Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Health & Fitness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Andrew Menasce
Elbow/Elbow area pain

For the past week i have had a pain in and around my elbows. The pain is mostly in the elbow but i will also feel it down in my forearm (ext) and up in my arm. Strangely, the same pain has started on my other arm also.

I think it happened when i traveled and i carried a heavy bag for too long between gates. Could also be from benching too much and too quick (I got a weight bench a few months ago).
I stopped lifting/benching but the pain wont go away. It's not super painful but it hurts when i pick up my kid for example.

I read i need to ice the area, add omega 3 to my diet and do some streches (elbow and wrist flexors stretch).

Anyone recommend any good cream? Or anything else?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jason
Could be mild tendinitis, but on both arms at the same time sounds odd though. I had it on my right arm for a bit but after a good massage session by a trained PT it pretty much disappeared. I told her I had been using icyhot and she said that was good.

I kept working out through it though because it only hurt with certain movements, so I just didn't do those exercises.

I'd have it looked at, it could be as simple as mine or something more serious like tennis elbow.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:39 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
Commonly referred to as tennis elbow...I have had it and only lost it by working out even further, on Gym weights and machines..

Loved working out so much, I created a line of Fitness machines..
about to enter market this spring..
Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

I ordered Penetrex Pain Relief Medication that has Arnica. Hopefully it will help. It's been almost 2 weeks.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: mark
as above has said... outside of elbow aka tennis elbow. Inside of elbow aka golfers elbow.

I have both!! use a band that you can buy at any sporting goods store, made of wet suit material, and Velcro band to tighten up.. like 20 bucks.

put on about 1/2 -1" below elbow joint.. tighten up to where it relieves pain.

works great!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Buddy
My Garage
I have this and get cortisone shots seems to work for a few months
Old 02-21-2017, 01:46 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

For less drastic and often more effective treatments, try icing 20 minutes, remove ice for the next 20 minutes and re-apply ice for another 20 minutes. Do this twice a day. If you're strapped for time just ice 20 minutes twice a day.

Application of a strong topical anti-inflammatory medication like VOLTAREN would be advisable. Finally, since you have the financial means, if your injury proves stubborn you may want to consider COLD LASER treatments which is available from the more sophisticated physiotherapy clinics. It works immediately on inflammation.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: St Mark
Andrew, I had bad tendinitis from golfing 5X/week and got a forearm brace like this.

It worked instantaneously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31DkKCw5+zL._SY300_.jpg (7.7 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Good exercise for tennis elbow

take tennis ball and stand next to wall. Place ball between wall and elbow and lean up and down having ball roll over painful area. Simple and effective like a foam roller for rest of body
Old 02-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Ron
Those gyro exercise balls are great for this type of pain/injury, where it could be caused by some laxity in the joint due to overuse in one direction or specific movement, and lack of training and development to other supporting muscles of the joint. The exercise balls help to build better support around the entire joint, helping parts to track straight and rub less on things they ought not.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:31 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

The concern with this injury/condition is long-term, chronic inflammation. I ended up with it from sporting clays (specifically, from pulling bore snakes through barrels of my shotguns). The longer it persists, the harder it is to rid yourself of it. Surgical solutions can be necessary in extreme cases, so don't let it get that bad.

CW
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

BTW
Creatine helped me dramatically
By retaining water in my muscles,
I was able to overcome a painful workout until it all went away
For good.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

How old are you? Bear in mind that tendon rupture - particularly in the bicep or shoulder area - increases significantly in males over 40. Ask me how I know

Men tend to ignore these things and work through the pain. If you are feeling pain, see an orthopedist, because any sort of tendon repair surgery is going to take recovery time. Ask me how I know!
Old 04-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
The concern with this injury/condition is long-term, chronic inflammation. The longer it persists, the harder it is to rid yourself of it. Surgical solutions can be necessary in extreme cases, so don't let it get that bad.

CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefabri View Post
How old are you? Bear in mind that tendon rupture - particularly in the bicep or shoulder area - increases significantly in males over 40. Ask me how I know

Men tend to ignore these things and work through the pain. If you are feeling pain, see an orthopedist, because any sort of tendon repair surgery is going to take recovery time. Ask me how I know!
Yes, seek out a doctor for chronic pain.

I had a forearm problem a few years ago. Didn't stop playing hockey and lived with it for 4 years. I finally went to an orthopedist for a bad knee and incidentally asked him about my elbow which I thought was just a persistent strain. Turns out osteoarthritis has set in and is likely irreversible and difficult if not impossible to treat.
I'm currently seeking out treatment options, but it's possible I will lose function of the elbow in the near future.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

I saw a dr for the pain and he couldnt find anything wrong other than the usual you probably hurt yourself while lifting weight, give it time BUT it's been 2 months+ since i last lifted weight and i still feel the pain.

I think it is due to sugar. I noticed the pain is more severe when i eat badly (fast food, ice cream or chocolate for example).
I wonder if sugar is just causing inflammation to that area?

If yes, other than cutting sugar, do you guys know of any supplements or other (tea/drops/...) that i can take to reduce my sugar level? I have been drinking Apple Cider Vinegar and oregano oil.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Have you been examined to rule out any disk issues in your neck?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Ron
You might test for food sensitivities due to leaky gut. With leaky gut, incompletely digested proteins enter the bloodstream and can deposit in joints and cause inflammation. It was the cause for an arthritis diagnosis for me. Three and four day fasts led to a complete removal of the pain and I realized it was foods causing my pain and other issues. Wound up with over thirty foods that my body had built antibodies to, which wreack havoc on joints, tissue, and organs.

