In Amsterdam for Two Days | FerrariChat

In Amsterdam for Two Days

Discussion in 'Holland/Belgium' started by miketuason, Jul 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just came back from our cruise and decided to stay in Amsterdam till Wed night before I head back home to LA, CA. Is there anything going on while I'm here? Anyone have a little time to meet? I'm staying in the Marriott Hotel near the Hard Rock Cafe, thanks.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #2 Melvok, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    Hi Mike, nice to have a USA Fchat member in our Capital Amsterdam.

I myself am not familiar in Amsterdam at all so I could not guide you there.

But am quite sure you will find all our famous tourist places in the very centre .. including our red-light district at "De Wallen" .. :) (beware of lots of pickpockets!)

Coffeeshops over here in NL sell other things than Starbucks in USA but I think you know that already ... :D

Take a Canal Tour (english spoken!); the guide will tell you more than we ourselves could tell you ... ! It is also hardly possible to travel there by Ferrari ...

Hope you enjouy your stay there, leave us a note about it please !

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Monday and Tuesday night, not the best nights for going out. Bourbon Street in the Korte Leidsekruisstraat used to have great live blues and rock, and Café Alto which is close to there nearer the Leidseplein used to have live jazz 7 nights a week. As you can tell it's been a while since I've been. There is a great ancient pub on het Spui and just across the canal is a great Italian restaurant I discovered last year, Casa di David.

If you fancy checking out some Ferraris you could take a train to Hilversum (half an hour) and take a 5 minute cab ride to the Ferrari dealer Kroymans. They'll be happy to show you around.

Of course there are great museums in Amsterdam, the Rijksmuseum should be on your list now that it's open again. Van Gogh, Rembrandt's house and if you're into boats the Scheepvaartmuseum (maritime museum).

If you're into booze you can visit Heineken or the Bols museum.

Don't leave Amsterdam without trying our junkfood - kroketten, bitterballen, frikandellen, patatje speciaal... It's all good. Even if it is bad. :) Special tip in this regard: Van Dobben in the Reguliersdwarsstraat - it is famous in the whole of Holland for their "broodje kroket".

Final thing: the push bikes are murderous! Watch out!

Onno

4. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    If you have a car (or figure out how to get there by train) - head over to Brummen and see The Gallery. You can have lunch there in their restaurant and see 350+ cars for sale!

It's about a 1.5 hour drive or so from Amsterdam. The Gallery Brummen

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry, this carbroker Gallery is an absolute waste of your time in NL imo ! There are plenty of nice places for tourists to go; f.i. The Hague or Alkmaar

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow! You guys have an awesome country. So far my wife and son are loving it here in Amsterdam. Ok, I took some of your advise , so far this is what we have done:
    1) Hard Rock Cafe
    2) Dam Square
    3) Red light district
    4) Anne Frank
    5) Van Gogh museum
    6) I went to Concerto record store and bought some vinyl LPs.
    7) today we will do the Cana tour.

This is a must come back plan for me, thank you all.

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Glad you're enjoying it! The weather is helping - this is not the way Amsterdam looks usually. :)

Onno

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    In The Hague there's the Louwman museum, one of the best car museums in the world (including some interesting Ferraris).

9. 328gts1987

328gts1987 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I realy can recommand this too, even people without petrol mania enjoy there time.

Did see the PM?

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Mike, safe home in California ?

Do you have reviews/recommendations of Amsterdam for us :D ?