There are other ways to test for food sensitivities, should you choose not to try fasting. Fasting can be rough/umcomfortable if one has a high toxic load. Start with short ones and work your way up as your discipline improves.

The books Adrenal Fatigue, and Is This Your Child cover other food testing methods some.

A hope an approach from all angles will get you squared away.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenasce View Post
... I did do some of the stretching exercises in the beginning but i guess i gave up to soon (was not seeing any improvement). I will do these again.

So you think 6 to 12 months without doing any weight lifting? That will be hard. I already like i lost my volume ...

no ... you can start lifting again as soon as the pain vanishes considerably ...
then start it all over with light weights and more reps (1/2 to 2/3 of your earlier weight)
stop and reduce weight as soon as you feel the pain getting worse

always go back to the pull up bar and "hang loose" for 20s-30s after each set !
do that consistently !

and don`t worry, your volume will come back, think of your body`s memory effect ... just give it time
(if you don`t take your time now, chances are that inflammation gets chronical ...you don`t want that !)

avoid stuff like rowing, pulling, curling etc. at least for the first couple of weeks after starting over again
pushing is usually less problematic (as long as you don`t start with pressing 200 pounds on the bench of course)

reduce everything that contracts/seizes up your muscles to a minimum
remember, you want to "lenghten" = stretch your muscles and as a consequence also the small tendons that connects them to your bones

while starting over you can do a lot of other exercises where your arms don`t play a role
work yours abs, do squats, add cardio etc., for ex. dead lifts are a pretty good exercise because your arms are straightened out completely and done right,
it`s the best exercise for your lower back and your core stability (besides squats of course)

depending on your age, maybe you should reconsider your goals and go for less volume but more strength, less body fat and more definition, less max weight but more reps

most - self induced - injuries come from continuously overstressing your muscles and tendons by lifting too heavy ...
while at the same time performing weak and simply not "clean" enough = cheating

no pain, no gain was yesterday ... and even then, it was never right

Last edited by ME308; 04-13-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

A good way to get a safe stretch to a tight muscle is to work the opposing muscle(s)-the one(s) on the opposite side of the bone. To stretch a bicep, work the tricep-to stretch a hamstring, work the quad. As the worked miscles tighten upon recovery, it will stretch the opposing one that needs it.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME308 View Post
no ... you can start lifting again as soon as the pain vanishes considerably ...
then start it all over with light weights and more reps (1/2 to 2/3 of your earlier weight)
stop and reduce weight as soon as you feel the pain getting worse

always go back to the pull up bar and "hang loose" for 20s-30s after each set !
do that consistently !

and don`t worry, your volume will come back, think of your body`s memory effect ... just give it time
(if you don`t take your time now, chances are that inflammation gets chronical ...you don`t want that !)

avoid stuff like rowing, pulling, curling etc. at least for the first couple of weeks after starting over again
pushing is usually less problematic (as long as you don`t start with pressing 200 pounds on the bench of course)

reduce everything that contracts/seizes up your muscles to a minimum
remember, you want to "lenghten" = stretch your muscles and as a consequence also the small tendons that connects them to your bones

while starting over you can do a lot of other exercises where your arms don`t play a role
work yours abs, do squats, add cardio etc., for ex. dead lifts are a pretty good exercise because your arms are straightened out completely and done right,
it`s the best exercise for your lower back and your core stability (besides squats of course)

depending on your age, maybe you should reconsider your goals and go for less volume but more strength, less body fat and more definition, less max weight but more reps

most - self induced - injuries come from continuously overstressing your muscles and tendons by lifting too heavy ...
while at the same time performing weak and simply not "clean" enough = cheating

no pain, no gain was yesterday ... and even then, it was never right

So i have started doing the stretch (straighten the arm, make a fist, then pull the fist down and towards my chest with my other hand - i pull my wrist towards my chest 10-15 times and try to hold it pulled for 10sec. I repeat this 5 times a day). I do feel pain/resistance on the outer muscle in my front arm.
And after 2 days, the pain is much less on both arms!
I wont start lifting weights yet but i think you found my issue!
Thank you!
Old 04-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetsurfer View Post
I need to stress the importance of entering and breaking a fast safely. The guide covers it all.
Fasting is great exercise for the self control center of the brain, just as physical exercise is good for muscles.

