Gallardo Daily Driver Experiences? | FerrariChat

Gallardo Daily Driver Experiences?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by ambrosios1, Aug 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ambrosios1

ambrosios1 Karting

Oct 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ambrose
    I saw some old threads about a Gallardo as a daily driver. Im curious though, since then, how many have used their Gallardo everyday and what have been your experiences regarding reliability and overall wear and tear?

Im really looking to get one soon, but I dont think Id be able to keep her as a garage queen. So damn beautiful and looks very comfortable.

2. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Try doing a search. This topic has been discussed many times.

My experience is the Gallardo would be great as a daily driver. The only major short fall with the car is it's worthless tiny trunk. Don't plan on taking anything with you when you travel!

3. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    If your going to use it in stop and go traffic, you'll soon become very frustrated. Must be something to it, look at all the low mileage ones for sale. Fact is you need space to use 500 HP or what's the point?

4. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    You really dont need space to use or enjoy 500hp. I cant imagine it would be that different then any other stop and start traffic. The low mileage cars are because its a lambo.

5. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Then why are there low mileage Ferraris? Because they're Ferraris? How about a few 911 Turbos? It's more than likely NOT because they're a Lambo, but because something better has come along, they're tired of it, or just don't like it.

6. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    So what it's a Lambo, it's a car, not that far from Audi.

7. pdisme

pdisme Formula 3

Oct 9, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Because exotic owners don't generally drive their exotics as their primary cars or they have a number of cars and no one car picks up a lot of miles.

8. pdisme

pdisme Formula 3

Oct 9, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've got 640 HP in my G-wagen, it's pretty fun in stop and go, especially if a Corvette pulls up next to me. :)

9. microboby

microboby Karting

May 12, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    yes my friend you can drive it every day. Atenttion is not that fun after a while and if you dont mind parking the G at the grocery store , bank , street and a lot of places then your answer again is YES you can drive it every day. G car is very reliable for this use

10. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Exactly. It's not because they're Lamborghinis or Ferraris, it's because of many reasons like the one you just said. They just happen to be one of the cars as you said, people don't generally drive.

11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Lamborghinisti,

I don't own a Galardo but I drive my 91 Testarossa and 97.5 Diablo roadster as regular daily drivers. They get rained on ( Gasp ! ) and bugs on the noses. I of course, maintain them and detail them to death.

They get driven to run errands, pick up groceries and the fast food window. Ahh, this is where the Diablo comes in handy, since you can't reach the window, just lift the door and lean out of the car. .....easy and cool looking to boot ! :)

Now, go drive your F / L car !

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

12. ambrosios1

ambrosios1 Karting

Oct 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ambrose
    Really? Wow, so how many miles have you put on your Diablo? Must be a sight seeing a Diablo at the grocery store :)

13. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    26,500 miles on my TT Gallardo. drive it everywhere..

14. emissary

emissary Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I fundamentally agree with this. I don't see any reason why you couldn't drive the G everyday. It's easy to drive, comfortable, and (so far) highly reliable. My biggest concern is parking and leaving the car anywhere...it just generates so much attention. I know several people who just don't worry about it and haven't had any problems, but I'm still working on it... :)

15. basher

basher Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Full Name:
    Fraser B
    Only been using it for 2 weeks but so far the only thing is trying to get used to the clutch adn 4 wheel drive in traffic ...its superb...

16. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    I think that a Gallardo as a DD all depends on what one does on a daily basis. If you use a G as a commute vehicle on the freeway (with no stop and go traffic) and have dedicated covered parking at both places, it could make sense to drive the car daily. However, if you drive in the city with stop and go traffic and have limited or crowded parking, it would be very impractical to use it daily.

Other considerations if used as a daily....limited trunk space, low clearance, difficulty in parallel parking (hitting the curb = $200 repair), necessity for secured parking, extremely wide doors with pointy ends, painstaking ingress/egress....etc.

17. Ecnal

Ecnal Karting

Jun 28, 2004
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Ecnal
    I put about 5500 miles on an '06 Gallardo, and drove it around town, for commutes, etc. It was a great car and easy to drive. The front is low, but there is a lift switch. Visibility is not bad. The clutch engages low and is not an on/off switch. I have heard e-gears are no fun parking or in traffic, but my 6 speed was great.