If you want to test with fasting read quickfasting.com before taking one on to make sure you start and finish one right and safely.

ELISA (enzymatic linked immuno sorbent assay) is the food testing that I had done. I had injured my knee at work, and wasn't healing, so implemented my old standby of fasting to assist that, and discovered the food connection to the inflammation throughout my body. It was all started by celiac disease which created inflammation in the gut leading to leaky gut, leading to the formation of the antibodies to combat the proteins leaked into the blood supply.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: peter brinzey
Andrew, I too am suffering from elbow pain on both arms. It is golfers elbow. The pain is severe at times. It nearly sways prevents me from sleeping well. In fact I often try to sleep on my arms to immobilize my arms so as to let them rest/relax.

I have a doctor appt next wednesday. I want my life back which means I want to be able to ride my bike and work out again.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraripete View Post
... The pain is severe at times. It nearly sways prevents me from sleeping well. ...

I want my life back which means I want to be able to ride my bike and work out again.

in my case, I woke up at night by severe pain, could not even hold a tooth brush in the morning, no talking about a glas of water with a straightened out arm -
self induced by over trainig / stressing ... consequently inflammation of biceps tendon and supra spinatus followed suit
had the injury on both sides (tennis arm = outer elbow) - right side took 6 months, left side took 12 months to completely heal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenasce View Post
I saw a dr for the pain and he couldnt find anything wrong other than the usual you probably hurt yourself while lifting weight, give it time ...
if your doc could exclude organic bone damages, reumatic or arthritic developements, then good for you ... and good advice as for "give it time"

Quote:
...Could also be from benching too much and too quick (I got a weight bench a few months ago). .
that is exactly where it comes from, rowing/pulling would be another exercise that can easily lead to elbow pain - in general: it comes from OVERSTRESSING

Quote:
...BUT it's been 2 months+ since i last lifted weight and i still feel the pain. .
2 months is nothing ... think more 6-9 months, depending on how far the inflammation has gotten, maybe even 12 if you start your training too early...

Quote:
...I think it is due to sugar. ...
no, although cutting your blood sugar level / carb intake is basically a good idea

Quote:
... i have had a pain in and around my elbows. The pain is mostly in the elbow but i will also feel it down in my forearm (ext) and up in my arm. Strangely, the same pain has started on my other arm also. ...

is it more your "inner" (thumb) side of your elbow or the outer (small finger) side ?

inner = golf arm
outer = tennis arm (you also feel a "press pain" as soon as you press on your elbow with a finger)

the problem here is that the small tendons which connects the muscles to the elbow are overstressed and mostly inflamed

so what CAN you do to accelerate the healing process ?
the answer is: STRETCHING (arm/muscles/tendons around your elbow area)

try the following exercises 3 times a day - and see if they help
(you should feel relief and considerable improvement in a very short period of time, aka 5 to 10 days or earlier !)

a) if outer elbow pain:

hold your arm straight down in front of your body, make a fist, now turn/roll your fist towards your body and towards your forearm (you will feel pain now !) grab your fist with the hand of your other arm ... and now try to pull and bend your fist further towards your forearm while holding your arm as straight as possible = RESISTANCE - it will hurt !
hold this postion / extension for 10s - repeat 5x-10x (don`t overdo it in the beginning !)
you will feel how the pain eases

b) if inner elbow pain:

hold your arm straight down in front of your body, straighten out your fingers, roll your hand upwards (you will feel pain !) now grab your fingertips with the hand of your other arm ... and now try to bend your fingers further towards you while holding your arm as straight as possible = RESISTANCE - it will hurt !
hold this postion / extension for 10s - repeat 5x-10x (don`t overdo it in the beginning !)
you will feel how the pain eases

c) hanging !

VERY effective and can be started either right away or as soon as one feels improvement from the above two exercises

necessary tools: wall ladder, pull up bar, bar between door frame or door itself (I used the open door)

grab the bar or upper door rim with both hands, now let your body slowly hang loose, supporting it while "standing" on your toes - straighten your arms completely, don`t try to resist or pull ! you will really feel the stretch all along your arms - and yes, it will hurt in the beginning - "hang" like that for 20s, do 5 reps (again: don`t overdo it) - the more advanced you get, the longer you can hang and the lesser the support from your legs/toes can be ... you will advance fast ! it`s one of the most effective exercises to ease your pain in this matter

well, so far that`s about it

a word of warning: sometimes the pain gets a little worse before it gets better - don`t worry, that`s normal

in case you should feel considerable improvement, maybe even unexpectedly fast, keep on doing the exercises anyway - the pain will come back as soon as you stop - so keep doing those exercises for a couple of weeks to a month even if there are times where you don`t feel any pain, btw. you will learn how to control the pain

but: DONīT start lifting weights too early just because you feel you`re getting better, GIVE IT TIME

since your injury is only a couple months old, you have a good chance that the described exercises will help you - they cost nothing and you can`t loose

so it`s up to you now ... good luck and report back !

Last edited by ME308; 04-11-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyswfla View Post
Have you been examined to rule out any disk issues in your neck?
I did a few years ago when i had terrible pain by my neck,shoulder that would make my arms feel numb. I went to a few Drs and they didnt find anything and just gave me PT. Then i met an alternative medicine Dr who asked me lifestyle questions and told me my bad eating habits were clugging my vains and pinching my nerves which were where the pain was coming from. He prescribed me pills that he makes himself and after a week the pain was gone.