Shin Splints | FerrariChat

Shin Splints

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Murcielago_Boy, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    I'm light, and fairly lean and fit.
    But I CANNOT run consistently. If I run for once in a week for 20 minutes, for two weeks in a row, the front of my lower legs ache like absolutely crazy. They get so numb and sensitive, that the "impact" walking down the stairs make me sore.

Stop running and it goes away.

Irritating.

Anyone have any experience on how to solve?

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Is that a typo, or did you indeed mean to say that two 20 min runs over two weeks will get you that bad?

3. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    You can build up a resistance to shin splints by escalating your workout very gradually. Your goal is to build up the connective tissue in your legs. Like building muscle, it will take time. Run for five minutes twice a week, do not resume if you are sore. Wait until you are fit again. Build it up to seven minutes, eventually 10 minutes. Build up your cardio with cycling in the interim.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Some years ago I had bad shin splints. I was running about 40 min every weekday, so 5 days a week. I tried to get by by skipping days if it was really bad, or just push through it, but I could never get completely rid of it. I had been running almost daily for years without issues, and it came after a break due to back pain, and it was caused by simply starting to abruptly with the same old regimen. I could not get rid of it. At the time I was also biking, and the solution was to completely stop running for a while, and I just put in more miles on the bike. Now I bike almost daily and run 1-2 times a week - runs are up to 13 miles at a time. For a stretch over Xmas I was without my bike and was running 10 miles every other day without any issues. This is based purely on my personal experience, but if I were you I would completely stop running for a month or so, and then very gradually build up. During that time you should be able to bike without issues to stay in shape. I suppose my experience is consistent with the post above by Nader.

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    You really need to get fitted for the right shoe. As a lifelong runner I've only encountered shin splints once, and that was because of the shoe I bought. My suggestion is to go to a running shoe store and have them analyze your stride. They should have a treadmill and a video camera system to analyze. If you're a pronator and aren't using a motion control shoe, you're going to get shin splints.

6. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Apologies for not being clear.
    Week 1: I go for 20 min run on Sat.
    Week 2: I go for 20 min run on Sat.

That will be enough to give me the beginning of shin splints!
    If I then carry on again:

Week 3: I go fro 20 min on Sat.

My shins will be horribly sore at this point to where at Week 4, I won't be able to run!

You guys run some distance! I'd LOVE to be able to do the same!

A bit more background on me - I've lifted weights for years and probably have overdeveloped quads/glutes VS calves. Never run in my life before..
    @Gator - I will go to a proper Runners shop and do exactly what you've said!

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I 2nd GatorFL. Could be a shoe issue. Get some proper shoes. The only time I get them is when I have run through a pair of shoes.

8. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I had same problem with shin pain. What worked for me, and may or may not with you was 1) bought Hoka One One Clifton shoes; started rolling calves and shins; bought microwave heat packs that I put on calves and shins before runs. Can now run pain free - still too slow but at least I'm running!

The Hokas take a bit of getting used to but their design minimizes the pounding absorbed by the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I've been a runner most of my life, and I used to battle shin splints. Agree with shoes, and two other tips. I wear either full compression tights or compression calf sleeves, which help. Also beware running downhill (I find that if I hold myself back, focus on shorter strides and running slower down help it helps).

10. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
  11. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

last sentence is most important ... stop running !

the pressure sensivity has to completely go away
    (try pressing with your thumb from your patella down to your foot all along your tibia and you know what I mean ;)

it might be hard to accept but that will take on avarage about two months, maybe a little longer to heal !
    don`t start running bevor you don`t feel pain anymore, training "into" the ache is bs

during the waiting time, try to strengthen your feet, your ankles, your calves and your hips -
    muscles in those areas are obviously too weak (don`t do exercises where you "roll" forward and over your foot)

cycling on an ergometer is good for cardio and to keep fit while bridging the time of convalescence -
    but try to stay on the pedals more towards your heels than towards your forefood

after the pain is gone, let your running style be analyzed and use new shoes - as others have suggested

25 years of experience including a lot of evitable - since self induced - injuries ;)

12. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    A little late to this party but have a ton of experience with the issue. The three major causes (for me) are improper/worn footwear, over-training, and getting back in shape too quickly.

1) Go to a specialty running store. Bring your old shoes just in case. They will help you pick an appropriate pair of shoes for your gait.

2) Reduce the volume of miles temporarily.

3) Do exercises, stretch, and ice your shins. Ice bath is preferred (I use one of my car wash buckets). My two favorite exercises are to roll up a towel using my toes and lifting my toes under resistance. You can likely find details about these on the internet. Stretch and roll out any tight areas after running. Stretching a cold muscle does very little.

Source: I ran collegiate cross country and track. I've had pretty much every common running injury and have gotten through them all *knock on wood*

13. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    You simply have to warm up your shins. Move your foot up and down as far as the ankle will pivot and allow 20 times or so until your shin feels warm and gets a cramp feeling, then, rotate your foot in it's full range of motion in each direction until the sides of your shins have the same sensation. Works like a charm.

14. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    It could be a couple of items but the first that come to mind have mentioned already.

Are you warming up and stretching prior to running?

The second cause would be shoe's. I've had a variety of shoe's and have felt this first hand. In one pair I was able to run 10km twice a day. I would run over 50km in a week steadily and never had an issue. Changed to a more expensive pair and had to stop 3km in.

It is most likely one of the two above if not both. Also what sort of terrain do you run? If it is flat than the above are even more applicable. If you are running outside with hills than you may just not have the muscle in the calf/shin to support it yet and should eliminate over time.

15. Eric3

Eric3 Rookie

May 16, 2017
    Same thing was happening with me. My Doctor sayd to wear Anklet. It's better now.

16. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    I suffered with splints for years. Recently converted to zero-drop Altras and pose/toe running. Never realized how much of a heel-striker I was.

I can do anything now.

17. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I am a former collegiate track athlete and I have coached track at the collegiate level for many years, and I have delt with this a lot. First thing is to rest at this point and recover. Next, after a few weeks off or more, come back slowly, then like mentioned before, stretching out the calfs and Achilles tendons as well. You will also want to do toe walks where you walk on your toes to strengthen and stretch your calfs, walk with your toes forward, pointed in, and pointed our. Then walk on your heels just like the calfs. Be gradual with the workouts and make sure you stretch and strengthen you lower legs. First and foremost though is recover so you start back healthy

18. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This.