The only thing I will say that isn't 100% positive is that I decided to sell the G after I got a ford GT, because I kinda stopped driving the G. The feel of the clutch in the GT was better (to me), and it feels torquier. But if I had to choose one as a daily driver, I would choose the G (visibility and ground clearance being the biggest factors, plus the AWD would help in the wet)

I think the G would be a great daily driver.

18. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Be carefull of an egear car in traffic.
    I got stuck in a jam on the interstate and my clutch started to overheat (beeping noise from under dash area) and had nowhere to pull off the road.
    All I could think about was how much a new clutch costs.

Russell

19. DiMisa1977

DiMisa1977 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2005
    best post so far...

i will say this too, i have a 360 and wouldn't, couldn't even fathom that as a dd....however a G car I can see using as a DD.

20. Mr. Vroom

Mr. Vroom Karting

Mar 7, 2007
    Florida
    I breifly drove my NSX as a daily driver and hated it...... If you have a nice commute, no traffic go for it. But most of us don't and driving an exotic in stop n go traffic sucks. My G is a weekend/fun car, which doesn't mean it is a garage queen either. In about a year of ownership I have put 7k miles on the odometer.

21. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Ditto with all the exotics I've owned.

22. RAllen

RAllen Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Rogue Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Richard Allen
    I'm new to Lambos so please keep my ignorance in mind. TIA.

I've been considering a Superleggera. The fact that it inlcudes Audi tech is actually a SELLING point for me.

OTOH, I am troubled by the possibility of poor resale due to the MANY similar comments I keep hearing.

So would you please explain, in detail, what you meant by the above critcism? Again, TIA.

Peace,

Ricahrd.

23. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    My comment was in response to the comment that "Gallardo's are not driven much because they are Lamborghini's" when in fact they are all Audi and should be able to withstand a daily driving regimen. If this appeals to you then the Gallardo is the car for you.

Many old school enthusiasts are dissapointed in the crossplatforming, parts sharing, and mass production that will surley lower resale value, and Gallardo's have a LONG way to fall when they do since they in fact are a true Audi.

24. RAllen

RAllen Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Rogue Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Richard Allen
    Understood. And yes the Superleggera does sound great. But I dislike the alcantara (ie; fake and overpriced brushed vinyl) interior. If I can find one to test drive .... at a reasonable price .... I might forget about the overhyped Scuderia.

That's what puzzles me. I would think that the desirability of older Lambos would *increase* and that the move to Audi tech and QA, etc, would make the brand *stronger* due to greater consumer confidence in general and specifically due to the modern conveniences Audi offer. E.g. AC that actually works! Who'd thunk it? <chuckle>

But why would anyone other than a "fan" care? I submit that "fans" do little to preserve the "bottom line." The vast majority of exotic car buyers appear to be more pratical. E.g. they strongly consider real world usage, reliability and resale. Among other things (e.g; style, very important and not much to do w/marque, in and of itself).

As an example of the above .... consider how much better Lambo is doing today! Look at how many exotic car buyers now own Lambos who would have never considered it pre-Audi.

Not to mention how often I am asked by the drooling crowds who fail to note the Ferrari logos, "Is that a Lambo?"

Of course, I reply, "Naaah, this is the finest sportscar of it's kind. A Ferrari! Handmade in Italy! Lambos are just wannabe Audis. Made mostly by squareheaded Germans."

Seiously, I would NEVER say anything like that. But I have met some "fans" who would. On both sides of the fence, it seems. <shrug>

I couldn't care less what folks think of my car choices. I didn't buy my F430 for style points. In fact the attention, although nice at times, is usually more of a PITA than it's worth. But I knew that going in so .... no prob. And I am quite sure a Superleggera would garner even MORE attention! <sigh>

Peace,

Richard.

25. RiskArb

RiskArb Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    New York, Hong Kong
    Excellent point. G-car is great around town but the clutch wear w/ e-gear is pronounced. 10 minutes of stop and go and you'll get that overheat warning. Also, if you intend to use this as a daily drive (in an urban area) be prepared for clutch replacement at 5000-7000 miles.

that notwithstanding I love it as a daily driver. e-gear's got that handy "A" (automatic button) so i can eat pizza while i drive ;), running costs (apparently) are lower than an F-car, reliability on late model G's is supposed to be good (08s have 3 year unlimited mile warranty), ...... so long as you let her loose onto an on-ramp once in a while, she'll survive just fine.