Leaky gut can be caused by the use of aspirin, nsaids, any pharmaceuticals, as well as infection, trauma, stress, dysbiosis, surgery, other auto-immune diseases.

There are other ways to test for food sensitivities, should you choose not to try fasting. Fasting can be rough/umcomfortable if one has a high toxic load. Start with short ones and work your way up as your discipline improves.

The books Adrenal Fatigue, and Is This Your Child cover other food testing methods some.

A hope an approach from all angles will get you squared away.

I still think i have a leaky gut. Lots of stress over the past 2 years combined to my poor eating habits. I really need a fast and a new diet.

I agree it is a great exercise for the brain and motivation. I had that motivation when i was 18 and lost a lot of weight over a summer..Now at 37 it's harder! But of course completely doable.

Do you fast every now and then? I heard it is also great to do so.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
Quote:
So i have started doing the stretch ...

And after 2 days, the pain is much less on both arms! ...

that`s very good to hear ... and as expected
it also means that you will get your injury (it is what it is) under control !

keep doing the stretching and definetely add "hanging" to your exercises / work outs !

Quote:
...Lots of stress over the past 2 years combined to my poor eating habits. I really need a fast and a new diet.

fasting is a thing you can try ... now and again

but the most important thing will be to adapt not only to a timely limited diet but to a life style change as for your eating habits

it`s really not that difficult, in the beginning you might have to count calories just to get an overview of your calorie intake ... you don`t want to take more calories in than you burn (otherwise you will gain weight, but unfortunately fat not muscles

less carbs/sugar, more protein and yes, a little more (good) fat will do the trick

Old 04-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

I now fast a day or two every few months. With my food issues, it is difficult to eat out and not get contaminated with wheat or any of the other foods I tested positive to antibodies for, so I have used longer fasts (5-10 days), to get me through trips away from home in order to avoid eating at restaurants, as well as for recovering from illness, for some spiritual tuning, and with important decisions needing to be made. With the fasts comes more mental clarity for me, as the fog created by my food intolerances is removed.

It would certainly be best to work on the diet first though; just as outlined by ME308 (all that was mentioned are what I try to abide by), to clean up your system and bring things into a better balance and to a healthier state before fasting, if you think you have been eating that poorly. The detoxification symptoms might be mildly unpleasant, otherwise.

As less blood is used for digestion when it slows or shuts down in a fast, more blood is made available for the damage clean up and repair process. Fasting long enough will bring on catabolism.

Do reduce the sugars, refined and processed stuff, focusing on whole foods, and high content of raw is all the better. It can help to exercise for ten minutes or so after eating a fruit sugar (helps keep blood sugar from spiking), and work to keep a good hydration level. From 25-30 y.o. and on we lose some of our sense of thirst. Start to form a good habit of keeping well hydrated and your electrolytes up for maintaining it.

Hopefully you just have an injury that needs time to heal. You are getting good advice from ME308. I am open to correction if there is anything I've said that might be advised against. It works for me though. Each of us can react differently to things.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

These are my gyro exercisers, which I highly suggest using to strengthen and stabilize your joint support once your well recovered, but before you return to weight lifting or other heavy use of wrists, elbows. They can be used to help the shoulder as well, based on where you hold your hand and arms as you use them. You will feel which muscles come into play with the positions you use. I dont think I can post a video here without a host site, or I would share one of it in operation.

The black ironpower has a stainless steel rotating ball and carries a much greater force to work with, and the plastic unit is lighter and easier to spin up and use but can be more easily speed increased, either giving a decent work out of the forearms, upper arms, wrists, elbows, and shoulder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1368.jpg (37.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Thanks, i will try to find more info on these.

The pain is definitely less intense now but still present. It is driving me crazy to see how frail my arms look. Not that i was really into weightlifting but at least i had some definition.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 AM
F1 Veteran
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: mark k.
I had a chronic pain in my right elbow from over straining it one time.
Tried Bears doc, injections, plasma, etc and no improvement.
Went to a good physical therapist in Skokie and after about 10 sessions the pain was gone for good, I can do pull-ups again with no problem.